Mazda RX-8 - PaulT
I have just checked the oil on my 190bhp model and found it to be a bit "foamy" and caramel coloured. What could the problem be please?
Mazda RX-8 - Aprilia
This doesn't sound good - sounds like water in the oil. I take it the car is still under warranty so get it back to the dealer.

On the Mazda rotary engines the 'water seals' have been known to fail on the combustion side of the engine (the spark plug side). The 'water seals' do the same job as a head gasket, but they are long thin rectangular-section neoprene seals that fit into a channel in the rotor housing and are compressed against the end and centre housings. There is a thin steel stip which fits alongside the neoprene to protect it.
They often fail if the engine has overheated (the aluminium rotor housings over-expand and 'crush' themselves against the steel end and centre housings). When the engine cools down they are now undersized and coolant starts to leak.
Mazda RX-8 - PaulT
Thanks for your reply. Car is still under warranty and is only 8 months old with 6k miles on the clock. Will contact my dealer tomorrow.
Mazda RX-8 - blue_haddock
possibly something to do with the oil consumption 'problem' on the RX8?

Either way it's under warranty so get it booked in pronto!
Mazda RX-8 - oilman
I have one myself.

It's due to condensation when it's cold. It's more prevalent in a car that's doing short trips when the weather's cold.

Do a search here and you'll find the answers:

www.rx8ownersclub.co.uk/forum

Cheers
Simon
Mazda RX-8 - Aprilia
If he's talking about the oil foaming in the sump (i.e on the dipstick) rather than round the filler cap, then I would be worried. There must be a lot of water in it. Even if it is just condensation I would be inclined to get the oil changed.
Mazda RX-8 - storme
defo get the oil changed as aprilia says...
and even if it is short trips only,,,,the car is a new one,,so it shouldnt have caramel..........
my bmw does 4 mile trip in the mornings then back in the evenings,,not a lot of miles...and i dont have caramel..

get it checked at the dealers,,then let us know what they said :)

Mazda RX-8 - PaulT
Both my dealer and Mazda cars say that the problem is condensation in the dip stick holder which adds a little water to the oil but that there is nothing to worry about. Mazda do have an upgrade for this so I shall push my dealer to have it installed.Thanks for all the posts.
Mazda RX-8 - oilman
That's what I said and I have an RX8.

The RX8 Owners Club UK has many threads on this topic as many of us have had our cars for 16 months now and are well aware of the problem.

Cheers
Simon
RX8 Owners Club UK
Committee Member