00 TDi SLX - sudden fogging up on windows - mare
Help!

My W reg Octavia keeps fogging up whenever the outside temperature dips below 4oC i.e. when the climate control shuts off. It slightly mists up and then all of a sudden - poof! - we're completely whited out. Pull over, open windows and heater full blast for 3-4 minutes and we're away again.

The thing is, it definitely didn't do this last year or the year before. What would have changed to make it behave like this? Water leak or a blocked filter?

It's becoming a bit of a bore, and a little bit dangerous!

Thanks

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 10/11/2009 at 00:36

sudden fogging up - Octavia TDi SLX - Edward
Could be a damp or wet pollen filter.
sudden fogging up - Octavia TDi SLX - mare
Could be a damp or wet pollen filter.

Thanks, sounds as a good place as any to start. Now where would the pollen filter be - one black plastic bit looks just like another under the bonnet of this car. I'm guessing that it would be towards the rear of the engine bay on or next to the bulkhead.

sudden fogging up - Octavia TDi SLX - borasport20
I had semi-constant fogging problems when the air-con was off which seem to have gone away since the pollen filter was replaced at the last service.

It is under the plastic cover which is in front of the bulkhead on the passenger side

hth
Mike
sudden fogging up - Octavia TDi SLX - Pugugly {P}
Most recent BMs I've owned have done this from new.....mIsterious
sudden fogging up - Octavia TDi SLX - Dynamic Dave
Now where would the pollen filter be

www.puravent.co.uk/filters/dispmodel.pl?make=SKODA

sudden fogging up - Octavia TDi SLX - mare
>> Now where would the pollen filter be
www.puravent.co.uk/filters/dispmodel.pl?make=SKODA

Excellent Ta. i shall break out the emergency screwdrivers...
sudden fogging up - Octavia TDi SLX - L'escargot
I've had this with both of the last two cars that I have owned. The first one had basic aircon and the latest has climate control ~ admittedly both Foci. I put it down to the fact that after using the aircon there is some residual moisture in the heater/aircon outlet air ducting which then evaporates and comes into the car. I get the problem when the outside air is either cold, or cool but humid. If I only use the aircon in summer I don't get the problem. I don't subscribe to the view that you should use aircon all the year round, putting the heater on when you want warm air, because at some point the aircon will inevitably be off and you will then get the instant misting that you describe. My solution is to only use the aircon in summer, except for the occasional short burst in winter to keep the refrigerant pump seals lubricated. By doing this, residual moisture in the air ducting is kept to a minimum. During the periods that the aircon isn't being used, the residual moisture evaporates and the air ducting dries out. I find that using the heater in demist mode in conjunction with a high fan speed, or the electrically heated front screen (or both together when necessary) is quite adequate to get rid of (or prevent) misting.

--
L\'escargot by name, but not by nature.
sudden fogging up - Octavia TDi SLX - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
just a casual observation, have you got the air intake set to recirculating? This will cause fogging up if the climate is not on.
Andrew
--
Simplicate and add lightness!!
sudden fogging up - Octavia TDi SLX - Stuartli
As far as I can recall all the vehicles I've driven with a/c, including my own Bora, won't allow the demister control to be used passed a certain point with Recirculating mode engaged when the temperature is at or below 4 or 5 degrees C; the Recirculating mode is automatically disengaged once this point is passed.

Apparently the reason is to prevent rapid condensation on interior glass surfaces, which obviously poses a safety hazard vision wise.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
PS

There's some advice re air conditioning in this website's FAQs:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/faq.htm?id=14
..should read: ..."past a certain point"...

Not passed my spelling test..:-(
sudden fogging up - Octavia TDi SLX - bmj
Hey Mare, don't suppose you solved this problem did you, I have exactly the same issue.. car is totall clear and BAM! can't see out of windows... a little disturbing on the motorway! Pollen filter and carpets are dry... only going theory is the dropping less than 4deg and air con cutting out option... Oh mine is a TDi SLX too...
sudden fogging up - Octavia TDi SLX - dieselbob
You could check the drain hose for the aircon located on the rear engine bulk head nearside below all all the little vacuum pipes and valves. Its under a little flap in the sound proofing and will probable be weeping water already when the air con is running. Cabin filter could be another cheap fix. The air con shut down temperature point can be lowered using software appropriate to the vehicule. Not sure if early SLX models support this.