Golf VR6 - bils ahead???? - warrenbwalker
Hi all,

Ok, i have a 1997 Golf 2.8 VR6 with 68,000k and im the 4th owner. The tappets seem to be quite noisy so i have decided to get these replaced however i wanted to make sure that theres not something else that might be an issue- when hitting full throttle in 2nd gear for example (it is most prominant in second) i get a loud metallic sound which is louder that the tappets- it makes about 3 taps and disappears over 4000RPM. It sounds like its coming from the drivers side.

I also occasionally get a little blue smoke- im sure this is valve stem seals as when i let it sit at 2000rpm in top for say 15 minutes or so and suddenly drop it i get a little blue smoke.
I am going to get these done at the same time as the tappets, as its pointless paying twice for labour.

My major concern is this tapping sound- could it be a piston ring sticking? It doesnt sound right unless it is just a seriously knackered tappet... Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. :-)
Golf VR6 - bils ahead???? - Aprilia
Main thing to worry about on these is the timing chain breaking (there's two, actually). Its at the "back" of the engine and the rear sprocket is integral with the crank - so it could mean a new crank as well! Ouch! No change out of £3k if that happens!
Not an engine that I'd be happy to own, quite frankly, but maybe I worry too much....
Golf VR6 - bils ahead???? - warrenbwalker
The timing chain on the VR6 is on the gearbox (passenger) side of the car so it wont be the chains- these dont usually need touching until at least 100k, although i have known 1 to go at around 90k but this was an early OBD1 car with the early tensioner setup.
Golf VR6 - bils ahead???? - Aprilia
The timing chain on the VR6 is on the gearbox (passenger)
side of the car so it wont be the chains- these
dont usually need touching until at least 100k, although i have
known 1 to go at around 90k but this was an
early OBD1 car with the early tensioner setup.

Yes, by 'back' of engine I meant the flywheel end. I was just thinking that when he puts in under load ('floors the throttle') the load side of the timing chain will go tighter and if the tensioner is a bit weak or the chain a bit stretched then it may thrash about and rattle for a moment.