Good Citizen: insurance query (theory) - smokie
I was just watching an old Car Wars. There was a pursuit where the scrote was driving on the wrong side of a dual carriageway. A motorist went to pull in front of him (to stop him) then thought better of it.

If you aided the apprehension of a criminal by blocking his car, and it resulted in damage to yours, who would pay for your damage? Presume someone would...but what if only 3rd party? Would you lose no claims etc?

Or should one sit back and not get involved?
Good Citizen: insurance query (theory) - Ex-Moderator
Never seen this one in real life. However, your insurance may not cover you since you had done it on purpose. If you were able to claim, you would lose your bonus.

Nobody else's insurance would cover you.

As to whether or not the police would help as a gesture, I couldn't say. I also couldn't comment on whether or not the police truly wish your [however well-meaning] interference.
Good Citizen: insurance query (theory) - runboy
100% your fault, your claim.

1. The police would always tell people to move to one side when in a pursuit-it can make matters worse to have to contend with a criminal with unknown intentions and a good citizens intentions.

2. You could get yourself killed by the criminal who rams you off the road.

3. You could be done for obstruction if you really got in the way.

I would say best to leave it to the experts, and stay around to provide a statement if need be-that is far more helpful.
Good Citizen: insurance query (theory) - VTiredeyes
or get your smith & western out and shoot out those tyres.
yeeeeeeeeeeeeee haaaaaaaaaaaa.

been watching too much reality tv on sky. sorry.
Good Citizen: insurance query (theory) - trancer
How about the flip side...another of those police chase type shows this time in the US. Open highway, car evading police who radio ahead to two HGVs and ask their assistance in blocking the road forming a sort of rolling roadblock. The truckers complied, but the car just overtook them on the shoulder.

Sounds like a Smokey and the Bandit script, but actually happened. I never thought of it until now, but whose insurance would pay for damage to the trucks?. If I had to guess I imagine the repairs would have to be paid for by the police dept.
Good Citizen: insurance query (theory) - Retro
That must be the programme with the guy with the whitest teeth in the world...Craziest Police Chases?

Typical line "The drug crazed felons, hit the freeway trying to outrun the long arm of the law, driving at speeds of almost 15mph they weave crazily from side to side"......On screen you see 2 helicopters and about 100 Police cars chasing after a very slow moving pick-up truck.
Good Citizen: insurance query (theory) - GrahamF1
Also known as "World's Cheapest Programming".

Their descriptions of the criminals do make me laugh sometimes. The way they describe them as reckless and unskilled chancers, when from watching it, it looks like they're pretty handy behind the wheel to pull off those manouvers. Note that the "highly skilled Police drivers" never seem to be able to stay with them in a straightforward chase - apprehension usually seems to involve helicopters, stingers, roadblocks, etc.

Doesn't put them in the right of course, but I think it's funny the way they demonise them and try to make the Police seem like superheroes.
Good Citizen: insurance query (theory) - Alan
Getting back to the original topic I imagine that your insurance would pay out. It is going to pay out in the recent case where a guy apparently commited suicide by deliberately parking in front of a train on a crossing.
Does this mean you can use your car as a weapon to cause criminal damage or even death and the insurance will still pay out for an (accident).
Good Citizen: insurance query (theory) - Ex-Moderator
>>It is going to pay out in the recent case where a guy apparently commited suicide by deliberately parking in front of a train on a crossing.

1) but not including the damage to his car
2) and he will* lose his bonus

Also, I suspect that they have right of recovery from him*.

*[I know, I know, but you know what I mean]
It is two separate issues:

1) The damage to your car. I agree with other posters that say it is unlikely there would be a payout to repair your car.

2) The damage to third parties and their property. It is a little known fact, although it is stated on every certificate that "Nothing in this certificate affects your right as a third party to make a claim"(probably got this slightly wrong). What this means is that even if you completely lie about your driving record, car mods or commit a deliberate act that causes damage to a third party etc, etc the insurer has to payout the third party. The insurer can try and get the money back off you though. I think, although I stand to be corrected that the MIB are paying out for the train crash suicide incident.
You put that better than me Mark!
MIB are paying. This link is quite interesting re what they have done.

www.leighday.co.uk/doc.asp?cat=845&doc=542

Good Citizen: insurance query (theory) - Pugugly {P}
MIB are paying
AKA you and me paying through increased premiums.
Good Citizen: insurance query (theory) - somebody
>>>The way they describe them as reckless and unskilled chancers, when from watching it, it looks like they're pretty handy behind the wheel to pull off those manouvers<<<

I've noticed that too. My all time favourite is a BMW M3 vs a State Police Camaro. The narrator tells us how it's a "Bavarian Hot Rod" but that the souped-up Camaro "matches it move for move" when you can see the M3 disappearing in the distance with your own eyes.

The trooper later gets alongside the scroat, but when said scroat makes a movement with his shoulders as though to ram the trooper, said trooper then swerves, loses his Camaro and ends up facing the wrong way, and nearly gets rammed by his own colleague in a Crown Vic. And the scroat was just 15.

Anyone else seen this one?
Good Citizen: insurance query (theory) - Adam {P}
YES! I know which one you mean. The one where he turns across the median and when the cop swerves, he very nearly hits the barrier facing the wrong way? Did the BM blow up or run out of petrol? I can't remember. Either way it stopped without crashing.
--
Adam
Good Citizen: insurance query (theory) - somebody
>>>Did the BM blow up or run out of petrol<<<

I think it blew up. All in all a superb chase and makes its own case for improved pursuit training over here.

My other all time favourite chase has to be the Swedish Police after a Lotus Carlton. They are following him with lights and sirens off, and he pulls out to overtake somebody, floors it, and you have never seen anything accelerate as fast. In a matter of seconds it has just disappeared.

Sheriff John Bunnell! (Ret.) What a guy!

"This guy was high on a cocktail of drugs and alchohol. But the only bar this guy will be seeing tonight.....is the bar of a cell.....a prison cell."

He cracks me up but where would my days off be with that program?
--
Adam
Well my last post looks pretty much out of place. I intended it as a reply to one of Retro's earlier posts.

I do apologise.
--
Adam
No problem!

I love the links between stories: i.e. When he walks past a Police helicopter talking, gets handed a light assault rifle and just carries on talking....why? We all know he is just going to hand it back to someone when he has finished what he is saying!
Hahah - That is so true!

"Dumpsville, Tennessee. Officer Cletus T. Dope is on patrol when he sees a car acting suspiciously. However, the clowns in the car have other ideas and gun the engine. It's no match for Dope's powerful Police cruiser which soon catches up. These miscreants won't be breaking any laws on this night!"

Quality! Pure genius.
--
Adam
Good Citizen: insurance query (theory) - AR-CoolC
kirkoid-music.crosswinds.net/sheriff/

Just for you Adam
AR -CoolC,

What a star! Thanks. I can't believe he has his own site. (Albeit unofficial)

Roll on the fun!
--
Adam
Superb.