Beware When Having A HPI Check! - elizabeth
Having had a HPI check on a car and it coming up stolen recoved, I did another one with the AA who use Experian, this one came back clear. On phoning Carwatch (the fisrt ones) and asked why it showed, they phoned the insurance company and said it was correct. On phoning the AA (experian) and asking them why theirs were different I was told, the car had been stolen recovered, and because it was returned to the owner and no claim was made they do not disclose the information. UNLESS YOU ASK.

My advice is, do not do it online, phone, and ask if the car was ever stolen recovered, otherwise you could be left with a car that is not worth the amount you paid.
Beware When Having A HPI Check! - martint123
I thought that if the vehicle wasn't written off, uneconomical to repair, total loss etc then it did not appear on the register.
Beware When Having A HPI Check! - blue_haddock
Yep as the car has never been subject to an actual insurance payout it will not be recorded. Similar to telling the insurance company you've had an accident but are paying for the repairs yourself.
Beware When Having A HPI Check! - L'escargot
Only two things are certain in this life, and they are death and taxes!
--
L\'escargot by name, but not by nature.
Beware When Having A HPI Check! - mountainkat
I think that if a car is stolen & recovered intact/with no damage the insurance company is still likely to incurr costs (recovery of vehicle/storage & also checking of the vehicle by an approved repairer) & therefore it's likely to be flagged by an HPI as stolen/recovered.

This just happened to a guy I know & even though the car was not damaged it's now CAT rated on the register
In this situation i would of thought it would be like you just had a normal accident - insurer pays for repairs but because it hasn't been written off they don't place it on the HPI register.
This is OK if all the HPI companies use the same information, it is wrong for it to show up on one and not another, in fact it is there they just do not disclose it to you. If I am purchasing a HPI I am paying for the history of that car it should be up to me whether I purchase it or not. A vehicle showing stolen recovered is not as valuable as one without it. When paying £19000 for a car I do not expect to have two different HPI,s but this is all down to the Isurance Compay's of course. I have read however that the EU are bringing in legislation that you have to be told the history and not only if you ask. Roll on I say.
Beware When Having A HPI Check! - Ex-Moderator
So, if your car was stolen but no damage was done, nothing, not a sausage, and the car was parked a mile down the road, and you got it back, and there was no claim at all;

then you would be happy that -

1) Your insurance company put it on a register, even though you didn't claim and so actually it was nothing to do with them at all.

2) The value of your car dropped dramatically because it showed up as stolen and recovered, even though nothing had happened to it ?

Or might you wonder what all the fuss was about if nothing happened to the car ?

By what logic or right would an insurance company mark the history of a vehicle when that incident never involved them ?
Thats my feelings exactly Mark
The problem is something did happen to the car. It was stolen recovered with slight damage. No insurance claim so you are not told. Sorry but you should be. After spending £19000 on a car that Merc will not buy or part exchange because of this then the car was not worth £19000. But then again its ok so long as the insurance companied do not lose out.
Also as a matter of interest this year there is going to be EU legislation that say data check compainies have to tell you everything they now, it should not be up to the individual to have to ask. About time too I say.
>About time too I say.

Lets hope you feel the same if you're ever on the other side of the equation.

By the way and only out of interest, you say it was recovered with minor damage; If there was no claim, how do you know that ?

And if the issue is minor damage affecting its value, then I think we should have a register for the level of damage kids do to a car. I took the rear seats out of the Landcruiser the other day and there are whole communities living in the carpet.
But then again its ok so long as the insurance
companied do not lose out.

Its nothing to do with the insurance company. There was no claim.
The problem is something did happen to the car. It
was stolen recovered with slight damage. No insurance claim so you
are not told. Sorry but you should be. After spending
£19000 on a car that Merc will not buy or part
exchange because of this then the car was not worth £19000.
But then again its ok so long as the insurance
companied do not lose out.

I think you may be getting a little confused with the term Stolen Recovered - it refers to when a car is stolen and either A) it is recovered with sufficient damage to write the vehicle off or B) It is found after the insurance company has made payment to the customer and so the customer does not need the car back.

In your situation i presume the car was stolen, had minor damage (eg smashed window, brocken steering lock and maybe some minor panel damage) and the insurer repaired the vehicle and it was returned to the customer. This would not show on the register as the car has been recovered and returned to the customer.
Mark

in that circumstance your right & also very very lucky - if you manage to recover your stolen vehicle yourself then obviously the insurance company don't need to be involved.

I think that situation is very rare though. It's much more likely that the police would recover your vehicle at which point its normal for the insurance company to become involved as costs will be incurred.
>>at which point its normal for the insurance company to become involved as costs will be incurred.

at which point they would register it on HPI.
Beware When Having A HPI Check! - IanJohnson
So, if your car was stolen but no damage was done,
nothing, not a sausage, and the car was parked a mile
down the road, and you got it back, and there was
no claim at all;
then you would be happy that -
1) Your insurance company put it on a register, even though
you didn't claim and so actually it was nothing to do
with them at all.
2) The value of your car dropped dramatically because it showed
up as stolen and recovered, even though nothing had happened to it ?

I presume that if you were to claim the loss in value of the car from the insurance company they would stop registering these as lost-recovered. After all it is an insured loss arising from the theft isn't it?
Mark,

exactly

only time the car isn't going to be registered on HPI is if either you found it yourself & drove it home without involving anyone else or the police find it & you pay them directly the recovery costs (usually around £350/400) & inform the insurance company you don't wish to claim.
Beware When Having A HPI Check! - Dalglish
Having had a HPI check on a car and it coming
up stolen recoved, I did another one with the AA who
use Experian, this one came back clear.

hang on there, i am not sure what you are saying her.

are you saying that carwatch who use hpi actually gave you the full facts.

whereas the-aa who use experian failed to come up with the full facts.

so hpi are ok.

but experian are not.

so why is the title of this thread allegedly blaming hpi ????

please explain.

What I am saying is beware. Ask if the vehicle has been stolen recovered because if you do not ask they do not have to tell you. I think this is wrong. I know it had minor damage because was told when I phoned Experian regarding the previous HPI. However, they could not tell me how minor. I have writtent to the owner at the time and am waiting for a reply to find out.

If a car is missing less than 14 days and returned by whoever to the original owner then you do not have to be told. HPI are ok so long as all the companies give the same information. It is obvious from my expreience that they do not. That is my point!