Mk1 Mondeo problem! - Ph0en1xUk
Hi, wondering if you can help me out, because this is driving me round the bend!

I have a 1995 Mk1 Mondeo, 1.8 LX.

It seems to have problems starting, but it never really does the same thing twice! so its really hard to pin point.

Sometimes on starting I will get in the car and turn the key, and nothing will happen.. just silence. However the car will act like the key is turned to position 2 on the ignition. (hence lights, heating,radio works).

Sometimes when I go the start to the car, the engine turns over, but fails to ignite, this only occurs when the car hasnt been driven for a few days. It also occurs in wet and dry conditions.
Usually have a second attempt, or a lot of trying it will actually start.

Sometimes, and this happens the most, the car will start, but will idle incrediably low, and infact stall straight after starting.. I then have to restart, and sit there with my foot on the rev's to keep the engine from stalling. Then, what will happen, is I will drive around town, and or drive a long way eg:200 miles, and pull up a junction, (off the motorway) and as soon as it hits idle, it will stall...

All of this happens on and off, and its just totally irregular..

Luckly this week the car has been fine, and starts first time, but then the morning, it didnt.

Im confused, surely this is a combination of things

Any ideas?

Please.... :)

Mk1 Mondeo problem! - Ph0en1xUk
bump
Mk1 Mondeo problem! - Altea Ego
You are right - its a combination of things.

1/ The silence and nothing happening symptom. This is classic bad earth to engine problem. Clean up all the battery terminals, and clean the terminals on the engine to body earth strap.

2/The rest are spark/fueling problems. may be cured when you fix 1 (sparks anyway). YOu need the standard routine of check or renew the plugs, renew leads, distributer cap, rotor arm etc etc.
( I assume a Mondeo of this vintage does not have coil packs)