rover216 wiring for w/washers - tom1234
can somebody tell me how the wiring works on the front windscreen washers.there is 2 wires coming from the pump assembly 1 goes to the washer/indicator stalk. where would the other 1 go to? the pump is mounted on the side of the washer resevoir so would the other 1 go to earth? i dont understand the principle of what happens electrically when you press the washer stalk can somebody help me out here please?
rover216 wiring for w/washers - Peter D
Quite often the stalk switch ground the line that is connected to the pump and a ignition live feed is supplied to the motor. Put a meter on the stalk feed and see is this goes to 12 volts when activated if not use the resistance range and see if it goes to ground when activiated. Regards Peter
thanks peter all ive done so far is check,'there is no power at the pump when the switch is pushed', also ive checked continuity on 1 of the wires from the stork to the pump and this is ok.the problem is i don't know where the other 1 goes to check continuity on this 1? p.s the other functions on the stalk are working ok so i assume the ground on the stalk is ok.
thanks
rover216 wiring for w/washers - Civic8
IIRC Black/green + supply from stalk. Black is earth.Not certain where it is mounted though..Are you sure its not a siezed motor
--
Steve
IIRC Black/green + supply from stalk. Black is earth.Not certain where it is mounted though..Are you sure its not a siezed motor...............
first what does IIRC mean plze? ive tested the red lead and there's continuity there so i assume thats the power feed lead from the stalk.
as for the seized motor ive changed it, the other one i.e for the back washer works as they are joined together on the washer bottle.
(If I remember correctly).And yes it could be the earth connection.I think the Same connection supplys W/Motor as well..May be corroded?
--
Steve
ok many thanks stev.o will check it out
rover216 wiring for w/washers - Altea Ego
The washer bottle is plastic and as it has no natural earth will require an earth lead

One will be live 12v one will be earth.

It will probably be switched live. One lead should be earth (check contibuity between this and car body) and one will be live when the button is pressed.
ok now i'm confused(which doesn't take a lot).
let me explain a bit more for you to pinpoint the problem.
the stalk has a twist rear wipe/wash as well as a push front wash on the end. the rear wash works fine when it's twisted.
when a meter is applied to 1 of the leads which goes to the connector at the back of the stork, when the stalk is pressed there's no power showing. there is continuity on the wire that goes to the connector. as for the other 1 i don't know. because i don't know where to look for it.
oh and the fuse is ok.
hope i'm not appearing thick its just i don't have a workshop manual for this car.
any thoughts?
The earth feed is common to both R/F screen pumps and F/windscreen wiper motor..I have a 200 series so will look at mine tomorrow.It would be easier to get someone to opperate switch while you check voltage at connector plug. Ie you know the + lead.. connect AVO + to this.Then - to other pin.. if no reading. take - to nearest bolt or clean metal part..Even a bad earth may give a reading.If no + then would suspect the switch..They have been known to fail..How old is it
--
Steve
ah thanks gotcha now steve.o i did check the raeding on the powoer side at the pump whilst someone pressed the stalk and got nothing but i didnt check the other for earth. the car is a J reg.

the problem with my washers was down to the stalk being faulty.
changed the stalk and the washers now work. many thanks guys for your advice.