Vehicle involved in accident and SORN - cheddar
Hello,

The small company I run has two small vans on the road, mid December a car driver reversed into one of them, not our driver's fault, the van was undrivable due to bent front suspension.

Van goes to accident repair centre (ACR), a week later the MOT expires, can't MOT due to accident damage, 31st Dec tax expires, we chase the ACR and the insurance company, initially we expect the van back mid Jan, end up getting it back this week, 11 weeks after the accident!

We now find that we are liable for arrears under SORN plus potentially a fine, how can this be right, the van was not off the road or untaxed out of choice, also we expected to get the van back anytime from mid Jan so would have need to MOT it and tax it immediatley at that point, Sorn would have delayed matters.

Any thoughts?

Regards.
Vehicle involved in accident and SORN - Dwight Van Driver
Its now the system Cheddar.

Think of it like a continous thread. Either the vehicle is taxed or it is on SORN. If there is any gap of more than 1 month bdtween tht two then an 80 note fine.

SORN costs nothing so sorry but its down to you.

DVD
I have been advised that we are liable for £27.50 arrears and that a fine is unlikely however I am disgruntled because there is no advice from the DVLA that refers to a vehicle awaiting repair with specific regard to the fact that it's availability for use and therefore for MOT and tax is out of the hands of the owner/registered keeper.

The only comparison I have is that of waiting for a vehicle that one is purchasing to be ready at the dealership, in that instance it is not eligible for tax until it is handed over to the the owner.

Regards.
Vehicle involved in accident and SORN - martint123
AFAIK it's there in black and white (or maybe green) on the VED renewal form you got. Tax it or SORN it - no other options.
Vehicle involved in accident and SORN - GrahamF1
What you have to do in such unusual situations isn't exactly thrust in your face, I agree.

But as someone mentioned on another thread, it's all there in the information which piles up on your doormat that you MUST remember or else you'll be fined. I think they said something about it all being on your all-in-one identity card in the future - "teeth brushed, bottom wiped and voted for the right party".
Vehicle involved in accident and SORN - GrahamF1
And how does SORN delay it?

All you need to do is complete the form and send it off. When you re-apply for tax (use the tear-off if the main part is in Swansea) the SORN is automatically cancelled.
Vehicle involved in accident and SORN - ihpj
It's about time the DVLA got tough with untaxed motorists - it's long overdue IMHO, however there will be times when the Honest Motorist will fall foul of the regulations - and this might have happened in your case. However, seeing as though the accident wasn't your fault, why don't you look to pursue the recovery of these costs from the Third Party Insurers plus 'administration costs'? might be worth a shot - though they might argue that you should have SORN'd it? Either way, try your luck, if you don't ask, you don't get!
Vehicle involved in accident and SORN - henry k
Phone the DVLA and talk it over??
Spoken to the DVLA, no problem paying the arrears on the tax, my issue is the principal of it when the availability of the vehicle for use, MOT and tax is out of the owners hands. And no, the circumstance around a vehicle being unavailable to be MOT'd due to an RTA is not there in black and white (or green) on the V11 renewal form.

Regards.