Estate car with front and rear legroom - hjd
We currently have a Peugeot 406 estate. Since children are getting ever taller (daughter about 5'7" with long legs, son on course to be a six footer), we need a car with plenty of front and rear legroom. My husband is 6' tall with long body and shorter legs, whilst I am 5'8" with 34" inside leg measurement. We also sometimes carry my mother, who is 6' tall. To allow my daugher enough legroom we have had to move the front passenger seat forward and this is giving me problems with not enough leg room. Can anyone recommend an estate with plenty of space? The 407SW doesn't have as much room as the 406 and is not really a loadcarrying estate in the same way. All we seem to have found is the Mondeo, but have not yet all sat in it. Any other suggestions?
I have a Honda Civic which has far more room for all, but it doesn't have the boot/estate space. The Honda Accord tourer is much less roomy inside, as well as being ugly and dark inside!
Estate car with front and rear legroom - Altea Ego
Scenic or Grand Scenic
Estate car with front and rear legroom - Ben79
Try a C5 estate. Loads of room.

At 6'2 with long legs streched out, I can sit behind the drivers seat.
Estate car with front and rear legroom - Ben79
Another thought, try a Picasso. The more upright seating position gives more kneeroom as you aren't streched out.
He is not keen on a people carrier - not much use when trying to transport filing cabinets, etc apparently!
Estate car with front and rear legroom - Avant
The Citroen C5 is certainly worth trying for size - what about a Volvo V70 or VW Passat, or Audi A6? All 4 have been around for some time so if you don't want to buy new there should be plenty within whatever your budget is. Volvo or Citroen probably best for seating 3 in the back, for when mother comes too.

Or there's always some form of Mercedes estate: German taxis were designed to seat big Germans comfortably in the back.

I'm glad to find another fellow-traveller who thinks the Accord Tourer is ugly! It's this ridiculous fad for tapering off the rear end: visibility suffers, and the stupid stylist has forgotten what people buy estate cars for. The Civic is brilliant for rear legroom so why not the Accord?

Is there any Backroomer close to the minds of Honda - whose cars are mostly models of practicality - who knows why the Accord Tourer turned out like this?

Estate car with front and rear legroom - Robbie
Don't see what the problem is with the Accord Tourer. I have one and there is plenty of room in the rear - at least my passengers tell me. The black leather may be a tad dark but I don't find it darker than any other cars I've owned. If you want something light then go for white upholstery - ughhh, not very practical.

As for the looks - well each to his own. I think it is very attractive. Last year in France it drew lots of attention from French people who admired it and drooled. They thought it was superb and very sporty. I have never seen the new Accord in France so that may account for it.

We tried to sit in it but it was much too cramped. We'll have to disagree on the styling - the main reason it's so dark inside is the size of the windows. Compare that with the 407 - a vast difference! Honda have achieved loads of passenger space in the Civic and Jazz, so why can't they do this in a larger car?
Estate car with front and rear legroom - Chad.R
I (6'0)was recently a rear seat passenger in an Avensis estate and was very impressed with the amount of legroom even behind a 6'+ driver.
Estate car with front and rear legroom - IanJohnson
I'm with Robbie, no complaints from my children, daughter is over 6' and son around 5' 10". Load capacity is huge - took an old 3 seat sofa with the tailgate closed.

With the tan leather mine isn't dark inside at all!

I did see one in France last October - near Orleans - the driver looked very surprised to see another one. On the aires it did attract some attention - especially with the iCDTi badge.
Estate car with front and rear legroom - adverse camber
I went through the same process not long ago, looking for a big diesel estate. Have a look at the Passat, Audi A6 and Volvo V70. That was my short list.

I found the passat seats not very comfortable unless it had the sports seats. The Audi's were just a bit expensive for what I wanted to pay.

I bought a 'classic' (ie old shape) V70. OK they are not the most exciting thing on the road, but they handle better than their reputation and have lots of space. The spec is good (many have leather - easy wipe clean being a significant issue - and climate as standard), the prices are reasonable and they hold value well. The new shape ones have a terrible turning circle though.

I have the 7 seat conversion which I thought might come in handy when I start ferrying childrens friends about.

I am 6'4" and I can sit behind myself very easily, if you know what I mean. Various dealers gave me funny looks when I went in sat in the front, got comfy, sat in the back (or tried to) and left.

Mark
Estate car with front and rear legroom - machika
For price, spec, space and comfort, you will find it hard to match a C5 (HDI preferred in my case). As an alternative, why not take a look at the new Octavia Estate. I haven't seen one myself, but they have apparently improved the rear space somewhat. If it wasn't for the fact that you want an estate, I would say the Skoda Superb.
Estate car with front and rear legroom - Bill Payer
Tan leather in an Accord Tourer? They do Black & Ivory, and the Ivory is very light (but nowhere near white as described elsewhere).
I've got a 406 with quite light beige leather and that's worn well. The leather doesn't pick up the colour of your trousers, and it cleans well with Meguiars leather stuff.
Estate car with front and rear legroom - mike100
Considering the recent price drops/spec improvements, Rover 75 estate might be worth a look - can't speak from experience though!
Estate car with front and rear legroom - machika
Considering the recent price drops/spec improvements, Rover 75 estate might be
worth a look - can't speak from experience though!

>>

It doesn't fit the bill for space though.
Estate car with front and rear legroom - tack
If you try an MPV type vehicle, make sure significant other is with you (if you are the driver and she is the passenger) Wife and I tried a couple of MPV's. We found that the passenger seat had no height adjustment. My wife found that she couldn't get her legs comfy. If she stretched them out, (oy! steady!) the seat edge cut into the back of her legs. The alternative was to sit up and beg (oy! I said steady!) which, on a long journey isn't very relaxing.
sorry....should have read the original message a lot closer. Whoever the driver is, the one with the shortest legs should be aware of the lack of passenger seat height adjustment! :0)
Estate car with front and rear legroom - legacylad
Old model Legacy estate. Very similar in size to Mondeo, and slightly more internal volume than new Legacy.Second hand, at 3/4 years old, you can buy for buttons. Dare to be different!
Estate car with front and rear legroom - runboy
I'll second the Avensis-give it a look. I have a 5 door Avensis (new style) and it is roomy inside.
Estate car with front and rear legroom - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
I'd recommend a Passat for legroom. Playing with the seat height adjustment gives plenty of foot room for those in the back.
Parked my Passat estate next to an Accord estate last week. The tiny tapered widows in the Honda looked really weird.
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
My brother has just got a new Avensis T3. There are acres of space in the back and plenty of leg room for me at 6' 3" tall. The estate must be a good lugger for family with plenty of luggae and long legs.
Estate car with front and rear legroom - Stargazer {P}
Biggest estate for passenger space that I have ever driven was a VX Holden Commodore...three 6'6" passengers in the rear and baggage for 5 in the load space. You will only find one as an import though. The saloon was pretty spacious as well.

StarGazer
Estate car with front and rear legroom - SpamCan61 {P}
Speaking of GM how about the latest Vectra Estate - based on Signum floorplan IIRC, so even more legroom than latest saloon / hatch. For that matter I've had 4 six footers in my Omega without hassle.
Have been round some dealers at the weekend. Obviously didn't look like serious buyers as not one asked for our names or contact details!
Frontrunners seem to be the Mondeo or C5 estates. Avensis seemed rather cramped, especially front passenger legroom - tried both normal estate and Verso models.
The only manufacturer we would never consider is Vauxhall, due to the way we were treated by them and their dealer when we bought a Cavalier which was a lemon. Any other makes will be considered.
Have to start booking test drives soon!
Thanks for all suggestions so far.
Estate car with front and rear legroom - Big John
How about the new Golf Plus?