Are you going to put me off - midlifecrisis
I've seen a very nice 3 series tourer at a BMW dealer, for a very cheap price. It's got lots of options and looks a very attractive car. However, it's a 316se. Any comments on the engine size (1.9) and the 115bhp. Owners views would be appreciated.
Are you going to put me off - Altea Ego
Everyone will laugh at you. Non beemer and beemer drivers.

(except BMW compact drivers)
Are you going to put me off - Pugugly {P}
Simple equation of power to weight ratio and rear wheel drive drag. Get a 2 litre, less toys. I wouldn't laugh though.
Are you going to put me off - Vin {P}
"...rear wheel drive drag..."

Wossat, then?

V
Are you going to put me off - tobyn
no.

it may be slower than other bm's but realistically how often are you going to miss the extra oomph that a bigger engine will give you?

i had a 316i a few years ago and everyone said the same thing about it being slow. i had the most enjoyable 12 months of driving it - i found it quick enough to more than keep up with 80% of other cars (ie most people seem to have had frontal lobotomies when it comes to putting their foot down.)and as we all know the days of speed are numbered so engine size is becoming largely irrelevant, (apart from an ego boost of course.)

if you're worried that people 'may laugh at you' then take off the badge. i think you've got more reason to laugh at any ford vauxhall or rover than they have at you.

buy it, enjoy it and if you want something faster trade it in after a year
Are you going to put me off - Adam {P}
I'll be perfectly frank, I would rather have any Ford or Vauxhall* than a 316.

*Excluding the Agila, Corsa, Ka, Fiesta, new Focus

Damned if I can think of a Rover I'd rather have though.
--
Adam
.....however,

I'm not looking for a car and ultimately it is your decision. I really should stop sticking my oar in....especially with unhelpful comments.
--
Adam
Are you going to put me off - DavidHM
1.9 litres and 115 bhp in a small saloon isn't so different from your car, is it Adam?

Personally I'm not sure I could be bothered to drive around in a car that, while it isn't as slow as people make out, and could even feel reasonably quick if you thrash it, isn't the performance car that the BMW image suggests. Actually I'd very much like to do that, but would hate to pay the premium for doing so, even if the depreciation isn't bad.

It's a good car for someone like my dad, who enjoys driving but would never use that much performance, whatever car he had. It wouldn't suit me though.
The difference is, I'm 19 and it's the biggest car I've had available for long periods of time. MLC is however old and is used to driving 530s and 3.2 Vectras every day. I also never shelled out however much this BM is going to cost.

It is MLC's decision but I think he'll be a little disappointed given what he's used to.

--
Adam
Are you going to put me off - andymc {P}
MLC, I do hope you're not intending to downgrade from your ZT to a 316. That would be a real step in the wrong direction IMHO.
--
andymc
Vroom, vroom - mmm, doughnuts ...
Are you going to put me off - borasport20
MLC is however old

Adam - should you find yourself driving through his patch in the near future, wear camouflage and observe the law to the letter !

you, of all people, should know better !!!

Are you going to put me off - trancer
"but realistically how often are you going to miss the extra oomph that a bigger engine will give you?"

Everyday.
Are you going to put me off - Avant
I'd always go for the bigger engine option wherever possible. Otherwise every time you see a 320i (or 320d) you'll think "if only...."

You could try looking in Autotrader and you might find something with six cylinders at an independent dealer for the same price.

Or there's always an Audi or a German taxi - but I presume that like most who want a BMW, nothing else will do. I don't mean that in any way rudely - just that BMW drivers, like arsenal supporters, are wholly committed and single-minded in their choice.

So I don't want to be negative and put you off - but is there anything out there that you might enjoy more?
Oops - the swear check has intercepted a harmless reference to supporters of a football club which plays at Highbury. It now looks much worse, like something to do with rear drive (which brings us back to BMWs, come to think of it)
Are you going to put me off - keo-the-dog
in response to the title question absolutely not, if you like it then you buy it , but ask me if i would have one in prefference to a ford or even a vauxhall and sorry but the answer would be no thanks. but there again i dont like bmw's very much regardless of the model .. it's an anti-badge thing ...cheers...keo
Football clib restored, so forget the second post. A vote of thanks to our vigilant, perhaps undervalued, moderators.
Are you going to put me off - Ex-Moderator
>>Football clib restored,

Yup, you got to watch out for them clibs.
I'd like to say I coined a word, but you wouldn't believe me. Comes of relaxing with this forum just before going to bed!

Clib ought to mean something....an underpowered version of glib? - i.e. a salesman selling BMW 316s. So we're back to being motoring related.

I'll go to bed now before someone tells me to.
Are you going to put me off - MichaelR
You should purchase an older used 530d or 330d instead. Proper engine, and better fuel economy as well as considerably better performance than the 316.
"The difference is, I'm 19 and it's the biggest car I've had available for long periods of time. MLC is however old and is used to driving 530s and 3.2 Vectras every day. I also never shelled out however much this BM is going to cost."

I'm 36, but I suppose that's old to a 19 year old. I got into an over 28's club the other night without a second glance from the bouncer. How that depresses me.

The BMW looks great, is an 04 reg with lots of options. However stepping down from the 160bhp of my ZT is a real concern. I suppose I should just shut up and go and test drive the thing!
Are you going to put me off - Altea Ego
is an 04 reg with lots of options

Why is it cheap?
No. I wasn't trying to say you were old MLC....just older than me! 36 is no age at all.

I forgot about your ZT. Apart from the fact it's a BM, what makes it better than your car? As RF says, why is it so cheap?
--
Adam
Are you going to put me off - machika
Do you want it just because it is a BMW?
Are you going to put me off - ad
MLC,

I've got a 2003 316i SE Touring, bought as a sort-of-hatchback replacement for an Audi A4 saloon to accommodate a young family better.

It's well equipped and nice to drive - if ultimately slower than you are used to - and torquier than you might think. I've found the economy to be disappointing - barely 30mpg on a tank - but I've done very few long runs in it.

I've yet to establish how scary the servicing is - it's variable and apparently the computer calculates when it's due based on your economy.

If, like mine, it's an ex-BMW car then it'll almost certainly have the CD-changer, big wheels and, of course, the _essential_ colour-coded door handles.

Of course, the 2-litre (petrol or diesel) would be better, but unfortunately BMW has not swamped the dealer network with them at attractive prices.

Despite the invective, I would still consider it. If nothing else, it's the best looking small estate car on the road - except for the Alfa 156 Sportwagon possibly.

Andrew
I'm at bit disappointed at the mpg you're getting. Yes, it has got the big (and very nice) alloys, cd changer, colour coded door handles (wow) amongst other things. It's got 3700 miles and is for sale at £15500, so not 'cheap' but a lot cheaper than some I've seen.

With two growing boys, I'm begining to find a saloon restrictive, so a small estate would be ideal. This particular car just looks 'right'. I've considered a Legacy, but the 2.5se's are still expensive to buy (and to run apparently). I'm not in any rush to change, so if the deals not right I won't be buying. Ah well, that A3 Sportback that I can't afford is calling!!!!!!!!
Are you going to put me off - Pugugly {P}
MLC - buy it. It will have the balance of the BMW warranty on it, it will give you driving pleasure, loads of grip and excelelnt rwd handling. Is this the UK built engine ?
I know you're a BMW regular PU. Whilst all your cars have been bigger engined, could you give me some idea of servicing prices for the car.
Are you going to put me off - Wilco {P}
"I've considered a Legacy, but the 2.5se's are still expensive to buy (and to run apparently)"

Saw a dealer the other weekend knocking out pre-reg 54 plate Legacy Sport Tourers (2.0 - 135hp) for 15K - worth a look?
Are you going to put me off - ad
When I was looking to replace my car, there were quite a few pre-registered Legacy 2.0 Sport Tourers in the Subaru network at £13995 IIRC. I was quite taken with them - the interior is a vast improvement on the previous model, and apparently the economy is much better. The performance is slightly more slothful than the BMW, but it has the advantage of not encouraging heckling from, well, just about everybody;) I was only put off because the length of it meant it would hang out over the end of the drive, which appears to be an invitation to passers-by to tweak the rear wiper or help themselves to a badge.

The A3 Sportback looks smart, but for the money that's a low spec 1.6 (102PS) I'd imagine. The boot's on the small side too - like the Alfa - but if the the interior's anything like the A4, it will make even the BMW look like a 1970s Datsun inside:)

Enjoy looking!