Vaux Cav '95 Alternator Bushes?? - Ellis86
Evening all,

Twice this evening my battery light on the dash stayed on longer than normal after starting the car, it went out fully after a little while but it started to flicker gently on tickover.

The belt isn't slack, left it an hour or so and started it a couple of times, light went out straight away but gently flickered until i revved the engine, it then went out completely.

I'm thinking it's the bushes, if so what sort of a job is it and any ideas on prices or other solutions to the symptoms.

Thanks

Ellis
Vaux Cav '95 Alternator Bushes?? - mjm
I think you mean brushes? An alternator usually has slip rings, same sort of thing really. The last ones I changed were in an Allegro, not difficult, they are in the rear of the alternator, you generally have to remove the diode pack which may involve some unsoldering/soldering.
They don't cost much, I would have thought <£10 from a Lucas agent. They will need the type of alternator fitted, though. If you can, clean the outside of it and write down any numbers you see on it.
Vaux Cav '95 Alternator Bushes?? - john deacon
if it were me id swap it for a recon unit
Vaux Cav '95 Alternator Bushes?? - Aprilia
Take it to an autoelectrical workshop and ask them to replace the brushes and clean the slip rings. Cost about £20-30 max.
Yep did mean brushes, light has been on and off this morning and it has developed a low/medium pitch whine which alters on revving the engine, also had the management light on and off along with the airbag light, I assume symptoms of the alternator problem?

Managed to do 22 miles this morning is it worth a call to the RAC to get it to the garage or just take a risk getting home?

Thanks

Ellis
Vaux Cav '95 Alternator Bushes?? - mjm
I would get it checked out, quickly, it may be developing an internal electrical fault and going over-voltage or the regulator developing a fault. If left it may do expensive damage to the electronics.
I noticed this morning that the battery light was glowing as normal but it went very bright for 10 secs before going out for a few miles, I thought it might have popped the bulb, but it came on again later.
Vaux Cav '95 Alternator Bushes?? - Dynamic Dave

Get another alternator. As others have already mentioned, it's overcharging and could cause damage to many components. Simply changing the brushes *might* not cure the problem.
Vaux Cav '95 Alternator Bushes?? - Big Vern
Get another alternator. As others have already mentioned, it's overcharging and
could cause damage to many components. Simply changing the brushes *might*
not cure the problem.

Granted but it is cheap, and easy to replace bushes as a DIY and when you take the old ones out you can see how worn they are... if they are not worn out then think about getting a recon unit.
Vaux Cav '95 Alternator Bushes?? - john deacon
depends how much your own time is worth i guess
Vaux Cav '95 Alternator Bushes?? - mfarrow
Is it a diesel or petrol?

I know the diesel cavaliers of this vintage have the alternator and power steering pump in one unit.

A mate of mine had this problem and the alternator eventually overcooked itself, needing a pretty expensive repair, £200 for the alternator/pump alone IIRC.