Vectra Alarm Reset - Deryck Tintagel
Does anyone know if it is possible to reset the standard fit alarm on a 2001 Vectra without a diagnostics tool? I have removed the main car battery to recharge it after another problem but now the dash LED is indicating a fault after replacing the battery

Any help appreciated
Vectra Alarm Reset - teabelly
You could try holding in the trip button when turning on the ignition and as it goes through the flash sequence. If that doesn't sort it then hold the trip button while the ignition is on and read the code to make sure it is the alarm that is the problem and not something else deciding to break instead!
teabelly
Vectra Alarm Reset - Dynamic Dave
Holding in the trip while turning on ignition only resets the service interval "INSP" message.

Derek, the alarm has a battery back up. I'm wondering if while the main battery was off, the back up battery drained itself. No idea where it's located, but it might just be a case of waiting for it to recharge itself from the main battery.

I take it you've tried disconnecting and reconnecting the main car battery again to see if it'll reset itself?
I have the Vectra B so I do not have the INSP message on mine.

The back-up battery could be drained slightly but I disabled the sounder as per the handbook. I think the power sounder is in the wheel-arch behind a panel. I haven't tried the battery again - it could be that the reconnection wasn't "clean" and that caused the fault.

I'll have a word with a Vauxhall technician I have now found and report back.

I have the Vectra B so I do not have the INSP message on mine.

My old Vectra B did, well according to the manual it did, but I never saw it come on in the 3+ years of ownership.
I think the power sounder is in the wheel-arch behind a panel.

Yep, front nearside wheel-arch, but is the battery incorperated in the sounder, or is it in a separate location?
I haven't tried the battery again - it could be that the reconnection wasn't "clean" and that caused the fault.

It would be the easiest thing to try, as the fault only occured when the battery was re-connected.
Bit confused now ...

Ex-Vauxhall technician reckons on a TECH 2 reset if there is no problem with any sensor, but he did tell me to check the bonnet switch.

Local Vauxhall dealer reckons that there is no need to reset the alarm after a battery removal.

Will try the battery re-connect this weekend. I would expect that there would be no need to reset but ....
Derek,

I know this is a daft question, but I take it the bonnet, all doors, & boot were closed, and interior light was off when setting the alarm? Any one of them left open, or if the interior light is left switched on will show up as a fault on the alarm LED.

Does the alarm still work when it's been set?

Yes, I double-checked that the doors, bonnet, boot were shut and interior light was off.

I had a quick check of the bonnet switch whilst I armed the alarm - closing any open door should cause the LED to go constant whilst arming - but no luck. I even unplugged the bonnet switch just in case but that didn't help either!

Answer to the second question. Yes it seems to work - I unlocked the driver's door with the key and opened the door causing the main sounder to go off. I haven't checked the other doors / ultrasonics yet.

I need the light to be able to check the car over so a job for Saturday after its wash.
I tried disconnecting and reconnecting the battery but this hasn't helped. I tried a few times with various attempts at locking and unlocking to see if that helped.

All switches are OK - so back to main dealer I reckon!