Rover 416 98 Electrics problem - Daz
Hi, changed the stereo in the rover recently to a sony one as the original was a tape player and the settings were lost each time on turning off the ignition.

This I thought was relatively easy to fix as the yellow and red wires just needed changing back, bizarrely they had to be swapped in last car for same problem.

All seemed well until i put stereo back in the slot when something made a cracking noise where a wire had presumably touched something.

Since this has happened the radio, electric windows, wiper function one, back wiper, radio display, heated window switch, fog light all now do not operate.

Simple I thought blown a fuse. Well I found a blown fuse swapped it and nothing works still. Checked all fuses had em out put em back in can't get a thing.

Only way radio will work is to connect both yellow and red to yellow in which case the radio stays permanently on after ignition which I don't want to do as it'll flat the battery.

ALso all above things still do not work.

HELP NEEDED PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rover 416 98 Electrics problem - Civic8
You should have taken fuses out first;).The permanent supply comes from engine fusebox.switched supply via interior fusebox.Also check you havent blown a main fuse on permanent side/80amp/50amp..If any has gone it will be the 80.If at all?

>>Only way radio will work is to connect both yellow and red to yellow in which case the radio stays permanently on after ignition which I don't want to do as it'll flat the battery.

Not if you turn radio off using the switch..
--
Steve
Hi Steve, thanks for your help as u probably gathered I'm still working my way round the new car.

I have checked the fusebox which is housed in a black plastic case near battery and also the bigger fuses nearby which all appear ok.

Daft question but where is the interior fusebox?

Also Radio does not switch off with off switch when yellow/red both connected to yellow!
Rover 416 98 Electrics problem - Dynamic Dave

Sounds like you've got a live wire (+ve) connected to the electric aerial feed by mistake if the radio doesn't switch off with the on/off knob.
May have blown the radio switch..Permanent supply is only there to keep memory. Switched power supply runs radio when ignition switched on.. Interior fuse box is underneath steering column to the right..Or it is on earlier models..As for connecting both colours. It wont matter.All this does is give permanent live to radio so it can be used while ignition off..using radio switch to shut off

--
Steve
Cheers mate, that's two problems sorted now, stereo fitted and headlight levellers disconnected to stop the annoying noise.

Next job is to try and clean up the clock display so it functions properly any guides anywhere?

Cheers

Fraid I cant answer that one..philips radio has dedicated socket for display..as other cars do..Sony do a seperate con/lead to display..Adapters I think are available but model no of radio is needed to get it..You could try Maplins
--
Steve
Cheers, when I said clean up the display I mean that half of the digits do not work correctly!

At least I'll have music on my hours journey tomorrow tho :-)
Rover 416 98 Electrics problem - mfarrow
Cheers, when I said clean up the display I mean that
half of the digits do not work correctly!

I can't imagine anything in an electronic box of tricks like this to horribly wrong without it being a contact problem. I used to get "funny" characters on my radio cassette until I cleaned the front panel contacts up. Is it a definite split, i.e. 4 digits working, 4 digits not? I run a 20 year old calculator that runs perfectly (if a little slowly)!