What to buy for Christmas - Ian Cook
Every year it's the same - my wife and two sons ask me "what do you want for Christmas?"

To set the scene: I'm nearer 60 than 50 and have most of what I want, except for outrageous requests (e.g. Porsche Boxster, or a full size aeroplane). So I'm down to the list of little things that the family can pass the list round.

On the list at the moment are things like: An extra memory chip for the computer; a mileometer for the bicyle. The reason I haven't bought them already is because I can't be bothered to go to a shop.

I can't be the only one in this state every Christmas. Does any one else suffer this - and what do they do about it?

Father Christmas' Worst Customer!
Re: What to buy for Christmas - Jonathan
Christmas presents do not have to be objects. How about treats? Day passes to a raceday, track day training course, luxury spa treatment? Loads of choices.

If its more junk you've after take a look at this site:

www.iwantoneofthose.com

Jonathan
Re: What to buy for Christmas - markymarkn
I bought the Trazer keyrings from www.iwantoneofthose.com - they are pretty good.

As far as the website goes, delivery was quick and efficient. They are based in London.

I too have no idea what I want for christmas.

In true hard-core driver fashion, the only thing on the list at the moment is two car tyres.
Re: What to buy for Christmas - Dan J
> In true hard-core driver fashion, the only thing on the list
> at the moment is two car tyres.

You should worry Mark, a new engine is on mine

Can't see that one turning up wrapped in Frosty the Snowman paper in my stocking, can you? :~)
- I wonder if my parents will wrap them up for me?
Re: What to buy for Christmas - Dan J
I think these days is everyone has so much more disposable income as a general rule. Anything other than major acquisitions [Dad, if you're reading this, can I have a new car please?!] for example a music CD/game for the computer/tool/new slippers/clothes or whatever, chances are you'll buy one yourself when you get the opportunity.

Makes it very hard for buying presents for anyone over the age of about 16 ish who probably already has everything they could possibly want.

As you can tell, I've been having a few present idea issues...
Re: What to buy for Christmas - ian (cape town)
I have had a beard for over 10 years.
Every year I get at least one bottle of aftershave.
Either people don't actually see me, or they are dropping hints.
Re: What to buy for Christmas - Piers
I look forward to getting socks. I can then wear a matched pair on a couple of occasions before resorting to the 'close enough' method of sock selection.

The best Xmas pressies are those wear you would buy something of a certain quality for £X but then someone nice buys you the really posh version.

Piers
Re: What to buy for Christmas - Sue
Piers wrote:

> The best Xmas pressies are those wear you would buy something
> of a certain quality for £X but then someone nice buys you
> the really posh version.

Definitely! My uncle was always good for this, my mother is unfortunately the exact opposite!!! Some things you dare not ask her for as you know it will be the cheapest, tackiest version she can find.
Re: What to buy for Christmas - Sue
Dan J wrote:

> As you can tell, I've been having a few present idea issues...

I've been trying to convince three boys that if they don't put some sensible suggestions on their lists they won't be getting anything from the relatives who won't give them money and either can't afford or choose not to spend more than £10! I'm not sure they believe me.

The stock answer from their father is either 'books' or 'book tokens'. But then he doesn't mind browsing in bookshops!
Re: What to buy for Christmas - Darcy Kitchin
Leads one to think, "what is the purpose of shops?" They seem to be full of folk getting your way, surly shop assistants who wish they were somewhere else, they never have what you want and they're often miles away from where you park the car.

Now the Internet is here, all shops should be bulldozed to make way for more pubs, car parks open spaces. Then we can all shop in comfort and have stuff delivered to us by smiling chaps who block the street while they deliver our groceries. Look out for the proliferation of delivery vans and the skill & commonsense they bring to our roads.

Oh,dear what am I saying? Perhaps we really need those shops ...
Darcy,

But if we got rid of all the shops what would we do with all the minions that work in them? Just think if they were all DELIVERY DRIVERS!!

Noooooooooooooo nightmares...
doh you already said that. ignore me. lol
Re: What to buy for Christmas - BrianT
Oh Ian, how I sympathise!
I am completely stumped as to what to ask my (grown up ) kids for. In years gone by I got torque wrenches, add on bits for the car, Car care kits etc. Now I've got a car with all the bits on, It goes into the garage for servcice (to keep up the warranty) and I get it washed at the local hand wash service.
Whats left for all us fifty somethings!
Re: What to buy for Christmas - Simon Saxton

Brian T,
I am decades ahead of you & I am hoping for a torque wrench! I still defray costs on the car & keep FSH by renewing consumables myself. Like to keep the grease traces under the fingernails.

regards
Simon
Re: What to buy for Christmas - Simon Saxton

Brian T,
I am decades ahead of you & I am hoping for a torque wrench! I still defray costs on the car & keep FSH by renewing consumables myself. Like to keep the grease traces under the fingernails.

regards
Simon
Re: What to buy for Christmas - Tomo
Christmas is in general a vast nuisance by my age, but Toad should be happy: he is getting a set of discounted P-zeros. I will not be getting anything for some time!
Re: What to buy for Christmas - El Dingo (Martin)
I sympathise, but don't have any answers. I get cartoon character socks. And sweaters.

(What I really want is unprintable).

El Dingo
Re: What to buy for Christmas - Bob H
A really good Chamois leather.
Re: What to buy for Christmas - roland
Ian,

Is there any magazine you buy more than 3 times a year? If so ask your family to get you a subscription. That way, you'll read more about a subject you're interested in, and whoever is buying the present will feel that they're getting you just what you always wanted. Don't take it too far though, I currently have subscriptions to 3 computer magazines

Roland
Re: What to buy for Christmas - THe Growler
Thank you Darcy. Xmas shopping is on my purgatory list too. 'Fraid I cop out and just give money.....
Re: What to buy for Christmas - Brill
> "Toad should be happy: he is getting..."

"he"? I thought all transport was feminine. You can really wind up the ship's captain refering to his ship as 'he'.

Is this true with cars too?

Stu.
I could never work out whether to call the astra a he or she.

settled for 'it' in the end.
Gender issues for cars - ian (cape town)
When it accelerates beuatifully, allowing you to zip past somebody in an overtaking manouevre: "Go on, lad! Well done there!"

But refusing to start when you have an urgent meeting and are running late: "You ****ing treacherous bitch!"

Need I say more?
Re: Gender issues for cars - Colin M
Roland

What a great idea. I was stuck for an idea for my 17 year old nephew who has just passed his test. Max Power is just the ticket (plus I can get to look at the ahem technical features since W H Smiths now wrap the thing in a placcy bag).

Colin