Hybrid cars - CM
with all these hybrid cars coming out, can someone explain why they are petrol/electric rather than diesel/electric? it seems that the petrol/electric doesn't give any better return in fuel economy than a diesel engine in the first place.
Hybrid cars - Happy Blue!
It's not about economy 'per se', its about emmissions. A hybrid car will produce less pollutants than an efficient diesel, even though a diesel is generally more economical.

However, on very congested roads (like in LA), hybrids are probably more economical as well as being cleaner.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Hybrid cars - CM
Is this still true with all these modern particulate traps? Diesel CO2 is less so I presume it is about the PM10s etc
Hybrid cars - ratty
yes, good question.... and would anyone know why they don't have electrical sockets so that those who wish to could top-up the batteries overnight. This would reduce the need for using fuel and engine wear for smaller journies, much cheaper for consumers too.
Hybrid cars - CM
think the socket one is because when you plug into the mains most electricity is made in a dirty way (coal/gas/nuclear) as opposed to the car charging the batteries under braking/acceleration etc which is a by-product of driving.
Hybrid cars - Truckosaurus
Is the main reason not that these vehicles are currently aimed at the Japanese and American markets, where diesel is not in common usage.
Hybrid cars - IanJohnson
These cars are trying to be green but in reality are far from it - no more efficient than a small diesel (e.g Audi A2) due to the additional weight of the battery.

Also just wait til someone trys to scrap one and the scrappy wants a couple of grand for taking it away - all those heavy metals in the battery sir, got to be disposed of as special waste ! ! ! !
Hybrid cars - GrahamF1
When will the eco-campaigners learn?

Electric cars, hydrogen cars, hmmmmmmm.

What do we depend on for most of our electricity? Fossil fuels.

How do you make pure hydrogen? You need lots of energy. Where do you get this? Fossil fuels.
Hybrid cars - hillman
Stick around, GrahamFI. Nuclear power is the only really clean power, no emmissions at all. It has to come.
Hybrid cars - Robin Reliant
Ask them about nuclear power in Chernoble...
Hybrid cars - henry k
Ask them about nuclear power in Chernoble...

or ask some of the sheep farmers in Wales.
Hybrid cars - L'escargot
>> Ask them about nuclear power in Chernoble...
>>
or ask some of the sheep farmers in Wales.

That's it ~ no more sheep's back legs down the wellies for me! I don't want irradiating. ;-)
--
L\'escargot by name, but not by nature.
Hybrid cars - Avant
I'm sure I read somewhere that researchers in (I think) New Zealand had discovered that a single cow can produce enough gas in a day to power a small truck for 25 miles.

If trye, this is either an exciting untapped resource or a major pollutant, depending on your view.

Agreed, why not the diesel / electric hybrid?
Hybrid cars - blue_haddock
I can't remember the exact details as it's saturday morning and i feel rougher than a grizzly bears behind but Toyota have looked at a diesel/electric prius but have decided against it.

Why not send an email to Toyota Customer Services and ask them why - should be able to give you a proper answer.

Hybrid cars - blue_haddock
Having driven both versions of the Prius i can say the currewnt prius takes a bit of getting used to but once you do it's a good car whereas Prius 1 was more of an experiment that was unleashed on the public to do long term user reports.