Glue Removal - Mr Tickle
Can anyone suggest a method of removing glue from my car's dahboard? There are several large spots on the dashboard. I know there are many solvents, but I don't want to damage the plastic dashboard. Are there any effective potions for this, please?
Glue Removal - Aprilia
What sort of glue?
Glue Removal - Marc
WD40 dissolves most types of adhesive and *shouldn't* remove any gloss as such but its always best to try it on a hidden part first.

If it's a hardened adhesive such as Araldite can you not pick/chip it off? As previously asked, what kind of adhesive is it and where is it?
Glue Removal - Schnitzel
There are as many methods as types of glue.

Is the glue sticky gooey? If so, try a mild solvent such as alcohol, if it is hard frosy looking glue which isn't sticky to the touch, it may be superglue/cyanocrylate, so you would need special superglue remover, which may effect the finish of the plastic slighly.
Glue Removal - Mr Tickle
The glue is hard, not sticky, and dark brown in colour. Unfortunately, it was there when I bought the car so I don't know what it is. A colleage has suggested lighter fuel.
Glue Removal - Civic8
As you dont know what it is.Try using sharp knife edge just above dash point and lever..Not saying it will work. But better idea than lighter fuel.And less dangerous?
--
Steve
Glue Removal - keo-the-dog
Hi another question on the same line, anybody got any ideas on how to soften or dissolve araldite . i made a mistake with it and stuck something i dont want stuck, force can be used to some extent...cheers...keo
Glue Removal - Dynamic Dave
anybody got any ideas on how to soften or dissolve araldite

Acetone possibly, but be aware that it melts plastics.
cheers will give it a go and will let you know...keo
Glue Removal - madf
Before you start: a tip.
Cover all adjacent surfaces with masking tape to prevent scratches or accidents....

madf

Glue Removal - Halmer
The company that makes Araldite also markets a remover but I don't know if you have to use the product within a certain timescale (of mixing the resin/hardener).
Probably, have been told that some formaldehide stuff will do the job but it's supposedly dangerous stuff so i guess i cant get it from B&Q then will get round to trying the acetone, and report back...cheers...keo
Glue Removal - Mr Tickle
Well, I tried the lighter fuel today. No luck; this stuff really is obstinate. I may have to resort to acetone - trouble is, I don't recall ever seeing it in any shop. Where do you get it?
Glue Removal - mjm
You may find acetone quite close to home ---- Try nail varnish remover.
Glue Removal - Pugugly {P}
You'll have to go to a Chenist (with an old fashioned Pharmacist) and ask nicely....
Glue Removal - TS
The only agent that will soften Araldite is a product called Nitro-mors, that is used for the removal of paint and varnish, its brilliant, you may have to leave the item sunmerged in mixture overnight, but the following morning the Araldite has completely dessolved, I have just used it to seperate a metal collar from a glass tube that had been Araldited together, perfect, you should make sure the Nitro-mors will not effect the peices being unglued, glass/metal are OK sample check other materials, hope this is of interest to you and others.
TS
Glue Removal - davwood
I managed to get glue off my dash using a hair dryer and scraping with a plastic spatula. there was a slight stain left on the dash though
Glue Removal - pmh
Acetone

Go to France for the day and buy 1L bottles off the shelf in any DIY supermarket. (If you buy in the uk at a pharmacist you will get very expensive, medical grade product).

(You can buy a whole range of nasty useful solvents at about 2? a litre. I can only guess that they dont have a solvent abuse problem, probably because the alcohol is so cheap and easily available from the age of 3 up!)

--
pmh (was peter)

Glue Removal - Pete M
Just a thought, you haven't tried one of those sticky label remover products, have you? They're usually made from orange juice by the smell, but work without harming the plastic. I had to fit a stereo remote to my dashboard, which was slippery from the stuff that makes it shiny. Label remover took off all the coating and left a surface that the double sided tape adhered really well to. While this is the opposite of your problem, you never know, it might work. My bottle is called 'De-solve-it' but there are others around.