car parks and grumbling tyres - Altea Ego
Has anyone noticed this?

On two different cars I have driven over the last week and a half, in concrete surface dry multistorey car parks on slow full lock the tyres make a slippy graunching grinding noise and seem to shudder sideways a bit. Neither car has exhibited this before,,

Then Mrs RF reports exactly the same symptom to me today under exactly the same circumstances. Never happened to her before either.

I can only assume that its something to do with salt carried up the car parks by cars.
car parks and grumbling tyres - doctorchris
My favourite multi-storeys are the ones where even at low speed your tyres squeal noisily.
Just like being in a movie.
car parks and grumbling tyres - wemyss
In my local Tesco carpark at 10mph my tyres squeal when turning a corner.
Funnily enough I never notice it from other cars.
car parks and grumbling tyres - helicopter
The noise is quite common in my local multi storey and a bit unnerving , especially when you have just bought a new car and take it into the multi storey.

I believe it is because the ramps of the multi storey are usually concrete which has a corrugated surface.

Anybody remember the noise made by your tyres on concrete motorway surfaces.I used to hate those sections on the M25 but have not seen ( or heard ) any recently.

As always the builders go for the cheapest option.
car parks and grumbling tyres - Stuartli
The M6 near Preston (and one on the M6 in the Midlands) used to have sections where the concrete surfaces created a very noisy vibration that was quite unnerving - almost as if the engine was about to pack up.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
car parks and grumbling tyres - runboy
A lot of modern car parks have that coating painted on-like you can buy for your garage floor. It's a grey stuff that leaves a plastic coating, I presume to help prevent the ingress of oil, salt water etc.

This coating makes a lovely sound under the tyres, and I'm not 100% sure it provides a good grip, so that maybe explains the shuddering effect?
car parks and grumbling tyres - David Horn
The rumbling sound got me as well - I thought it was the car!
car parks and grumbling tyres - cheddar
Only happens in Woking IIRC!
car parks and grumbling tyres - Schnitzel
Hmmm, not sure they have to be multistory, this has been happening at work as I pull out of my parking space and apply lock, it is like I have a flat front tyre on the outside of the arc. Maybe it is the slat, then Permises staff use the old fashioned grit and apply it liberally. I thought it was the car needed something replacing...maybe it does anyway?
car parks and grumbling tyres - Altea Ego
"I thought it was the car needed something replacing...maybe it does anyway?"

So did I, specially as its car parks I have used b4, the first time I pumped up the front tyres of the car I was using, then it happened on mine, and then Mrs RF reported it on hers, so I assume there is no car problem but a weather/salt/surface combo
car parks and grumbling tyres - blue_haddock
The M6 near Preston (and one on the M6 in the
Midlands) used to have sections where the concrete surfaces created a
very noisy vibration that was quite unnerving - almost as if
the engine was about to pack up.
- - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by

The whole of the M54 is made of noisy concrete
car parks and grumbling tyres - mare
The Ham Garden multistorey in the centre of Bath is noisy all year round and in all weathers. It's the non slip paint applied to the ramps.
car parks and grumbling tyres - hillman
"My favourite multi-storeys are the ones where even at low speed your tyres squeal noisily.
Just like being in a movie."
I used to enjoy batting down from the sixth floor of the multistory next the office in Manchester. Must have sounded like that Los Angeles movie. Company car, of course!

My Legacy groans loudly when I turn into the parking bay at my local CO-OP store. I don't know if it doesn't like the shop or there is a steering problem. When I had a back tyre replaced last week the fitter told me that the front tyres have 2mm more wear on the inside of the tread than the outside. Any ideas, anyone? It's due for it's 12000 mile service next week.
car parks and grumbling tyres - mjm
It sounds like the front wheels are toeing out too much. The problem is, if it is corrected the rest of the tyre still wears at the same rate, the deep bit of tread doesn't catch up the shallow. It is something that needs checking. It,s a simple job to check/adjust. Sometimes power steering is harder on the inside edge of tyres as well.
car parks and grumbling tyres - Civic8
Glades car park in bromley is the same.Summer or winter.Surface paint makes it sound like skidding wheels.Being its helter skelter like ramp..Is a good way of saying keep your speed down.
--
Steve
car parks and grumbling tyres - dilbert
The 'shudder' thing develeoped on my car recently also. It would occur on full-lock on most surfaces. That was when the tyres were worn (close to 2mm). Since then, I've had new tyres all round and immediately this problem went away. I have no idea if the two events are related, however.

car parks and grumbling tyres - Cliff Pope
My local tyre place has red non-slip (or something)paint.It makes a loud squeal at any speed if the wheels are not straight ahead.
car parks and grumbling tyres - David Horn
This was a multistory in Newton Abbot, Devon. Has a strange rubbery surface which is peeling off.