Dodgy AM radio reception in Volvo S80 - Boltar
Hi

I recently bought a 2nd hand volvo S80 which is fine apart from the radio which although produces great FM reception has very intermittent AM reception (which is annoying as I listen to Talksport). When the car hasn't been used for a while the output is fine but after having the engine running for a while the output degrades into a sea of static noises completely drowning out the station. Anyone got any ideas what could be causing this?

Thanks
Dodgy AM radio reception in Volvo S80 - frostbite
Start by checking the radio earthing point(s) for corrosion - maybe even make up your own extra earth point if the opportunity is there.

--
Use it up : Wear it out : Make do : Do without
Dodgy AM radio reception in Volvo S80 - Stuartli
Some car radios provide the means to "tune" the aerial signal by turning a small screw to find the strongest input for AM transmissions.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Dodgy AM radio reception in Volvo S80 - frostbite
Some car radios provide the means to "tune" the aerial signal
by turning a small screw to find the strongest input for
AM transmissions.

Agreed, but based on the information that it starts OK, then gets worse, there is no point in attempting to tune something that might vary due to mechanical changes.

If it's a standard aerial on the bodywork type it might be worth trying to remove it and then check for a good earth point where it's secured.
Dodgy AM radio reception in Volvo S80 - SjB {P}
Technical Service Bulletin 3390025 was issued in July 2001 to solve this problem by dealer visit. I recall reading that this is indeed a grounding (or rather, lack of) problem.
Dodgy AM radio reception in Volvo S80 - David Horn
Was under the impression that the AM aerial is located inside the head unit itself.
Dodgy AM radio reception in Volvo S80 - Dynamic Dave
Was under the impression that the AM aerial is located inside
the head unit itself.

Not on car radios. The passenger cell acts as a faraday cage and can mask the signal. The aerial has to be external.