Ford or Seat? - johnny
For £6000, what's the soundest buy between a Seat Leon SE and a similar spec Focus - and what else might be worth considering of that ilk?
Ford or Seat? - MichaelR
I would prefer the Focus - becuase of the way it drives and becuase I dislike the ackward rear of the Leon.

But, if I had the choice, I would buy a Seat Toledo. Like a Leon, only it's a saloon, costs less, and usually has more kit. If you like the Leon and dont need a hatchback it's a sensible choice. The SE spec examples have cruise control etc.
Ford or Seat? - andymc {P}
I tested a Focus and a Leon back to back a few years ago and ended up choosing the Leon. The driver's seat was far more comfortable and there was enough elbow and shoulder room, something I was amazed to find lacking in the Focus (even in comparison to the Punto I was driving at the time). I didn't think I was that big! Also, there was more kit as standard in the Leon, including ABS with traction control (an option on the Focus) and climate control (ditto) - you need to make sure that these are included on any Focus you look at to make sure you're comparing like with like. Diesel engines were superior in the Leon at the time (2001) as well IMHO.

But I agree that the Toledo is a great bargain if you don't mind a saloon, they really seem to lose a lot of value from new in comparison to the Leon and you can probably get at least a PD 130. I've heard however the handling setup on the Leon is superior to the Tolly, don't know if this is true or not - you need to test drive to make sure. I prefer the looks of both Seat variants to the Ford equivalents, but that's just personal taste!
--
andymc
Vroom, vroom - mmm, doughnuts ...
Ford or Seat? - steveb
Leon all the way for me also. Much better looking (including the rear!) with lots of kit as standard and performance and handling not far from the Focus.

Is also much rarer on the roads than the Ford - the only downside is a well distributed dealer network of variable quality.

I have a 110TDi which I am very pleased with.

Steve
Ford or Seat? - Dynamic Dave
Having recently driven a Leon (1.6 SXi) for the day, I found it quite a harsh ride, but still more comfortable than the Focus (1.6 Zetec) I drove last year. The Leon was quite well loaded with climate control, elec windows all round, elec mirrors, etc. The only thing that was missing was steering wheel controls for the radio - other than that I was quite impressed....

Not enough to get me out of a Vauxhall though ;o)
Ford or Seat? - runboy
As an early adopter of the Leon (first public Leon on the road from my Norwich dealer back in 2000)I always rave about the car.

Would still love one today, but time marches on and there are newer cars out there. But for the price, the Leon can't be beat.