Ford Focus 1.8 petrol erratic idle - chris2004
Hi there,

Has anyone had a problem with a ford focus petrol idling badly.
And the breather hose from the sump of the engine to the inlet manifold collapses on tick over its only happend this last two days.
The air filter is clean and the scantool finds no faults.

Cheers Chris..
I examined the car further today there is a lot of blow back when the oil filler cap is taken off the engine there is only 43k on the car.

any ideas.
Ford Focus 1.8 petrol erratic idle - Civic8
Have you checked the hose to find out whether it has collapsed..Not knowing the car cannot be more specific.Apart from interior of hose may have broken up.causing a blockage ie engine cannot breath?
--
Steve
Steve i have checked the hose its o.k.

It seems like the engine is looking for more air than it can get which is making it close the pipe going to the back of the inlet manifold as the vacuum is so great..

The amount of blow back on the engine is very bad which is abit worrying (if you had a cap on and you leaned down to the filler cap it would nearly blow it off).
But the car seems o.k when driving down the road.
All the filters are clean.

chris.
Ford Focus 1.8 petrol erratic idle - storme
the air filter may look clean,,,,it sounds like this is blocked..

this isnt a good idea,,but try it for 5 minutes only...
take the air filter out and try it like that..but not for long,,just long enough to prove whether it is that or not..

then put it back in,,even if it is proved wrong :)
Storme I give that ago but it is still the same.
With the blow out of the oil filler cap i am starting to think maybe a valve sticking or a head gasket..

Is there any known problems with the 1.8 16v zetec engine.

Chris.

Ford Focus 1.8 petrol erratic idle - Snakey
My 1.8 Focus had an erratic idle and it was simply one of the HT leads wasnt firmly seated. I've noticed these HT leads seem to gradually work their way loose after a while despite being firmly seated originally.

It cured the problem of the occasional stall as well. Strange really as I thought a misfire would have occured but presumably the ECU compensates for the fault.
Ford Focus 1.8 petrol erratic idle - trancer
Does the engine have a PCV or cranckcase ventilation valve?. It would be a small rubber hose leading from valve cover to air box or something like that. I imagine if it became blocked and the crankcase was not venting properly there would be symptoms as you decribed.

Just a guess, I have nothing to back it up, but it costs nothing to check.
Just read your original post again and the hose you describe could well be for crankcase ventilation and the collapsing of the hose would be the intake drawing a vaccum on a blocked PCV valve.

Disconnect the hose and see if there is still oil blowback from the filler. A new PCV valve shouldn't cost much at all and it won't harm anything if you were to replace it in the search of a cure.
I took the head off the engine today the head gasket looks o.k but one of the bores has three lines down it the car was going fine the other day intil petrol was put in it..

Afterwards the engine started pinking loudly and there was a smell of parafin out of the exhaust(i no itshud have been turned off but the girlfriend was driving at the time)..
I have heard a few people complain about the petrol from that filling station ...
What in the petrol could be small enough to get past injectors but big enough to score the cylinder?.
I got the head off the engine last night couldnt see much wrong only a few marks on one of the bores ..
But took out that piston today and the piston is broken between the rings such an operation might have to get another engine as there is a slight trace of water in the oil and i think the head might also be gone....

All this cause of crap petrol not a happy camper..

What can i do in this situation with the filling station..
Doesnt sound like a petrol problem.Slight trace of water could be where the head was taken off.
--
Steve
Forgot to ask.Between which rings has the piston broken?.It is possible a broken ring caused the problem.As you mentioned scoring of the cylinder wall.
--
Steve
We suspected the rings were broken but today we got the pistons out and there is no rings broken but three pistons are broke (The thin piece of alloy between the two top rings about 2 inches long) all in the same place...
The oil on the inside of the rocker cover was a bit milky but the header tank was full of coolant and didnt seem to be building up pressure.

chris..