Nissan Name New Car After Blair.. - Vansboy
After giving Nissan £5,000,000 grant, to build their new model, in UK, our government insisted they also, re-name it.

In Japan it's called the Nissan Note - over here, it'll be known as Nissan......... TONE!!!!!!!!!!!!

& I'm serious!!

VB
Nissan Name New Car After Blair.. - Avant
This Nissan is yet another example of the stylist being given his head and forgetting about the need to see out of the thing.

Renault are ome of the worst offenders, especially the Megane (and the mark 1 Megane was poor too). How do you reverse a Megane (other than by faith and prayer) with that appalling three-quarter blind spot? Ugliness is subjective - some love the look of the Megane, others loathe it. But visibility isn't subjective.

Ditto the Peugeot 206 whose rear passenger door always remnds me of a 1970's Datsun Cherry, with a sililar blind spot.

Strangely, Renault always get good safety ratings from NCAP. Maybe NCAP, like Bob Newhart's driving instructor, 'didn't intend to cover reverse this early'.
Nissan Name New Car After Blair.. - Avant
I've just realised why Nissan have called it the Tone.

Remember TB saying 'I don't have a reverse gear'....
Nissan Name New Car After Blair.. - Kevin
Apparently it won't go on sale until they've sorted out problems with the Stability and Traction Control.

At the moment they can't stop it spinning.

Kevin...
Nissan Name New Car After Blair.. - Robin Reliant
The more I look at it the more I like it. Maybe some of you think it lacks the design flair of your average Vauxhall Zzzzzzzzz but I can see it starting a styling trend. We're about due for one, apart from a couple of Italian and French exceptions modern cars look boring.
Nissan Name New Car After Blair.. - Civic8
>>spinning
Sounds like labour/car looks good..But will they do the same for rover????
--
Steve
Nissan Name New Car After Blair.. - patently
At the moment they can't stop it spinning.

:-D

The problem has been traced - it seems that there are two steering wheels, being operated in contrary directions.
Nissan Name New Car After Blair.. - NowWheels
>> At the moment they can't stop it spinning.

>>
The problem has been traced - it seems that there are
two steering wheels, being operated in contrary directions.

Ah, but the driver is from the North-East, where the car will be made. The other occupant (A Scot) is very miffed cos he's found out that his wheel is only a toy one (not connected to anything), and that he's never going to get a turn behind the real wheel.
he's found out that his wheel is only a toy one (not
connected to anything)

Oh yes it is. His steering wheel is very much connected to our bank accounts.

If only you were right, NW.
Nissan Name New Car After Blair.. - Citroënian {P}
>>it seems that there are two steering wheels, being operated in contrary directions

Taking the car in an unexpected, third way.
--
Lee
Having a Fabialous time.
Nissan Name New Car After Blair.. - trancer
I just looked up the Tone on the CBC breakdown and while the picture was up that Toyota Verso ad was also on. The two appear almost identical in side profile. The only thing giving away the Tone would be those high tailights.
Nissan Name New Car After Blair.. - Altea Ego
"forgetting about the need to see out of the thing."

Thats a good point Avant.

Whilst I like everything about the GoonaII, in the saloon the rear visibility, when reversing is appaling.

Was speaking to the owner of a jazz yesterday, they are going to get rid because they reckon it has bad blind spots.

Wonder when (if) NCAP is going to include driver visibility as a marking criteria, along with any other criteria that prevent accidents happening in the first place.
Nissan Name New Car After Blair.. - BazzaBear {P}
This reminds me of the story of an old Mitsubishi sports car. They decided they wanted it to have a strong name, a name that made people think of power & grace. They decided to call it the Stallion.
Unfortunately, they told the US marketing arm this over the phone, and the US misheard the Japanese accent.
And so the Mitsubishi Starion was born.

Anyone know if this is a true story? Or just an urban legend?

Oh, if you want to see a Starion in action, one was driven in Cannonball Run (or was it Fever) by Jaws (from Bond) and a very young Jackie Chan.
Nissan Name New Car After Blair.. - Stuartli
Would definitely lower the tone of our neighbourhood if that's the name...:-)

Said individiual would probably want one free.

A list of some genuine stupid car model names:

www.lightman.com/popeye/bb.html

There are also many examples of a car model name meaning one thing in one country and something extremely rude in another...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Nissan Name New Car After Blair.. - frostbite
If they only had the four letters left in their John Bull Badgemakers kit, they could have gone a lot classier by calling it the Eton.
Or put bling wheels on it and call it the Elton?
Or there could be a model called the

stayonholidaywhilehalftheworlddrowns Tone
Nissan Name New Car After Blair.. - Pugugly {P}
On the day,of course, that HM Government annouces that they made
£20m from Speed Cameras....
Nissan Name New Car After Blair.. - Leon on Derv
I thought the current Megane's were ugly as sin when I first saw them, but quite like them now. I bet this will turn out the same.

Leon
Nissan Name New Car After Blair.. - Badger
No 10 is today crowing that the £5 million bubg may (notice the 'may' -- not 'will') enable us to beat the French for the investment.

Will someone please tell me why bribes are A Bad Thing when a company pays them in the Middle East with its own money, and for the same purpose, but A Good Thing when HM Gov does it in Europe with our money?

And if Nissan are themselves stumping up £240 million, our £5 million is the tea money -- so why is it important, and who actually gets it?
Oh come on, everyone knows the difference between aid, a grant, loan, bribery, bung or corruption?

Dont they? I do, its ... well its.... errrrrrr
Nissan Name New Car After Blair.. - Aprilia
Don't forget that Nissan is a foreign company and therefore automatically better than a UK company and hence worthy of a grant.

The scale works like this:

UK public sector organisation - Very very bad; absolute scum in fact.
Foreign public sector - very bad, but not as bad as UK public sector.
UK private sector company - OK
European company - Good
Asian (Chinese/Japanese/Korean) Company - Very good.
American company - Very very good.
Nissan Name New Car After Blair.. - Badger
Dead right -- but you forgot Rule 14(1)(j.37) -- any one of them goes to the top if it's in a ruling party's marginal seat.
Oh come on, everyone knows the difference between aid, a grant,
loan, bribery, bung or corruption?

Oh, RF, its the well known irregular verb:

I give state aid, grants, and loans to promising new enterprises.

You bribe foreign officials.

The French and Germans give bungs to cosseted state firms.

We are all corrupt.

;-)
Nissan Name New Car After Blair.. - Stuartli
Found some examples of unfortunate car model names (courtesy of Top Gear mag):

GM?s Buick division kept the name LaCrosse for a new car for the States even though in French-speaking parts of Canada this translates as ?sexual self-gratification? ? GM didn?t realise apparently that Regal, the car it replaced, means "gay" in Quebec.

Mitsubishi?s Syhogun is also known as the Montero and Pajero in various European markets but, in Spain, this represents a similar meaning to that of the LaCrosse; the Chevrolet Nova also amused the Spanish as No Va means ?does not go.?

If you?re planning a car journey around Sweden, remember that a request for a car wash translates as ?one for an enema.?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Nissan Name New Car After Blair.. - Robin Reliant
I wonder if Rover realise their name means "a dog" in this country?
LOL!