Damn Stupid Mini Ads - The Growlette
Anyone seen that infuriating Mini commercial about the Curse of the Mummy that makes your whole screen go black? Keeps getting me when I'm accessing the Telegraph. Now that really is a stupid piece of media tech-tripping. Nearly gives me a fit thinking something deadly has struck, nit to mention the lack of courtesy in interrupting me.

I remember a while back these pages got annoyed because some seat-warming Ministry wimp wanted to ban an MG ad. If he wants something useful to do he should write to the Telegraph about this one. I'm going to.
Re: Damn Stupid Mini Ads - Honest John
I think all the MINI Adventure ads are brilliant and 100% right for the brand.

HJ
Re: Damn Stupid Mini Ads - The Growlette
Sorry but not when they whizz across my screen and blank it out like that.
Sorry but not when they whizz across my screen and blank it out like that.
Re: Damn Stupid Mini Ads - ladas are slow
i think these adverts on the TV are junk, what on earth are they meant to be, if i was going to buy a new car, i would buy one if the advert was understandable.
Re: Damn Stupid Mini Ads - THe Growler
Yes I have some anti popup software but doesn;'t seem to stop this one. I think I didn't make my point very well. What I meant was that I reserve the right to choose whether and what commercials I want to watch, i.e. I skip the newspaper ads that don't interest me and mute the TV during the commercial breaks. The fact that an advertiser therefore intrudes on me whether I like it or not, without any warning or choice available, I find arrogant, inconsiderate (especially given the panicking feeling of seeing your screen vanish) and importunate. I would have expected better from the DT, I don't want a Mini, I could care less about the thing, it's too small to be any use anyway (The Growler won't loook at anything without a V-8 outside the house) and if I want to find out about one I'll do the finding out thank you, so meanwhile I do not want unsolicited ads in my face. They're not even very good. What on earth have mummies and spaceships got to do with cars. (Fumes, brushes flies away and yells at houseboy to fetch another gin... not so much ice in it this time idiot)
Thank you Randolph for your lucid comment. It was (a) the terror-struck feeling of there goes my hard drive, and (b) the irritation, and (c) presumption of some marketing nancy-boy that it's OK to shove his ad in my face without a by-you-leave. I would liken it to someone in a shopping mall coming up to me and sticking a poster in front of me while I was trying to examine the books on the rack. I don't think this is clever or intelligent. Put it on the red-top paper websites by all means, but please DT, you are about the last bastion of reasonably unpartisan news reporting in the Galaxy of Murdoch, for God's sake don't go down-market on me. Where I live I don't need that .

No more rants on this, promise.
Re: Damn Stupid Mini Ads - Dave
Honest John wrote:
>
> I think all the MINI Adventure ads are brilliant and 100%
> right for the brand.

I wasn't going to say this but...

I was reading an obituary the other day. Up pops a mummy/zombie figure walking across the screen.

Now I agree with you the walking dead may be 'right' for the Obituary section *but* I was mildly offended.

I'm not easy to offend so I suspect while I tutted and thought 'Oooo - bad taste' someone else might be deeply hurt.

And another thing. Ripley's comments on bikers are a disgrace.

And another thing. Hand brake ratchets. How much does it cost to replace one? S*d all. So his last bit of advice was utter garbage.

I buy the Times now. Clarkson may have accused bikers of being gay but I'd rather that than be told I deserve to die...

Nuff said.
Re: Damn Stupid Mini Ads - John S
Dave

Ah, but fixing the damage after the handbrake slips costs far more, and I agree with PR's comments about mechanical sympathy.

Slipping handbrakes do happen. We saw a Metro buried in a shop doorway in town the other week. It had slipped from its parking bay in the middle of the High Street. Ominous pool of coolant under the crumpled front. I bet that costs more than a handbrake ratchet to fix. Lucky it missed the passing cars and the pedestrians.

Regards

John
Re: Damn Stupid Mini Ads - Dan J
I think The Growlette was meaning the Mini adverts included on some internet sites. Genie have also used them and they take over your screen or black it out and are extremely annoying, particularly when they keep reappearing wherever you go on the site. Noticeable and maybe even good the first time but not on the thirtieth time you've gone to the website and lost control of your computer for 10 seconds!

Not doing themselves any PR favours with that one methinks
Re: Damn Stupid Mini Ads - Steve G
Not sure about the TV ads but the online ads are as you say -annoying (just like any kind of pop up window on the net)
My parents have ordered a new Mini Cooper. I managed to have a quick drive of the demonstrator. Its a very impressive car ,just needs a little more power maybe the Cooper S will tempt me.
Re: Damn Stupid Mini Ads - Rob
There are a few programs you can download that are supposed to prevent this - one is called 'pop-up stopper'. I couldn't get it to work, though. Does anyone know more?

Other that pop-ups, I agree that Mini ads are great though.

Rob
Re: Damn Stupid Mini Ads - ChrisR
Turn off Java (or set to high safety), don't allow activeX to do what it wants, set "launching programs and files in an IFRAME" to "prompt" (or disable altogether), and disable "install on demand" in your browser settings. That stops most of 'em. You should do that last one anyway, for security reasons. If a site doesn't load properly, switch the relevant one back on, but text-based ones like newspapers mostly do. Experiment to find out what's most convenient. You can always go back to the default settings if you mess the whole thing up. You don't actually have to let other people control your computer.

Chris
Re: Damn Stupid Mini Ads - Honest John
Sorry, Growlette, I hadn't realised you were referring to on-line MINI ads. I thought you must have paid a visit to the UK and seen the poster and tv campaign.

HJ
Re: Damn Stupid Mini Ads - Randolph Lee
I would not mind the on line adds so much if they used cookies to make sure you only see them once... as they were very clever and diferent... but I do not want to see them again and again...

this sort of on line popup add that "takes over the page" depends on supprise and novility and once over used it will cause a negitive reaction

~R
Re: Damn Stupid Mini Ads - Randolph Lee
You have a very good point... the ET was not the place for this sort of thing... but then the ET of today is nothing like as good as the ET of say 5 years ago... that ET was bar none the best newpaper website in the world... fast loading strong search engine etc etc.... it has been all downhill at ET for last 20 months or so...

these Mini adds would be fine on their own web site for example... or perhaps even on this web site in the car by car breakdown area if the user selects info on the Mini then one of these adds would launch... esp if on the first page of the Car by car breakdown area you had a selection to enable 'targeted adverts' as you looked up info on diferent cars

~R