Something fast but not too flash - Xileno {P}
SWMBO wants to replace her ageing Toyota. We already have a Renault Megane dci which we like very much and has been totally reliable. But as we've got one sensible car I would like something a bit naughty...about 200bhp should do the trick :-)

At the moment I am seriously tempted by the Megane 225 Sport since it is quite discreet and can be a five door. From the front and sides it doesn't look much different from any other Megane although the back is a bit different.

I've ruled out BMW's and Imprezza's as they're too flash for me and likely to get stolen or vandalised. I like the discreet nature of the Megane but are there any other cars I've overlooked? It must seat four adults and be five doors. Our local Renault dealer is excellent as well which is another factor in the decision.

The plan is SWMBO will have the dci and I will have the new car. Fair don't you all think?
Something fast but not too flash - Wilco {P}
Big discounts available on the Megane :o)

Alternative - Seat Leon VT - avoid the Cupra/R models and they look pretty much like any other Leon. 180 hp so not up with the Megane (quite)

Something fast but not too flash - Thommo
Seat Toledo V5. A real Q car if ever there was one and cheap second hand as they are totally overlooked by most.
Something fast but not too flash - cheddar
I was thinking Megane 225 as soon as I saw the thread title, otherwise the Megane 2.0 T 165 is pretty quick and even more subtle.
Something fast but not too flash - bradgate
The new Golf GTI has has universal rave reviews and is reasonably discreet if you don't order a red one...

Something fast but not too flash - Stuartli
>>Fair don't you all think?>>

SWMBO might not agree for one....:-)

A Ford Focus Zetec with the 115 TDCI diesel engine is splendidly quick, handles superbly, rides well and is parsimonious with its fuel supply.

A three-door version is quite rare compared to the five-door offerings and provides a touch of individuality.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Something fast but not too flash - Happy Blue!
Subaru Forester XT - It's an Imprezza under the skin, but a small five door estate on top.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Something fast but not too flash - Altea Ego
"A Ford Focus Zetec with the 115 TDCI diesel engine is splendidly quick, handles superbly, rides well and is parsimonious with its fuel supply."

No he meant QUICK not quick.

Something fast but not too flash - Stuartli
PS

The Focus Edge TDCI 115, which has sports suspension, is being advertised on this page for £11,090 or you could have a look at the Focus 115 Sport version.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Something fast but not too flash - daveyjp
Depends on budget but the new Mazda 6 is a real stealth car - 2.0 turbo with four wheel drive - £25k though.
Thanks for all your replies. I hadn't thought of a Seat so that's worth investigation. I fear a Golf will be too expensive and the Mazda certainly is. No doubt they are superb cars.

I was thinking of spending about 17K so an ex-demo Megane 225 should be in budget.

Now I must got and test drive one... :-)
Plenty of discounts on Renaults - think you should get a brand new one for £17K. Try some of the news links on the right.....
Thanks Wilco but first I'm going to test drive one. 0-60 in 6.5 secs, sounds like fun to me. Have to watch the driving licence though :-(
Enjoy - had a go in one a couple of weeks back. Seriously quick especially in a straight line!!
Something fast but not too flash - steveb
My choive would also be a SEAT Leon - however the 150 TDi FR. Can be remapped easily and cheaply to c180 BHP and c300 lbs/ft of torque.

Storming mid range performance and 45 mpg...

Steve
Something fast but not too flash - VTiredeyes
whoaaaaaaaa
if you have £17K to spend, how about a sexy black subaru impreza wrx sti. no modifications. lady driver, well abliet from friday night when i use it.

its got 2 years subaru warranty left.
low insurance !
no honest its £680 for my wife to insure it, she's 33, thats with direct line. fully comp.

its got rac trackstar on it.

we have had nobody trying to steal it either.

go on, you know you want it.

0-60 in 4.9 seconds 4 wheel drive, nice and safe.
yours for £17K
£25K new, around £20K on the forecourts
Something fast but not too flash - VTiredeyes
265 bhp i forgot to mention.
take a look here

www.subaru.co.uk/IMGGB/WWW/Subaru_co_uk.nsf/NULL/3...t

Something fast but not too flash - blue_haddock
There not still available new as a 5dr but how about a corolla T-sport? 190bhp, boringly reliable (well it is a toyota!) and fairly discreet. Available for well under your budget as well.

Other possible options

A used Audi S8? just about available on your budget
A Used BMW M5? again just about on the money
Nearly New Focus ST170
Nearly New Mondeo ST220
New Astra Turbo Coupe

Something fast but not too flash - Avant
Megane 225 sounds just right, especially as you live near a good dealer (I wonder if that's Cross Roads in Oxfordshire - I used them for 20 years and they were the best garage I've ever been to).

If you don't like it you should have a run in a Civic Type S: not as fast as a 225 (it has 158 bhp) but probably easier to drive in traffic. SWMBO loves hers apart from the poor turning circle. It also has a huge amount of rear legroom - if that's an issue for you.
Something fast but not too flash - mlj
Off the top of my head: old model Octavia RS? Or,
Is 170 bhp, 8.5 secs 0-60, 140 top speed quick enough? At £17000 I would have a look at the Volvo S40 2.4.
Megane 225 sounds just right, especially as you live near a
good dealer (I wonder if that's Cross Roads in Oxfordshire -
I used them for 20 years and they were the best
garage I've ever been to).

Nope. Platinum Renault, good old Wiltshire.
Something fast but not too flash - PatrickO
I think he wants something discreet Vtiredeyes and that is not. What about a sporty new Astra SRi or Honda civic r-type, bit in your face though that one. Is there a sporty BMW 1 out yet? I'd go for a Golf Gti myself for the size and your budget, it looks pretty understated. The megane fits the bill as well and although I'm not a fan of the styling, at least you won't see too many about. I got a new Vectra Gsi for £14.5K pretty understated, apart from the twin pipes and very, very naughty :). Every time someone asks for car advice, that chap says Forester XT everytime, v. funny.
Something fast but not too flash - Alex147
I would suggest BMW - something like a 325i or even 330d.
Or how about an Audi S3 - looks like the ordinary hatch but with 210bhp, 4WD?
Or even the VW Golf V64Motion - superb car.
I was due to provide an update, I think it's only courteous to update people who have spent time giving advice.
I tested the Megane 225 and was hugely impressed. Fast is an understatement. But if you want to dawdle around in town as 20mph it's quite happy as well. Nice car all round.
Looked at the Leon as well although didn't test drive it. Seemed nicely built as well.
But we haven't arrived at a decision yet. It's a lot of money and I want to get it right. I've also heard there maybe a high performance version of the Dci Megane coming out but I can't remember where I saw or heard about it. IIRC it would be the 1.9 tuned up to about 150bhp. Anyone know about it?
Something fast but not too flash - scott1s
How about an Alfa Romeo 156 either a GTA or the 2.5v624V. Or even the 2.4JTD version. Gorgeous to drive
Something fast but not too flash - SlightlyFatRep
I am suprised no one has mentioned the Skoda Octavia vRS 1.8 Turbo (out of the Audi TT ((180hp as standard and easily uprated if this isn't enough)). A far more practical boot than the Megane and looks great. An estate version also available.

The ammount of these that I see being driven by the Police both here in Wiltshire (and in other counties in the South West) both marked and unmarked is suprising. A neighbour of my Mother's is in the Old Bill and says that they are superb, also cheaper than the Volvo V70 T5's, more agile as well.

As they have not yet brought out the new shape Octavia in vRS guise the old shape ones are a steal and will leave you with plenty of change for a few track days for you and SWMBO to have some real fun!
Something fast but not too flash - cheddar
There is a 130 bhp 1.9 DCI in the Laguna now, up 10 bhp.
Something fast but not too flash - MichaelR
For me, the choice would be simple if I was after this sort of car.

A brand new Mondeo ST220 in Performance Blue from a broker, for £18k

220bhp, subtle yet stylish good looks, Recaro leather interior, bags of kit including climate control etc, great handling, and a bargain at the broker price, list price is a staggering £23k.

Hold their value well also - you still need £6-7k for a good ST200 and they are coming up for 6 years old are are the previous shape...
Something fast but not too flash - Andy P
How about the Accord Type-R or Type-S?

Type-R 212bhp
Type-S 190bhp

Both are very reliable and superb cars to drive. Type S (without the read wing) is a bit of a Q-car, unlike the Type-R.

Andy
Something fast but not too flash - andymc {P}
I'll balance Michael's suggestion above by adding the Mondeo ST TDCi to the possibilities.

Although the current Leon is due to be replaced soon, I think the current model would present a better ownership prospect than a Megane. If the Megane was up against the new Leon, even less of a contest!
--
andymc
Vroom, vroom - mmm, doughnuts ...