sulphurous smell? - BazzaBear {P}
This might not have even come from my car, but if I noticed a smell like sulphur (really did smell like match-heads) should I be worried? And if so, what about? *nervous look*
sulphurous smell? - keo-the-dog
was it in slow traffic , catalytic converters sometimes give off a pong like rotten eggs when in traffic ...cheers...keo
Yeah, that was my first thought, but definitely different to any Cat smell I've smelt before.
sulphurous smell? - Civic8
Overcharged battery would be my first thought??
--
Steve
sulphurous smell? - keo-the-dog
Overcharged battery would be my first thought??

could well be this as well, just reminded me i get a battery smell of mine on occassion....keo
sulphurous smell? - frazerjp
Some dust or grit might of got onto the cat & has started to burn as your car warms up. I know new cars do smell of rotten eggs at first because the cat converter is 'burning in'.
--
Its not what you drive, its how you drive it! :-)
sulphurous smell? - L'escargot
<< I
know new cars do smell of rotten eggs at first because
the cat converter is 'burning in'.

I can't remember what rotten eggs smell like, because the last time I came across one was in the egg rationing days during and just after WWII. In those far off days it was by no means unusual to find a rotten egg in the batch that you had just got from the grocer. Because they were rationed, my mother made me take (on Shanks's Pony, of course) any bad ones back to the shop to be changed!
--
L\'escargot by name, but not by nature.
sulphurous smell? - Imagos
Have you filled up with a different brand from your usual fuel? i.e. supermarket fuel.
sulphurous smell? - teabelly
If it smells like matches then thats phosphor you're smelling. Sulphur is more like rotten eggs. Battery overheating is more acid smelling like hot white vinegar. The funny exhaust smell is usually down to cheap fuel. Check the battery while the engine is running to make sure it isn't over charging just in case. I'd take the car somewhere and check the emissions too. Run the tank lowish and then bung in some shell optimax and see if the pong goes away.
teabelly
sulphurous smell? - henry k
Or was it the alternator cooking?
I've only had the car for 3 weeks, so not sure what it habitually gets filled up with.
Since I've had it, it's had three good meals of Optimax.
If I notice the smell again, I'll open up the bonnet and see if I can locate the source.
Cheers for the tips people.
sulphurous smell? - Chas{P}
If the car has a slight misfire it will generate a sulphurous smell from the unburnt fuel. Might be worth checking your plugs and leads.

HTH

Charles