Octavia VS C Max - Simon (Anne\'s Other Half)
We are thinking of swapping our Honda CRV petrol auto, for a Skoda Octavia Diesel auto or the C Max diesel auto. Has anyone got any opinions?
Must be automatic and preferbly a diesel due to annual mileage of 20K.
Also any feedback on which Octavia to look at? Old or New?
Thanks
Anne
Octavia VS C Max - daveyjp
I saw loads of the new Octavia whilst in Prague - no surprise there! They also had a couple in the airport and the hatch version looks an excellent car. The one in there was a fully specced 2.0 TDi in a gold colour with sand coloured leather interior, sat nav etc and it had the new DSG (auto) gearbox fitted. This spec was well over £20k, but a lower spec Ambiente 2.0 TDi with the DSG box (an excellent combination) is £16k, the higher spec elegance £17.5k. IMHO far better value than the C-Max.
Octavia VS C Max - NickCa
I agree that the Octavia would probably be a better bet. Prices also seem to be coming down. Skoda dealers I have spoken to say that is very little nearly new stock (of the new shape) available as it was only launched in July last year. In the diesel, there is the choice of a 1.9 105bhp and a 2.0 140bhp. I have found it very difficult, particularly on the Skoda website, to differentiate between the 1.9 new and old model. It is easier for the 2.0 diesel as there wasn't one in the old model range. The 1.9 is available in Classic, Ambiente and Elegance trims, the 2.0 only in the latter two. I believe the main visual difference between new and old models is that the headlights unit wraps around to the side of the car on the new model and not on the old.

Recently one of the big car supermarkets had 6 2.0 Ambiente's with delivery mileage on their website for £11,999. They disappeared after about 2 weeks and I haven't seen any listed since. Prices for nearly new 2.0 Ambientes seem to start at around £12,500 at dealerships, with Elegances usually about £1000-£1500 more (using Autotrader). I haven't been able to get any price comparisons on the 1.9 as I can never be sure if it is the new or old model.

I have driven both and whilst the 140bhp seemed to have power to spare and I found it excellent to drive, the 105bhp is going to work out cheaper in terms of fuel economy and insurance so may be the better bet.

Hope this is useful...have you tried the Avensis/Mondeo?
Octavia VS C Max - blue_haddock
Hope this is useful...have you tried the Avensis/Mondeo?

Avensis doesn't have a diesel auto option
Octavia VS C Max - cub leader
Have driven friends 1.9TDi Octavia is a nice drive. fairly quiet and smooth. I'd go with that, best bet would be to test drive one of each and see what you prefer.
--
Im a student ive got time!!!