HJ's CR-V review - Citroënian {P}
Go on then.

last line -
And because of that the placard-waving, ignorant anti-4x4 brigade will inevitably hate it all the more

What about the well placard free, informed anti-4x4 brigade? We hate them too.
--
Lee
Having a Fabialous time.
HJ's CR-V review - Julian
I can't see why you hate the CR-V.

Its safe for its occupants and offers significantly improved pedestrian protection than many saloons, let along 4x4's.

Its more economical than many saloons and other 4x4's.

Its not even a 4x4, having front wheel drive for most road surfaces.

In fact I think the anti 4x4 lobby is ill informed on many issues.

HJ's CR-V review - Happy Blue!
Yep, the only things it could be criticised for are: -

1. It has the 4wd stuff on it which though rarelyused uses a little more power; and

2. It is higher which worsens the aerodynamics.

Between them say 10% worse fuel economy? It could be a Ferrari doing 15mpg - why don't they ban those?
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
HJ's CR-V review - Baskerville
>It could be a Ferrari doing 15mpg - why don't they ban those?

Because in most cases Ferraris have style and glamour. Seeing a Ferrari on the street is akin to seeing Kate Moss. Seeing the CR-V and its ilk is more like having to look at Bernard Manning in his vest and pants. Actually there are so many of the darn things it's like seeing Bernard Manning on every street corner.
HJ's CR-V review - Burnout2
They leave enthusiasts cold for most of the same reasons MPVs do; for being ugly, bulky, graceless, view-obstructing utility vehicles offering little in the way of driver enjoyment. The car reduced to mere functional transport - at least 'proper' 4X4s are. But I understand why people buy them, and I find anti-libertarian campaigns against their right to so so far more objectionable.
Kate Moss is too thin and Bernard Manning is very funny!

--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
HJ's CR-V review - Retro
"Seeing a Ferrari on the street is akin to seeing Kate Moss"........

Why. Was it smoking?
HJ's CR-V review - smoke
Manning is not funny if you belong to anything that isn't white anglo saxon male.
or to quote the great Edmund Blackadder, "he is about as funny as getting an arrow through the neck and finding a gas bill stuck to the end"
Being Jewish and at the thick end of some very poor taste jokes, I can tell you from personal experience that Bernard Manning is a real gentleman who wouldn't hurt a fly and does not condone racism.

He is also very funny if you live within three miles of Harpurhey, as I do. I've been to his club and the worst I have suffered is a joke about the limited quantity of alcohol I drink.
--
HJ's CR-V review - tack
Bernard Manning in his vest and pants? Well, at least he makes me laugh. Kate Moss doesn't. So, does that make a 4X4 more fun to drive than a prancing horse?

No, I am afraid not....doh!
>>Seeing the CR-V and its ilk is more like having to look at Bernard Manning in his vest and pants

Ha ha ha ha ha, a brilliant image. It'll will now forever be for me the Bernard Manning pantsmobile. (still laughing)
--
Lee
Having a Fabialous time.
HJ's CR-V review - bartycrouch
>It could be a Ferrari doing 15mpg - why don't they
ban those?

Because in most cases Ferraris have style and glamour. Seeing a
Ferrari on the street is akin to seeing Kate Moss. Seeing
the CR-V and its ilk is more like having to look
at Bernard Manning in his vest and pants. Actually there are
so many of the darn things it's like seeing Bernard Manning
on every street corner.

No, it's because they are 2nd on the list for the anti-car lobby; and make no mistake they will be using the envy card against them too.

The CR-V is a very good vehicle, and if small 4x4 like this were banned there is no logical arguement against banning cars like the Audi TT, (which would make more sense if we are using criteria like NCAP pedestrian safety ratings)

>>I can't see why you hate the CR-V

Oh, don't get me wrong. It's not that I hate the CR-V

I hate all these ridiculous things that are way too big for our roads.
ill informed

Just because I think you're wrong doesn't make me ill informed.

What will these people be driving once everyone has a out-sized vehicle? To feel safe, my money is on a surge of 7.5tonne trucks. It happened in the States, and it's now happening here too.

Now, where's my placard kit?

--
Lee
Having a Fabialous time.
HJ's CR-V review - smoke
What defines outsized?
A Citroen C5 estate is longer and 1 cm less wide
a Citroen C8 is longer taller and wider
Does this mean that they are too big for our roads?

The anti 4x4 brigade seem lose arguments badly in motoring circles since they tar all the cars with the same brush. A CRV/Xtrail etc is not the same sort of car as a Disco/RangeRover which in turn is not the same as a Hummer/F150 etc etc.
If i compared a C8 to a ford Ka, and complained that the C8 took up too much room on the road than the Ka, i would be laughed at since they are not the same class of car. Yet when the same is done with 4x4's the arguement seems to make sense for some. While watching anti 4x4 people on the TV e.g. last weeks watchdog, i found their arguements very poor. I found this not because of the content of the arguement but because they were tarring everything with the same brush.
A 4x4 is more polluting than other cars. Well yes and no. Some are and some arn't, some are cleaner than 2x4s.
4x4's are more dangerous to pedestrians, well all cars are dangerous to pedestrians, but some 4x4's may well be more dangerous, but the others arn't and are in fact safer for pedestrians (relativly).
4x4's are more difficult to see round. As are panel vans, and people carriers.
You don't need a car that big. Well some people do and some don't , if we are being honest even people who hate anti 4x4's probably have a car that is too big for them. in reality all everyone needs is a scooter to get to work, since their own car, like most cars on the road probably has only 1 person in it.
They are driven too aggressivly. Well i can drive a fiesta in such a way as to intimidate the car in front ( i don't but thats a different point), and being hit from behind at 70 mph in anything is fairly damn serious.
I have mixed views with 4x4's some i think are a little excessive, and some i don't. What irks me is blanket comments that tar a car just because it has drive to 4 wheels instead of 2, which cannot stand to scrutiny of any sort.
(Dark room time)

HJ's CR-V review - tack
In the area I live, old, smoking and clapped out Sierra's, Cavaliers, Nova's, Sunny's, XR3's, Fiesta's abound in high numbers. They don't have brake assist, air bags, engine management, Seatbelt tensioners,Traction control, Side impact bars, Centre 3-point belts, Anti-lock brakes etc. My 4X4 does.

Whose car should be banned from the road? Mine? Get real. Take mine off the road and you should take off scores of thousands of others which are not 4X4....but are more unfit for the road than mine.

Is my car any more dangerous that a rusty Morris Marina (yes, there is one left and it lives in 7 Kings) driven by a myopic 80 year old who took his test in 1945?
>>(Dark room time)

(Eastender's voice) - Leave it out smoke, it's not worth it ;-)

>>Is my car any more dangerous that a rusty Morris Marina (yes, there is one left and it lives in 7 Kings) driven by a myopic 80 year old who took his test in 1945

Same fellow, outsized yank wagon. Which would you rather he hit you in?

Here's the truth of it.

*My Opinion* is that 99% of the people with 4x4s/outsized vehicles don't need them. A collision between a car and a 4x4 will cause more damage to the car than the same collision between two cars. As most people drive cars in this country, that's bad news for most people.

A 4x4 is a selfish choice, but we live in a selfish country. It's quite depressing.
--
Lee
Having a Fabialous time.
HJ's CR-V review - Martin Devon
1. The vast majority of people drive/own cars that are too big for their needs, but on ocassions they may need that extra room for a big shop or moving that armchair for Granny etc. If her indoors took Mother-in-law shopping and got our grub etc. it wouldn't fit in a micra etc.

2. We live in north Devon and we don't need a 4x4 except for maybe 1 day per year.

3. We drive a huge van, (work) and a necessity and also an ageing Volvo. Now, the Volvo is toooooo low for our roads here and in an ideal world much better visibility would be preferable. i.e 4x4 or MPV and I cannot stand MPV's.

4. I, not we, have always fancied a Camper. She prob doesn't and prefers airplanes and sun! Q. If I buy a camper, (and it would be used as the car as well), is somebody going to have a go at me cos it is big and uneconomical? AND don't ANYBODY go down the renting route cos I ain't a lottery winner. Get my drift.

5. On the thorny subject of pedestrians. We are good parents. We have the proof. Taught her to cross the road, use a knife and fork. The usual stuff that seems to be lacking in this space age of ours, but she, the Daughter and heiress to the overdraft always did and probably still does, swan across the road as if cars were/are made of sherbet and could do no harm and there are millions like her. We, the car owners can only drive sensibly and within safe limits for the conditions. We should NOT be held responsible for the pathetic attitude of pedestrians or their mates the cyclists.

Now I need a cup of tea.

VVBR........M
HJ's CR-V review - machika
Unfortunately, there are many drivers with pathetic attitudes too.
HJ's CR-V review - pocuk,joe2384
absolutely brilliant mate.I drive a 2.5 pajero diesel intercooler.I have less emmisions than the average family car, because mine is an import and they have more stringent emmision controls than we do.Because she's a fairly big truck compared to the average family car I rarely take it above seventy although I have had eighty out of it downhill.Because I sit so high up I can see an accident developing far sooner than the average saloon car driver.It has tax,an mot and insurance and i've personaly never had an accident in 34 years of driving.I don't hear to many of you bigots campaigning about 17 year olds with un-insured no licence to drive deathtraps of cars.Perhaps it's a sexual thing with you,I drive a big car so mine must be bigger than yours.Ladies and gentlemen,lets get things in perspective,my car is no more dangerous than yours (in fact it is probably safer) The only dangerous thing on the road is the driver

Joe (pocuk)
HJ's CR-V review - NowWheels
The anti 4x4 brigade seem lose arguments badly in motoring circles
since they tar all the cars with the same brush. A
CRV/Xtrail etc is not the same sort of car as a
Disco/RangeRover which in turn is not the same as a Hummer/F150
etc etc.

True, there important differences. But the term 4X4 is a convenient shorthand for a vehicle with 4WD, raised ground clearance, big wheels, and off-road capability.

It's a meaningful shorthand too: despite the differences, these machines do have some relevant things in common, things which distinguish them from ordinary cars. The extent of the difference varies, but it is a common factor.

Something like a CRV or RAV4 is not the same kettle of fish as a Shogun: the CRV is lighter, and probably has crumple zones rather than a ladder chassis. They are not as great a danger to other road-users as a Shogun.

But the likes of the CRV and RAV4 have a higher point of impact than a car or MPV (eased perhaps by intelligent design, but still higher than in an ordinary car), so they'll do more damage in a crash. They both are both likely to roll a pedestrian underneath than to lift them onto the bonnet (an effect which NCAP doesn't even attempt to measure).

And they both still gobble more fuel than an equivalent estate car or MPV.

I'm sure that the roads would be safer if folks replaced their Shoguns and Discoveries with CRVs and RAV4s, but they usually seem to appear as replacements for ordinary cars.

Yes, I know there are some situations where a traditional 4X4 is a thoroughly appropriate tool for the job, but in most cases they seem to be bought as a choice rather than because of offroad or towing ability.
HJ's CR-V review - Ex-Moderator
>>And they both still gobble more fuel than an equivalent estate car or MPV.

Not true.

Also, if we wish to avoid injury to pedestrians, car design is one aspect. Pedestrian responsibility is another factor. All these factors should be addressed - including the right to cross roads at anything other than a crossing, to ever be out when drunk, to ever walk along dark roads in dark clothing, etc. etc. etc.

You also keep slipping into your arguments that people do not "need" a 4x4. What has that to do with anything ? For the most part people don't "need" Sky Television, they don't "need" a stereo, they don't "need" nice clothes. But it is, until you and your mates Gordon and Tony really get going, a free country.

Do not reply with "ah, but Sky Television doesn't kill pedestrians" because that is a different point. Whether or not a 4x4 kills pedestrians is one point. It is not connected to whether or not I "need" one.

I am permitted to own things for frivolous reasons. Please seperate your deep seated worry about whether I need something from a focus on more relevant points.
I've just written a clever and convincing set of arguments to support the motion "4x4 - really pretty stupid"

But I've spent too long crafting it and for the first time, the posting page timed out.

So in summary.

"I think you're wrong"

"You think I'm wrong"

"Bernard Manning's pants"

I can probably do it again, but no one is going to change their mind based on a few postings.

--
Lee
Having a Fabialous time.
PS just checked HJ's assertion in his review of the CRV that "With its low CO2 output of 177g/km, its decent economy of 42.2mpg and its reasonably low weight of 1,631kg it is actually far more city and pedestrian friendly than most ordinary cars."

I just checked his review of the latest Mondeos: combined mpg: 50.4; CO2 emissions: 148g/km.

A fairer comparison may be his review of the Accord with the same engine: combined 48.4mpg; CO2 emissions 153g/km for the tourer (saloon 52.3mpg); CO2 emissions 143g/km)

So the CRV uses 15% more fuel, and produces 15% more emissions than an Accord Tourer, and about 20% more of each than the saloon. Sounds significantly less environmentally-friendly to me.

It's good news to see that it's more lighter than traditional 4X4s, but as to pedestrian-friendliness ... hmm. It does well in EuroNCAP, but EuroNCAP doesn't test for the problem of dragging pedestrians under the car.

(Mods, sorry for two consecutive posts but that's it, I've had my say in this thread!)
I can't help thinking that bringing in pedestrian responsibility is a bit of a red herring. Yes, pedestrians need to be as careful as possible how they interact with traffic, but they are not a seperate species or sector of society. We are all pedestrians at some time. It is not the fault of the indivdual pedestrian that they have to share roads with traffic, that is the way things are, for most areas that people live in.

One thing is for sure, however, and that is that pedestrians will be involved in accidents with traffic, and it is not always the pedestrian's fault. They will always come off worse, however!
HJ's CR-V review - nicholas
I'd been going to write to letters@honestjohn, but then I found this forum. Rather than waste my letter, here it is:

You write that because the latest Honda CRV is more economical than most SUVs, "the placard-waving, ignorant anti-4x4 brigade will inevitably hate it all the more".

Whoa, steady! I'm not placard-waving, and I'm not ignorant. So perhaps you would say this wasn't addressed to me. But I do feel impugned because I am indeed generally anti-4x4. Perhaps you're just stating a dislike of people with entrenched positions, but you look pretty entrenched yourself. I'll say it again: I'm generally anti-4x4, meaning I make exception for people who really need to tow heavy loads or work off-road - and how many, frankly, are they? But the vast majority of 4x4s are bought for shopping, taking children to school, or posing (an increasingly counter-productive activity, I'd have thought, given the way SUV drivers are derided).

I'm disappointed that your column, which is generally sane and well-balanced, should get twitchy in defence of these unnecessary and wasteful vehicles. I'll know that the world has started to show a bit of sanity when reviewers put mpg at the top of their reviews, and have the courage to say that 20, or 30, or even 40 mpg is simply not good enough.

As for the Honda, why should I hate it more because it's relatively economical? I hate it less.
HJ's CR-V review - thallium81
Here we go again. The 'I don't approve so it should be banned' brigade. There are some people who spend their entire lives finding fault, usually they have nothing much constructive to add; just moan, moan. Get out a bit and see the wood for the trees guys, it might open your eyes and give you something positive to write.

I'll just go for a drive in my Outback...yummmee.
I would imagine that there are quite few in this forum, who have no great belief in the latest forecast on global warming. Personnally, I am very concerned for the future generations (it probably won't affect me), so I would quite welcome a radical shift in how we use our cars and how they are designed. I find great difficulty in accepting an ongoing outlook of ''I have the money and I will spend it in any way I see fit'', if that means a headlong dive towards a global catastrophe.

A free society brings with it a requirement for a degree of responsibility, and the need to look beyond the needs of the next few years. As a species, we tend to think we can overcome any problem. I hope we can, but nature has a nasty habit of reminding us of our fallibility and limitations.

See the wood for the trees? Let us hope there are still plenty of trees to look at it at the end of this century.
The temperature of the earth has been going up and down like a yoyo for a couple of billion years. Each generation of the human race has had its problems and has overcome them to a greater or lesser degree, and no doubt will continue to do so. The belief that driving smaller cars in the UK is going to make any significant difference to the current climate change is ludicrous. A tiny percentage of atmospheric CO2 is caused by humans burning fossil fuel; as for UK's input; miniscule. Volcanos and other natural phenomena account for nearly all of it. If you really must have something to worry about try the killing fields of Africa and Asia, or the state of our roads!!
HJ's CR-V review - smoke
Wasn't there a report saying that cars take more energy and produce more greenhouse gases in their construction and distruction than they consume in a lifetime of burning fossil fuel.
A point which i say from observation ( rather than having concrete facts, hence is open to contradiction), is that 4x4's seem to survive much longer than comparitive standard cars, since even old ones are worth something compared to old cars which are usually worthless after about 9 years. This means that they are used for longer and not scrapped, thus if you devide total production+usage emmissions+distruction emissions by the age of the car, emissions/year may well be lower than a standard car, since i doubt that a 4x4 produces much more emissions in their construction than any other vehicle.
I may well be wrong but its an arguement i wish to put forward to the discussion :-).
The temperature of the earth has been going up and down
like a yoyo for a couple of billion years. Each generation
of the human race has had its problems and has overcome
them to a greater or lesser degree, and no doubt will
continue to do so. The belief that driving smaller cars in
the UK is going to make any significant difference to the
current climate change is ludicrous. A tiny percentage of atmospheric CO2
is caused by humans burning fossil fuel; as for UK's input;
miniscule. Volcanos and other natural phenomena account for nearly all of
it. If you really must have something to worry about try
the killing fields of Africa and Asia, or the state of
our roads!!

So, the proclamations and forecasts being made by about global warming (and the causes of it) by a mass of eminent scientists is so much drivel? Is that what you are saying? If the human race has so little effect on the earth's atmosphere, can you please tell me what is the cause of global dimming? Is that down to volcanoes and natural phenomena also? Mr Bush must be right in his opposition to the Kyoto treaty and its ilk, if that is the case.

To compare our generation with generations gone by is irrelevant, as the size of the current population of the world, and the scale and type of it's activities, is not comparable with anything that has gone before it, certainly not beyond the start of the last century.

The solution is not in driving smaller cars of the type we see today. It will take something much more radical than that.
HJ's CR-V review - Badger
So, the proclamations and forecasts being made by about global warming (and the causes of it) by a mass of eminent scientists is so much drivel

1. It's politically-correct science of the worst sort, fuelled by massive grants, and boondoggles like Kyoto, for saying the right things.
2. Equally eminent scientists, climatologists, palaentologists, geologists and even historians who take a dissenting view are shouted down.
3. Not one opposing case was allowed to be heard at Kyoto. Don't believe me? Name one.
4. The Danish study (are Danes not sufficiently 'eminent'?) linking warming to cyclical variation in solar activity gets suppressed every time.
1. It's politically-correct science of the worst sort, fuelled by
massive grants, and boondoggles like Kyoto, for saying the right things.
2. Equally eminent scientists, climatologists, palaentologists, geologists and even historians
who take a dissenting view are shouted down.
3. Not one opposing case was allowed to be heard
at Kyoto. Don't believe me? Name one.
4. The Danish study (are Danes not sufficiently 'eminent'?) linking
warming to cyclical variation in solar activity gets suppressed every time.

>>

Please tell me what is causing global dimming then, if it is not man made pollution. What is the cause of the destruction of natural habitats all over the world, if it is not human activity? Is the loss of these habitats not going to have far reaching effects for every animal on this planet? I suspect the effects may be detrimental to the human race.
Please tell me what is causing global dimming then.

Shouldn't you first present some evidence for its existence? OK, let's try commonsense -- explain why, if the amount of radiation has been declining at the claimed rate, skin cancers caused by sunshine are on the increase? This is the kind of counter-evidence that gets conveniently ignored.

'Global dimming' has come along at just the right moment to explain why global warming -- er -- doesn't seem to be happening after all. Lots of lovely new research grants here, though.
'Global dimming' has come along at just the right moment to
explain why global warming -- er -- doesn't seem to be
happening after all. Lots of lovely new research grants here, though.

I could say you provide evidence that it isn't happening. This forum isn't a science journal and is not the place to provide detailed scientific evidence. You say global warming isn't happening?

I notice that you don't deny that mass habitat destruction is being wrought by mankind. A bit difficult to deny that one isn't it? A little obvious I would have thought. A bit difficult to deny that this has far reaching effects for the planet. Some would say the loss of millions of species of plants and animals (that's not happening too?) doesn't matter; I am not one of those.
I could say you provide evidence that it isn't happening.

1. Prove a negative? Come off it, sunshine. Someone of your perception surely knows the answer to that juvenile standby.
2. Habitat destruction? How many topics are your trying to cover?
>> I could say you provide evidence that it isn't happening.
1. Prove a negative? Come off it, sunshine.
Someone of your perception surely knows the answer to that
juvenile standby.

Part of statistical analysis is to present an null hypothesis to show, at a particular level of probablity, that something isn't happening. Thus the null hypothesis could be that there is no evidence to show that global dimming is occurring. The alternative hypothesis is that there is evidence to show it is happening.
absence of evidence is not the same as evidence of absence.
Nicolas,

I'm generally anti you and your life and your possessions meaning I make exception for those things that you do that you really need to do and for those things that you own that you really need to own - and how many, frankly, are they ? But the vast majority of your possessions and activities are bought or done because you want to do them or have them or you enjoy to do them or have them.

There are many things you do, that you don't need to do. And I wish them banned. You see, I don't wish to do them so you need to be prohibited from doing them. Because I wish to control your life.

Your sincerely,

A small minded interfering know nothing who would dearly like a life, but must remain content to interfere in other people's.

================================================================
It is unfortunate for your beliefs that we live in a [decreasingly but currently] free country and are allowed to show free will and exhibit choice. Still, you and your ilk will no doubt resolve that one as well, given time. How gracious of you to make exception if you deem what I am doing to be justifiable but wish to ban those parts of my life that your small mind considers unacceptable.

HJ's CR-V review - Manatee
Rather well put Mark.

HJ's CR-V review - nicholas
HJ's CR-V review - Adam {P}
Right - I'm going to settle this once and for all. Now there are far more intelligent people than me in the Back Room - in fact, I'd venture that I am in fact the most stupid person on here. However,

4x4's for the majority are unnecessary...but, and get this, who cares? It's not your car is it? So dont' buy one. I may disagree with my next door neighbour owning a Ford F350 or X5 (he doesn't) which is why I don't have one. It's none of my business.

The day we start telling people what to buy is the day everything gets out of hand. It won't be long before measly 2.0 Mondeo's are deemed wasteful.

My suggestion? Capital punishment for anyone starting another 4x4 thread.

;-)
--
Adam
>>My suggestion? Capital punishment for anyone starting another 4x4 thread

Cripes, this'll be my last then. :-)
--
Lee
Having a Fabialous time.
Now, what was that Utopian society, founded on 'from each according to his ability, to each according to his needs' (or similar), that gave us those ecological pinnacles the Lada and the Trabant?
HJ's CR-V review - keo-the-dog
i smoke i accept it is anti-social i drink not good for me but only anti-social if i get drunk i own a 4x4 i also own vans i use these vehicles for my pleasure not always business i regularly drive one of my vans about like you would your micra or whatever no passengers no goods i do this because i enjoy it i like driving big vehicles i love driving my 4x4 i pay insurance expensive too i pay tax lots of it but you dont like it so now i cant do it ok i will now sell them all to other people mmmm i still need transport i know ill buy one of those friendly vehices ... anyone know where i can buy a bus like stated elsewhere its a free ...ish country i can drive whatever i like and so can you , you may not like what i drive but there again would i like what you drive example i dont like bmw's does that mean they should be banned oh alright then lets ban bmw's oh and all small economic sensible cars ...cheers...keo
Simple stuff then.

Car driving along road. Someone misjudges a junction and hits it side on.

1) It's hit by a 4x4 / outsized car
Its extra mass and energy, combined with the relatively high point of impact results in serious injury to a child in the back of the car.

2) It's hit by a car
Although the child is still injured, the injuries are less severe as there is less energy and the impact point is lower.

If you're really lucky the car stops in time as the stopping distance is shorter and there's no impact.

Now swap "the child" for "your child".

Choose your TV, clothes, shoes, food or hair gel as you please. I don't care and it doesn't matter.

Accept my right to think anyone driving these things is an idiot (to quote Ken), just as I respect your right to drive it.
--
Lee
Having a Fabialous time.
HJ's CR-V review - Adam {P}
Fair point. You don't have to hang today then Lee.

:-)
--
Adam
HJ's CR-V review - john deacon
all road vehicles are dangerous

the little old dear who pulls her fiesta out into a motorbike killing the bike rider is a million times worse than the average good driver in a 4 x 4

she will sadly only get 3 points and a slap on the wrist

and she sits at home tutting at those "idiots" in their 4 x 4's

sadly we live in a mad country where useless drivers are allowed to remain on the road if they fit a certain social profile, and the magistrates take a sympathetic view

if i were to start getting upset, it wouldnt be abloiut 4 x 4 drivers, it would be about the mass of useless drivers out there, and nothing is done but useless mindless speed campaigns which dont affect road casulties

all road vehicles are dangerous

>>the little old dear who pulls her fiesta out into a motorbike killing the bike rider is a >>million times worse than the average >>good driver in a 4 x 4

Almost as dangerous as the motorcyclist who slams into the little old lady as she pulls out -- because he was rounding a bend on the Kirby Lonsdale road at 130mph (case recorded by police).

Almost as dangerous as the 4 x 4 driver who tailgates her in his Kensingotn Tractor, bumber to bumper, on a winding Wiltshire track because she drives at a speed that allows her to stop within the distance she can see to be clear (happens to me frequently).

Does your brain have a special compartment for dreaming up stereotypes to fit whatever prejudiced argument you have in mind? And as anyone ever examined your driving style, or are you perfection itself?
HJ's CR-V review - john deacon
i am far from perfect

a little better than average driver, nothing exceptional, based on fairly impartial feedback, police/driving instreuctor friends etc

yea i stereotype i guess, probably less than most people though

and i am increasingly cheesed off with the brutal unfairness and ineffectiveness of the road policing and judicial system as it is applied in this country

this is a debating chamber of sorts, there is nothing wrong with a bit of controversy

as far as i am concerned there are some very dangerous groups of drivers, many of whom have proved how bad they are by KILLING someone, who are free to drive their new Fiesta to work or whatever, meanwhile the government dishes out speeding penalties to all of us

the world is truely mad
Accidents happen because we are all us -- including John Deacon and Badger -- human, and therefore fallible. It is invidious to point the finger at one particular group as the scapegoat. Not even the motorcyclists or 4 x 4 drivers I deliberately singled out to illustrate my point above.
HJ's CR-V review - tyro
This thread began with a distinction (TIC perhaps) between the placard-waving ignorant anti-4x4 brigade and the placard free, informed anti-4X4 brigade.

It has included a reference (from Nicholas)to "the way SUV drivers are derided" and a comment to the effect that *anyone* driving these things is an idiot. (Anyone? Really?)

Others, who have reservations about 4X4s, have acknowledged that there some people have good reason for driving them.

Is this the basic distinction between the ignorant and the informed? The ignorant placard wavers see a 4X4 and deride the driver as an idiot - the informed see a 4x4 and pass no judgement on the driver, but simply say "That is not an appropriate vehicle for my needs."
Fair summation tyro, well put.

>>(Anyone? Really?)
OK, you've got me. I was trying to stimulate the debate (a little!) but no-one bit at my foray into trolldom.

My last word on the subject in this thread.
--
Lee
Having a Fabialous time.
My last word on the subject in this thread

What kind of a troll are you, then?
The not very good type, I reckon!

--
Lee
Having a Fabialous time.
HJ's CR-V review - tack
To be frank, this particular thread gets on my wick at the moment. The subject of 4X4's obviously polarises views to the extent that any rational view put forward by someone which may allow some lee way to the 4X4 driver is derided by the "ignorant placard waver" (according to the "intelligent 4X4 driver")

The term "Chelsea Tractor" or "Kensington Tractor" does no favours to our impression of the mental faculties of the utterer. 4X4 vehicles are used all over the country, it is the preferred choice of a large number of people. Amen to the sort of freedom which allows you to go out and buy whatever vehicle you like. I fail to see why someone is an idiot for buying one. It is purely a choice.

I respect well thought out views propounded by some people on this site. I may not agree with them, but I respect them.

As for the others..........................
To be frank, this particular thread gets on my wick at the moment ... Amen to the sort of freedom . . .

Does your appeal for freedom include the freedom to get on your wick? And is no-one free to satirise the purchase of 4-wheel drive to counter wet leaves on the Brompton Road? Methinks he doth protest too much . . .
HJ's CR-V review - Dynamic Dave
The term "Chelsea Tractor" or "Kensington Tractor"

I believe the latest phrase is "mum truck"

No, the latest one would be moderated out.
HJ's CR-V review - P 2501
It is great to live in a free (relatively) society where we can do whatever work we want to do and spend our money freely. Everyone certainly does have the right to buy an enormous 4x4 and burn petrol at an astonishing rate.

The question of control of items available for public use depends on their relative danger. How potentially dangerous is something, and does this level of danger mean this particular item should be banned?

Handguns used to be quite freely available legally.After some horrible tragedies they were considered too dangerous for society and were banned.

Same thing with Pit Bull Terriers.A few bad ones and their perceived risk becomes too high and they are gone.(most of them).

But are 4x4s really in the same category as items like these? is the danger really that high? I don't think it is - i believe that 4x4s make our roads slightly more dangerous but that risk is acceptable.I know noone has mentioned banning 4x4s,but that is what some posters seem to be hinting at.

FWIW i don't like 4x4s or the way some are driven, but i can't and won't tell someone that their choice of car is wrong and represents a serious danger to the public.
i can't and won't tell someone that their choice of car is wrong

Of course not, but that should not be a pretext for inhibiting perfectly valid points of view on the logic -- or otherwise --of vehicle design and marketing.
Please Sir, May I buy a Kia Sorento? Only 2 wheel drive on the XE with 4x4 selected manually and 2 wheel drive on the XS with 4x4 selected electronically when conditions dictate. Please Please.

VVBR........M...........PLEASE
HJ's CR-V review - Aprilia
OH Dear, another 4x4 thread.....

I've worked on the development of systems for 4x4's (Rover's Project Storm and Project Thunder, for those of you 'in the know') - I've also driven most types of 4x4, including abomonations like the Frontera.

For the most part the growth in the 4x4 market represents a retrograde step in automotive technology. They have higher Centre of Gravity, Roll Centre and Pitch Centre. Inferior handling and braking. They are not particularly safer for the occupants (they tend to roll over) and the concentration of mass high-up means that they cause more severe damage in a collision with other passenger cars. They are exempt from most passenger car type approval legislation (which is good for them - because they mostly wouldn't pass). Moreover they are not particularly space efficient or fuel efficient.

The 4x4 is an answer to a specific problem - a problem which most people don't have. They do, however, create problems for other people. Each morning I drop my daughter off at school, which is in a narrow rural road. Every morning I see the same 'fleet' of 4x4's with mothers struggling to negotiate each other and parked cars. Peering forward from their seats trying to figure out where the extremities of their vehicles are. I keep well back and wait while they 'sort themselves out' - but I guess this little circus adds 5-10 minutes to my journey each day. These mothers would do us (and themselves) a favour if they bought cars which they felt more confident in driving.

The big growth in 4x4's comes from the US, where the auto companies used the fact that 4x4's don't come under CAFE regulations to make vehicles with a higher profit margin and where they didn't traditionally compete head-on with the Far East (although that is obviously changing).

The writing is on the wall for 4x4's though. New car design guidelines (relating to pedestrian impact safety) are coming in next year - they will impact heavily on 4x4 design. Furthermore there are signs that in the US and Europe there will be a move to bring 4x4's into the passenger car approval regime. Of course, this could prompt some people to move up to purchasing a truck. Maybe in a few years we'll see kids stepping out of Scania tractor units outside the school gates!
Amen to that. Thank you for that beacon of common sense and informed comment, Aprilia.
Hallejujah, brother!
I think I'm not explaining my point of view very well.

There may or may not be good and valid reasons why I should or should not have a 4x4. This may or may not be pollution, obstruction, danger to pedestrians, etc. etc. etc. Those factors may determine whether or not I should or should not have a 4x4 and whether or not it is legal for me to do so.

Fine. No problem. I may not agree, but those are facts which can be assessed, discussed and proven or not.

However, the fact that I don't need one, doesn't neccessarily mean I can't have one. The fact that you don't like them, doesn't neccessarily mean I can't have one. The fact that you think I shouldn't have one, doesn't neccessarily mean I can't have one. "need" or "want" are perfectly justifiable reasons for having something. They may be outweighed by the common good or the inherent or involved risks and therefore I still may not be allowed to have one. However "not needing" is never a justification for removal per se.

So, anytime you're saying "people shouldn't have a 4x4 because they kill pedestrians" then we have something to talk about. Anytime you're saying you wouldn't have one because you don't like them, we can still talk.

But as soon as you move to "other people shouldn't be allowed to have 4x4s because I don't like them and don't want to have one" then we're going to clash.

There is too much of a culture emerging in this country of "I don't want to so you shouldn't be allowed to". And it is offensive.
HJ's CR-V review - ratty
I agree with all of these reasons not to have a 4x4..... but how else do (those who wish to) make such a display of their wealth (better if petrol rather than diesel) and their warrior/macho attributes too (the bigger and more aggressive design the better). Mercs and Ferrari's may be better vehicles but do they look hard enough?
>Mercs and Ferrari's may be better vehicles but do they look hard enough?

No they don't. They are designed for running away very fast and their owners are therefore cowards.
And that is the type of worthless, clever-clever contibution which doesn't help resolve anything.
HJ's CR-V review - ratty
And that is the type of worthless, clever-clever contibution which doesn't
help resolve anything.

Mark, do you not think that for many purchasers the image of a vehicle is most important. There have been long discussions on what gives the right image in this forum.
After all the watch may be fake, not many can tell a high quality suit, but you must be a somebody if you drive a new petrol range rover and will therefore get the client's business/girlfriend/respect etc.
Ratty,

Your second note has some value, your first seemed just silly.

I have to say that the image isn't a bith which concerns me, although I am sure that you're right in many cases.

Rather than image, I'm sure that perception is important. i.e. I perceive that a 4x4 is safer/more dangerous than a Mondeo (which may or may not be true.

However, even if it is image, and even if that is not my way, I don't see it is relevant to the central point of whether people should have them or not.
HJ's CR-V review - ratty
Mark,

Agreed, image is not relevant to the point whether or not people should have them or not. What I was trying to say was that although many people will judge by the technical merits of a vehicle for the job to be done (inc. myself), there are also many who operate on a completely different image/status type level.

In other cultures/times there was great prestige accorded to those who had the best ostrich feather in their head-wear, or the best tulips (some bulbs costing more than a house at that time). Such things may seem absurd to us now but in a few hundred years our car habits of today may seem ridiculous too.
HJ's CR-V review - Hugo {P}
Mark,

You've got mail on a different subject.

H
There are plenty of ways to display wealth for those who wish to. I accept there are some people out there that use it purely to support an image. Well if that's their choice, good luck to them provided they drive it properly and are properly insured, taxed etc in case they have an accident.

4 x 4 ownership is not always one of them. I have one because I chose it above other vehicles I could afford.

Also, to my knowledge, A car has never caused an accident. It's the person driving it or in charge of it that's always the issue.

To this end 4 x 4s are perfectly safe so long as they are driven safely. If they do less MPG then that's more tax etc we pay.

I find it ironic that a motoring forum often finds itself hosting anti 4 x 4 comments on the basis of 'I don't like them thereby you shouldn't have one'. This site is supposed to me pro responsible motoring and was not created to host prejudiced comments against sectors of the motoring public.

Hugo
Absolutely.

Please note that I am NOT saying "4 x 4 drivers are agressive bullies". I am, however, saying that, for those drivers who want to rely on aggression and intimidation, the 4 x 4 seems all too often the weapon of choice. Often, as I have repeatedly found in Wiltshire lanes, the London-based 4 x 4 is driven in the countryside by someone who has brought his Hyde Park Corner tactics with him.

This is the 4 x 4's image problem, and it is unrealistic to blame it on the victims of those for whom -- and I know they are not in the majority -- these vehicles are the automotive equivalent of a tattoo.

The Iron Age Wiltshire Ridgeway is now in many places impassable to walkers or cyclists, following visits by 4 x 4 mud-pluggers. Is it 'anti 4 x 4' to deplore this? Is it 'placard waving' to point to what these drivers do to their own image?
HJ's CR-V review - tack
Aggressive? Bullying? Hyde Park corner attitude?

Hold on, is it a Mum Truck? or a battle wagon? is it both? a style statement? Are Mums (Linda McCartney clad) aggressively careening around Hyde Park corner on their way to the country after they have dropped their kids off to school?

Doesn't matter what point one may put forward, along comes a general sweeping statement from out of the sky to justify your arguments.
HJ's CR-V review - Chris7
As someone who purchased a brand new CRV Sport Auto a year ago, I can only tell you it has been the best car I have ever had. It is true to say it is the first "brand new" I have ever purchased, and in the end it came down to the CRV and Rav4,I went for the CRV from Bob Gerard and never once regreted it. If I won the lottery tomorrow, I would buy another one, only this time I would buy an Executive with the leather and Sat Nav, thats how good I think they are.
Best Regards to you all. Chris.
Long may you continue to enjoy it, Chris.
It all comes down to responsible ownership at the end of the day.

The only exeption to this rule is if you can't avoid the 4 x 4 with its 18 inch multi terrain tyres doing damage to the road that a car wouldn't do, though this is very rare, and would in any case be solved with proper highway maintenace.

H
see you are jealouse
HJ's CR-V review - tyro
For the most part the growth in the 4x4 market represents
a retrograde step in automotive technology. They have higher Centre
of Gravity, Roll Centre and Pitch Centre. Inferior handling and
braking. They are not particularly safer for the occupants (they
tend to roll over) and the concentration of mass high-up means
that they cause more severe damage in a collision with other
passenger cars.

Aprilia

I've a question, I'd appreciate your opinion on. To what extent are these things true of MPVs as well?
Well here I am back from my drive in my Outback, 407miles/15.4 gallons of unleaded. My my what a menace to the environment I am. Of course I should have gone on the train but I would only now be starting my return journey: or by bus but I would barely have arrived at my destination. There is always a cheap airline, how economical is that? No you dissenters and moaning minnies The art of a happy and fulfilling life is to live and let live. Right I'm off to the pub.
I posted earlier on this thread, have I missed something, I watch the news every day and I have a daily paper delivered, where exactly are all the pictures of 4x4's laying on their sides? I like the CRV because I can get in and out without bending, I am 6-2" and 58. I feel safer. There is plenty of room for me, the wife, daughter and granddaughter. Behind us is plenty of room for pram, bags etc, and plenty of room between the back seat and back door, which was another major reason on me buying a CRV. When I see children sitting in seven seaters, the Ka and Minis to name but a few, and to see their heads almost touching the back window, I am frightened to imagine what would happen in a serious rear shunt. I can only repeat that not only do I feel safer, I feel that my whole family are safer, if that is wrong, then so be it, I can live with that.
Regards to you all Chris.
I posted earlier on this thread, have I missed something, I
watch the news every day and I have a daily paper
delivered, where exactly are all the pictures of 4x4's laying on
their sides?

I think Aprilia's point is that they are inherently less stable, because of the high centre of gravity, and are more likely to overturn. Because of the high centre of gravity, they also tend to do more damage to other vehicles when involved in collisions, so whilst you might feeler safer in one, people in ordinary saloons, etc, would be more likely to suffer serious injuries if involved in a collision with such a vehicle.
Yes high centre of gravity.No you wont see to many on their sides because most of us understand the responsibilities of driving a big truck and incidently for the gas gussling anti forum my 2.5 diesel does over 30mpg (not bad for a 2.5t lump)I can pull you out of the crap where you can't move (look at last weeks press 4x4 drivers requested to help the police rescue stranded drivers on Bodmin Moor.I can go places that you can't without turning over despight my high centre of gravity.I can rescue your child from a life or death situation because an ordinary sallon couldn't get there.If it was your child and I had the only vehicle for the job,WOULD YOU BE SO ANTI THEN

JOE
>Outback, 407miles/15.4 gallons of unleaded.

You may think that's fine, but others don't. I would think I had a serious fuel leak with figures like that,
OK ChrisR. Please be good enough to let us all know what fuel consumption you WOULD consider fine, then perhaps you can oblige everyone else to drive the 'correct' type of car at the correct speed to achieve your perceived nirvana. Naturally I would ignore you.
Well obviously the rational thing is to use as little as possible for the job we want to do--waste is inefficient and stupid--but we are not always rational beings. As PhilW says below, almost any car on the road will manage 407 miles on 15 gallons; I'd add that most will do a whole lot more. On that criterion you actually are more of a menace to the environment than most other drivers on the road. Whether you care is another matter, but a growing number of people do. Ironically enough it is those people who will put pressure on manufacturers to make better, more efficient engines, not people like you, so you'll have something to thank them for in the future, no doubt. Actually I almost bought a Legacy a few of years ago and really like the Outback, but the fuel consumption seemed like a backward step.
Well obviously the rational thing is to use as little as
possible for the job we want to do--waste is inefficient and
stupid--but we are not always rational beings. As PhilW says below,
almost any car on the road will manage 407 miles on
15 gallons; I'd add that most will do a whole lot
more. On that criterion you actually are more of a menace
to the environment than most other drivers on the road. Whether
you care is another matter, but a growing number of people
do. Ironically enough it is those people who will put pressure
on manufacturers to make better, more efficient engines, not people like
you, so you'll have something to thank them for in the
future, no doubt. Actually I almost bought a Legacy a few
of years ago and really like the Outback, but the fuel
consumption seemed like a backward step.

My volvo 850 2.5 glt. Between 23-26 mpg depending on journey type. Rarely driven hard. These size/type of petrol cars only do this m.p.g. There is no quick fix, but for those out there that still poo poo diesel then I suggest they get their backsides in gear and try one. My 170 bhp volvo just can't hack it against the equivalent diesel.

vvbr..........M.
t81,

Don't want to rain on your parade, but the Outback is little more than an estate on tip toes. It's too puny to be considered a proper 4x4.

Laughs to self at good troll-like comment.

It'll be my last, honest.

-- Lee Having a Fabialous time.
The Outback is a rubbish off roader because it is not intended for that purpose. It is however good at surviving the atrocious state of many of our roads including the man made horrors. As a matter of interest I test drove three other makes of two wheel drive cars before I plumped for the subaru, the final decider was the obvious superior build quality of the car. My ultimate choice would have been a MB 320 diesel but I could'nt afford one and as I tend to keep my cars for at least ten years I like to start with new.
Well from what I hear about build quality and service you might have made a better choice with the Scooby than an MB for a long term relationship...

If you think the roads are in a bad state in an "ordinary" car, you should try them in a MINI Cooper on 17s or 18s. You'll be on first name terms with your chiropractor and physio within a week, whereever you drive ;-)
Actualy my friend that is a scientificaly proven load of pink fluffy dice ,the larger the surface area,the less impact because it is spread over a larger area,did you know for instance that a challenger tank at 74 tonnes has less pounds per square inch ground preasure than a transit van.my pajero with its great big wheels probably has less ground preasure than a vauxhall corsa.It's all about distribution,not size.I'm sorry mate but at 30mph, the child would probably have less injuries.Being hit by a mondeo at that speed she would probably be dead.(Incidently I am a vehicle crash technician)

{swearing amended. Please read the forum policies at the top of the page. DD}
HJ's CR-V review - JamZ
Where I live (north yorkshire) there are more 4x4's than in other places (for perfectly good reasons, given the uneven surfaces on some of the minor roads round these parts). However, I have to point out that on my daily commute along the A59 to Harrogate, a large percentage of the bad driving I see on a daily basis (primarily inappropriate overtaking) is done by drivers of 4x4's. It seems that *some* 4x4 owners feel they would be almost invulnerable in a head-on crash situation and overtake where it is clearly very risky. I wonder if they'd be driving in the same fashion in a smart car.
There are bad roads in just about every part of the UK. It makes me wonder how we used to get about before the 4x4s became so popular.

I have sister-in-law who bought a CR-V because she moved, in her opinion, to a part of Lincolnshire where the roads weren't gritted in the winter. Actually, she lives right by the A52. Her daughter got a Cherokee at the same time but, fortunately, she now recognises her folly and has changed it.

If the principle to be accepted is ''if I want one, I will have one'', then, as Aprilia suggested earlier, that could apply to anything, no matter how big and impracticable. It makes it pointless having this kind of debate too.
HJ's CR-V review - nortones2
I'm puzzled about using a 4x4 as compensation for uneven roads, as distinct from uneven mud. The Vitara we followed today (across from Colne to Howarth) was bouncing along on the straighter bits, and driven rather cautiously round bends. I'd have thought a Citroen/Renault would be more manageable. Its the joggling, and lack of grip that their crude suspension causes on uneven surfaces that makes me wonder what they were thinking of, apart from fashion. A 4wd Subaru or even Panda would cope so much better and be able to make progress. No doubt the RR and BMW vehicles of this type are better compromises, but the low end SUV imitators seem to be hobbled, as road vehicles. Chacon a son gout, as they say as they overtake in the 2CV.
I for one would never be convinced that a CRV could be considered "big and impracticable" as compared to what? It is smaller than a lot of MPV's, and in crash tests it is better than most especially with regards to pedestrians. If it is pointless having this kind of debate, then it could be you are on the wrong website, this is a discussion site.
Regards Chris.
I for one would never be convinced that a CRV could
be considered "big and impracticable" as compared to what? It is
smaller than a lot of MPV's, and in crash tests it
is better than most especially with regards to pedestrians. If it
is pointless having this kind of debate, then it could be
you are on the wrong website, this is a discussion site.
Regards Chris.

I wasn't referring specifically to the CR-V. I was making reference to Aprilia's comment that maybe someone could be prompted into obtaining a truck. After all, the general trend in the US has been for SUVs to get bigger and bigger. Most, repeat most, 4x4s are bigger, heavier, less pedestrian friendly and thirstier than the average car.

If the answer to any criticism of anything at all is going to be ''it is a free country and I can have what I want'', then there is no point to any debate or discussion. We might as well all chuck our teddys out of the pram.

HJ's CR-V review - PhilW
"It makes it pointless having this kind of debate too."

This is the crux. When we get down to it, choice of car is personal and based on many factors, not least of which is image of the car and driver. Almost all the arguments above in favour of 4x4s can be countered (logically?). Rough roads - buy a 2CV, Room for 4 with space for luggage - buy a saloon with a big boot. Ability to do 407 miles on 15 gallons and beat the train and bus - buy any car. Get in and out with ease and seat daughter/wife/grandaughter and luggage - get a Multipla. Safety - well the new Laguna comes out pretty well etc, etc. Interestingly, there are only a couple of posts that mention the need for 4WD.
Nevertheless the 4x4 does have and give a certain image, people might prefer that image, prefer the "macho" looks, not mind the lack of economy etc and, lets be honest, not many of our judgements/choices are made on grounds of perfect logic and reasonableness (especially in the view of others!!) Why does anyone buy a beige car? Why does anyone buy a Citroen, why does anyone buy a diesel? (Oh damn, that's me). Why do I continue to live in a 4 bedroomed house with huge garden when the kids have left home? Why do women wear dresses and men wear trousers??
As someone said above - live and let live. Meanwhile I shall retire to the back door and smoke a little cigar (hope it hasn't been banned) and sip my wine. (Damned unreasonable of the wife to ban smoking in the house all those years ago - said it was unsafe for the kids)
HJ's CR-V review - patently
OK OK.

I drove for about 3 hours today, in three separate bursts. The roads concerned were 70% urban and 30% B roads. For half the time I was on my own and in the 330 coupe so I enjoyed myself. :-)

The 3 coupe only gets about 25 mpg so is equally "evil" if you regard most 4x4 as irresponsible guzzlers.

Today I had one near accident. Just one, but very near. I was approaching a roundabout with two exits, a left fork at about 11 o'clock and a right fork at about 2 o'clock. There are two lanes on the approach; the left lane is marked with a huge great arrow pointing left, likewise for the right lane except pointing right. So only a moron could get that one wrong.

Now, the nice lady in the dashboard asked me to turn right. So I went for the right hand lane, alongside a single decker bus that was not indicating; acceptable if he's going for 11 o'clock as it's nearly straight on. The oncoming traffic cleared, so we both went.

You can guess, can't you. The bus turned right. No indication (I thought I was in the BMW??). It swept straight into the lane I was about to go for, without warning and without looking. Had I not stopped sharpish then there would have been a squashed BMW on the roundabout (no cheers, please).

Naturally, the bus was empty.

So don't give me this rubbish about irresponsible cars being a waste and/or dangerous. That bus was a complete waste of every fluid ounce of fuel it used; burning that achieved nothing as it took no-one anywhere. And the only incident today in which I nearly came to harm was caused not by any of the 4x4s that I passed but by a plain old simple idiot at the wheel.

And idiots are found behind the wheel of every type of vehicle, even politically correct ones. They are not exclusive to one sort.
Naturally, the bus was empty.
So don't give me this rubbish about irresponsible cars being a
waste and/or dangerous. That bus was a complete waste of
every fluid ounce of fuel it used; burning that achieved nothing
as it took no-one anywhere.

Not excusing the bad driving, has it not occurred to you that there might have a been a perfectly valid reason why the bus was empty? Buses do sometimes have to make journeys without carrying any passengers.
HJ's CR-V review - tack
Perhaps because there are (in your own words) more 4x4 drivers there than on other parts of the country is the reason why you see more bad 4x4 driving? If they had other cars, would they be better?
HJ's CR-V review - Dalglish
citroenian - your trolling expedition will end here.

why ? - because whenever i have posted on this subject, it has usually been the last word and has brought all the trolls to a stop. (you know, it is like that saying that threads end when someone mentions the second world war and name of the german leader at the time ).

and my view that do this ? - well, i ask just one question of all those environmentalists who go on about fuel wastage:
"just suppose that the uk stops emitting carbon dioxide as of now, immediately, to a zero level, zilch, nothing, wiped out by a masive natural catastrophe, or whatever. what will be the impact on the world of that reduction in fuel consumption and zero emissions?"
and the answer - zilch, zero, as if we never even existed.
so go on, pollute all you like, it has no bearing on the future of the world.

p.s. - i am surprised tht none of the socialists has yet started a thread on taxing shell for its record profits. they were demanding this in interviews on the media, and conveniently forgetting that if the same company were to be loss-making, these socialists would not be clamouring to give that company any aid.

{troll mode off}
your trolling expedition will end here

Thanks for the direction, lot of confidence there with such poor arguments.

If you took the time to read my posts, you'd realise I've not mentioned pedestrians. I've not mentioned the fuel. I've not argued with the legality of the choice. I've concentrated on one point.

If you choose to drive a large vehicle that is beyond any reasonable needs you run the risk of causing more injury if you hit someone (in car) who hasn't taken a similar selfish approach.

I can't and won't argue that you shouldn't be able to drive one of these things. Heck, I could very easily walk into a showroom and drive one away tomorrow. It's a free country. I don't because for the life I lead, I don't need one and I really don't want the extra guilt should an accident happen.

HJ's CR-V review - PhilW
"the last word "

Not quite!
If you wiped out every human being on earth it would only reduce CO2 emissions by 3% since 97% is naturally produced.
So, we have had zero effect on the world's environment have we? I don't think so. Human activity has not been detrimental to large tracts of this planet? I don't think so.
HJ's CR-V review - Retro
Whats next after 4wds.

Irresponsible people with houses that have more rooms than people?

The state deciding where we should spend our money as we are spending it on the wrong things and can't be trusted?

I could go on and on but you get my drift.

I think taxation via using more fuel, higher purchase cost when new, higher servicing costs (with a proportion going back into the system, higher company car tax etc is punishing bigger car owners enough.

It is their dollar, if they want to spend on a 4x4 good luck to them.

HJ's CR-V review - PhilW
"we have had zero effect on the world's environment have we?"

Didn't say that - just that we only have 3% effect on CO2 production. And of that motor vehicles only about 10% of the 3%. So "gas guzzling" 4x4s have very little effect on CO2 levels. Other effects I did not mention - like politicians flying from all over the world to Kyoto in "private" planes to discuss limiting CO2 production.
HJ's CR-V review - Malcolm_L
I'd be interested in your source for these statistics.
I'm finding it hard to believe that we only contribute 3% CO2 by using god knows how many million barrels of oil per day, not to mention the coal and gas fired power stations.

Must be some other factors at work here, the eco-system must be incredibly finely tuned to suggest that an 3% additional contribution of CO2 is causing the current problems?
The generally accepted figure for CO2 increase since the beginning of the industrial revolution is 30%. One could argue that this isn't totally due to human activity, of course (as some do). At the same time, the world's forests have diminished considerably, so reducing their capacity to absorb increases in CO2. It is the combined effect of all human activity that is going to do the damage (and is doing damage now). I agree that cars are not all of the problem, just part of it.
HJ's CR-V review - Vin {P}
Forests don't absorb Greenhouse gases. They do as they grow, but a mature forest produces more greenhouse gas than it absorbs. Fallen trees rot, releasing methane (major GG) and overall the effect is to increase GG rather than reduce.

This is just one example of the utter tripe peddled by the environmentalists.

Also, where do people get the idea that the world is less forested than before? In 1950 around 29% of the Earth's surface was forested. Now it's around 31%. Not what 'they' would have you believe.

The reason motoring is not a major percentage of greenhouse gas emissions is that the majority comes from:
Rotting vegetable matter - Methane
Paddy fields - methane
Animal Respiration - CO2 (think of the biomass of insects, etc)
House heating - Slap a 600% tax on household gas!
Inefficient wood fires in the third world - CO2
Cow's backsides - methane
etc, etc.

In summary, don't believe everything you are told by Greenpeace or FoE. They have a vested (fund raising) interest in keeping you scared.

V
And another point - Who says global warming is bad?

We hear that vast tracts of the planet will become worse places to live. We don't hear that Siberia will become a major grain growing area.

We hear that many more people in the UK will die of heatstroke. We don't hear that many fewer will die in cold winters.

We are told the icecaps will go. Well, in geological terms we are in an ice age. There have been long periods when the Earth had no ice caps. We are also long overdue another advance of the ice sheets.

We are told the UK will be devastated if the temperature increases. Well, in Roman times, the UK was a Red Wine growing area. They seemed to survive OK.

By the way, I should stress that I believe global warming will trun out to be bunk. There's evidence that it's the Sun's heat output that has increased in recent years rather than anything we have done (climate modelling assumes the Sun to be invariable).

Don't panic.

V
So the findings of the conference on climate change, that concluded in Exeter yesterday, are bunk are they? Depends on what you want to believe, I suppose. There is recent evidence of ever increasing acidification of the world's oceans and seas, owing to increasing absorption of CO2, which would have a catastrophic effect on marine species.

Whatever aspect of human activity one looks at, it is collectively producing an increasing effect on our environment. The scale of the human population of the world is not comparable with any that has existed before, and it's effect on the enviroment can only increase. Unfortunately, the overall effect is unlikely to be beneficial.

As for vested interests, well, that applies to the sceptics too. As one climatologist recently said, ''find me a scientist who denies the link between the actions of man and the changes in the climate, and I'll find you money from the oil, gas and energy companies''. Much as used to happen with the tobacco companies and lung cancer.

"Depends on what you want to believe, I suppose." Depends on whether you look at the facts behind the hype. Why do climatologists always take the upper extreme of any range of guesses about the future?

"Unfortunately, the overall effect is unlikely to be beneficial" Why? On what basis do you make the statement? What facts are behind it?

"As one climatologist recently said.." Well, that MUST make it true. You seem happy to take their statements at face value.

Read "The Skeptical Environmentalist" by Bjorn Lomborg. Statistics professor, one time-member of Greenpeace (drummed out after questioning the "truth" that Greenpeace spreads). I have; all 200 pages of it. Then tell me about vested interests and fake science. He points out that plain simple old economics will stop us putting CO2 into the atmosphere. Solar power will oust fossil fuels in around 30-35 years. Because of grand government plans? No, because it'll be cheaper. End of problem.

V
for "200 pages" read "2000 pages"

V
Firstly, the fact is that non-specialists are actually very bad at making qualitative value judgements about the work of specialists. Non-specialists of the "I read a book once" kind tend to over-estimate their level of understanding of a given subject quite significantly. Secondly humans are very bad at assessing the importance of abstracts, including abstract threats from sources that are not immediate to them; we're simply not evolved to do that. The first is the reason why all human societies have groups of specialists. The second is why they disagree.

Of course specialists know that non-specialists in their subject are rubbish at it--it's very, very obvious to them--so they write populist books that seem extremely persuasive to those non-specialists and win lots of admirers. But note, those admirers are almost entirely ignorant of the subject in question. Curiously among his peers, who do understand what he's talking about, Lomburg is considered a fool.
This week's scare story; Co2 labsorption by the oceans is acidifying the seas, "in 35 to 70 years time there will be no live coral" this last stated as a fact by some specialist. Well we'll see. Just about all these people have some axe to grind, usually to do with funding their pet theory.
The coral is already disappearing. The problem with the do nothing and wait and see approach, is that it will generally be too late for preventative action.
"The coral is already disappearing"

CO2 or general pollution?

Facts, please.

V
Wow, what a specious argument:

"Non-specialists of the "I read a book once" kind tend to over-estimate their level of understanding of a given subject quite significantly." On what basis do you make that statement?

"But note, those admirers are almost entirely ignorant of the subject in question." On what basis do you make that statement?

"Curiously among his peers, who do understand what he's talking about, Lomburg is considered a fool."

Facts, please. Your implication (note that this is my reading of what you're saying, and I admit it, though why else would you say it) is that most of his peers think he is a fool. On what basis do you make that statement?

V

Wow, what a specious argument:
"Non-specialists of the "I read a book once" kind tend to
over-estimate their level of understanding of a given subject quite significantly."
On what basis do you make that statement?

My own experience as an expert having to listen to the twaddle spouted about my area of expertise by non-experts. Everyone will have this experience, from brickies to barristers.
"But note, those admirers are almost entirely ignorant of the subject
in question." On what basis do you make that statement?

It's obvious. Reading a few books about a subject in your spare time makes you less of an expert, and therefore more ignorant, than someone who studies a subject full-time for twenty years.
"Curiously among his peers, who do understand what he's talking about,
Lomburg is considered a fool."

There was a big fuss about him a few years ago. Wasn't his science rubbished as "fraudulent" by one of the Danish science organizations? They weren't alone as I recall. Not the data of course, but his conclusions from it and the scientific basis of those conclusions. If I recall at the point he published the book he had published just one peer-reviewed paper in a major scientific journal. Not an impressive record.

Good at self-publicity though, I'll give him that.
"Unfortunately, the overall effect is unlikely to be beneficial" Why?
On what basis do you make the statement? What
facts are behind it?

Current levels of habitat destruction, they are facts are behind it. Or do you deny that they have taken place and are continuing to take place. It is beneficial to lose the world's rainforests at the rate they are going, for example. Countless species at the point of extinction, that is beneficial?

All of this is going on around you in the world but you are prepared to believe what is written in 200 pages. One doesn't have to be an expert to notice the obvious.
Before I get questioned over my grammar, I have missed question marks from the end of the second and third sentences.
HJ's CR-V review - Malcolm_L
Agree about looking around and seeing what is happening and it isn't good.

Trouble is both sides have their own agenda and associated hyperbole, this isn't helped by supposedly solid theories being debunked (Rainforests are the lungs of the world, etc).

Car emissions is another, it's good that car emissions are getting cleaner all the time, however even with perfect combustion a given amount of fuel will create a given amount of CO2, the only way to produce less CO2 is to use less fuel.
Take a look at the growth curve for transport usage globally and take a deep breath.

"Current levels of habitat destruction, they are facts are behind it. Or do you deny that they have taken place and are continuing to take place. It is beneficial to lose the world's rainforests at the rate they are going, for example. Countless species at the point of extinction, that is beneficial?"

Not "Countless species" at all, possibly 0.7% may disappear in the worst possible of all cases.

"All of this is going on around you in the world but you are prepared to believe what is written in 200 pages."

"One doesn't have to be an expert to notice the obvious."

So, in what way have you "noticed" the "obvious" fact that we are destroying the worlds forests? Since 1950, forestation has increased.

The obvious fact that we're running out of oil (in the 70's I was told we'd run out by 2000). Motoring link.

Or the obvious fact that all the topsoil on earth is being washed away (all the "facts" you hear are based upon a study of a single Belgian field that have been extrapolated to the world's landmasses).

Remember the Shell Brent Spar platform that Greenpeace shouted about a few years ago - contained "hundreds of tons" of waste? Greenpeace finally admitted (long afterwards) that it contained a few kilos.

I'm not saying I'm right; just that you should be sure of facts before you state them as obvious.

V

Most of us think we are right, none of us knows that we are; those that utter as fact statements which are merely theories weaken their case. Take the coral theory, nobody knows if and when it will all die but to state that it will all be dead in 35 to 70 years is obviously a guess. When I was a lot younger the scientific consensus was that the earth was starting the next ice age, some very scary theories were expounded but most of the scientists who iterated these 'facts' are now dead; they had their moment of fame and pouf, gone. Now we are reliably told the earth is heating up to the point of no return and will end up like Venus. Hey ho it will all be academic when the sun has a hiccough.
HJ's CR-V review - mjm
Cheer up everybody, the weekend is here.
All experts are wrong!
In 1976 we were told to bath with a friend, it was never going to rain again!
Then we were going to run out of oil.(This has happened several times in my motoring life.)
Then we get told it will never stop raining and we will need 4x4 boats.
If you are concerned about doing your bit, then don't drive or do drive, whichever you think your bit is.
If every football match was televised and live attendance banned, think of the environmental saving in fossil fuel, just the commentators hot air then.
Just thank whoever that we have the freedom to live and think for ourselves in our society!
Yep, it's Friday and we've resolved nothing here. Despite this being my most successful thread ever in terms of posts made I think we should just move on and find something else to fall out over next week.

What say we all head off to Ian Cook's virtual pub and have a good night on the Karaoke? Seeing as it's virtual beer, I'll get the first round in.

Mine's one of the last pints of virtual Boddingtons brewed in Manchester before they move it over to Wales. I ask you.....wonder if they'll take the Boddingtons chimney with them too?

Have a good weekend
HJ's CR-V review - PhilW
"one of the last pints of virtual Boddingtons brewed in Manchester before they move it over to Wales."

NOOOOOOOOOOoooooo!....surely not?
Karaoke arrrggghhh.
"One doesn't have to be an expert to notice the obvious."
So, in what way have you "noticed" the "obvious" fact that
we are destroying the worlds forests? Since 1950, forestation has
increased.
I'm not saying I'm right; just that you should be sure
of facts before you state them as obvious.
V

I was specifically referring to the rainforests, as they contain the most valuable resources of any forests and the most diverse species. It is a pretty fragile ecosystem and will probably never be replaced. We are not even sure we know of all of the species in the rainforests. Whichever way one looks at it, as far as the rainforests are concerned, it is pretty obvious habitat destruction on a grand scale.
Not "Countless species" at all, possibly 0.7% may disappear in the
worst possible of all cases.

BTW, 0.7% of a very big number is a lot of species. How many species of plants and animals do you believe there are? Over what period of time is the 0.7% projected? As nobody is sure of the total number of species of plants and animals in existence today, I would say that we are losing countless numbers. Some current estimates are that between 25,000 and 50,000 species disappear every year. Of course you will probably say that these figures are not to be trusted.

a little more motoring oriented please.
a little more motoring oriented please.

I was just about to say, despite my afection for all things beer :)
HJ's CR-V review - PhilW
It's all very confusing because as we say that species are becoming extinct (can this all be blamed on me driving my car to work? - I'm beginning to feel very guilty)we are also discovering quite a few as well.
"about 10,000 new species are identified annually, it could take another four centuries to identify the rest, if they survive that long. Insects are the most abundant and successful animals on Earth."
While
"The Harvard biologist EO Wilson predicted in his book The Future of Life that half of all species will suffer extinction in 50 years if current land use patterns continue." (Does that include man??)
news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/1949109.stm

Just a quick Google under "new species" gives 100,000 references including new ape, new whale, new shark, even new butterfly in Britain, new snake in Wales, new centipede in Central Park.
Trouble is, whatever you believe, you can find some scientist, some book and 100,000 references on the internet to confirm it. You might even find some state in the US that will make it state education policy - creationism anyone? Fundamentalism anyone? Survival of the fittest? Noah's Ark must have been one heck of a boat.
One of the greatest problems is of course that the vast majority of the earth's population has no idea whatsoever that its actions could possibly harm the environment and even if they did they could do nothing about it because they are merely concerned with survival. Try stopping the average African/Amazonian from cutting down trees when it is his/her only means of cooking a meal that barely keeps them alive (or not). They also would not give a fig (if they had one) about killing the last wild animal on earth if it gave them a square meal.
What annoys me about the Kyoto agreement is that the $75 billion dollars a year (?) spent on trying to cut our CO2 etc emissions would actually be enough to ensure that every one on earth had clean water and a decent diet - now that would be worthwhile.
Of course, what I say might be totally wrong because I read the wrong book..........

HJ's CR-V review - Retro
1) It seems to me that all the longest threads come from an Honest John car review.

2) Can someone disprove my theory that scientists whos funding is being reviewed, coming to an end or in the balance come up with the wildest and scariest theories?

I can remember thinking I had better buy a warm house due to the coming ice age and now I've got to get a veranda and some nice sunglasses sorted out. Very confusing.
I would be delighted if the Audi A6 Avant road test brought a similar response.

If there any of the folks at Audi who design or make the gearboxes and associated mechanisms, then they might be tempted :)

But the Audi test lacks both a questionable assertion on fuel and safety and a provocative swipe at a swathe of readers, so I reckon it's unlikely to get the blood going.
2) Can someone disprove my theory that scientists whos funding is
being reviewed, coming to an end or in the balance come
up with the wildest and scariest theories?

On the other hand I'd guess the scientists working for Shell and BP get paid a lot more than the ones working in universities, so if it really is all about money, why haven't the oil companies been able to buy silence?
What annoys me about the Kyoto agreement is that the $75
billion dollars a year (?) spent on trying to cut our
CO2 etc emissions would actually be enough to ensure that every
one on earth had clean water and a decent diet -
now that would be worthwhile.
Of course, what I say might be totally wrong because I
read the wrong book..........

For the cost of the Kyoto agreement, substitute the cost of the Iraq war. If the climate does become a serious issue, clean water and a decent diet would be a problem for a lot more of us.
HJ's CR-V review - J Bonington Jagworth
"substitute the cost of the Iraq war"

Indeed. Wouldn't it be nice if schools and hospitals had all the money they needed, and the military had to get theirs by voluntary subscription?

As the original topic was the CR-V, I noticed recently while driving behind one that the rear drive shafts looked incredibly spindly. Having watched last week's Scrapheap, where both vehicles broke rather chunkier metal, I wonder what happens when you go hill-climbing in the Honda..?
HJ's CR-V review - Gromit {P}
May I briefly play Devil's Advocate?

Much has been said here of those who don't "need" a 4x4 but choose to drive one. By "need", I presume we mean that the vehicle will be used to tow heavy trailers, cross muddy fields etc.

But there's a flip-side to consider: what about those people who need to do these things only occasionally? They have three options:

1) Drive an ordinary car, and hire a 4x4 when they need to make full use of its capabilities. Around these parts, no hire company will say 'sure, take our nice shiny new jeep and tow a ton of boat/horsebox/caravan/classic car behind it'. Those that do offer jeeps, don't have tow bars fitted to them!

2) Drive an ordinary car day-to-day and keep a 4x4 for when they need it. Paying road fund and insurance twice makes little economic sense. But what's more, more energy is consumed building any car than it will use in its entire lifetime.

So that leaves option 3: running a 4x4 as your only transport. Even if you only need its abilities occasionally, it can make more environmental sense than buying two cars.

On that basis, branding ALL 4x4 drivers as excessive is neither fair nor sensible, is it?

As for those 4x4 drivers who will never cross terrain more difficult than a speed bump or pull anything other than a Sloane Ranger, that's another argument already well covered here!
HJ's CR-V review - MoneyMart
"substitute the cost of the Iraq war"
Indeed. Wouldn't it be nice if schools and hospitals had all
the money they needed, and the military had to get theirs
by voluntary subscription?
As the original topic was the CR-V, I noticed recently while
driving behind one that the rear drive shafts looked incredibly spindly.
Having watched last week's Scrapheap, where both vehicles broke rather chunkier
metal, I wonder what happens when you go hill-climbing in the
Honda..?

The rear driveshafts are pretty much the same diameter as on any other car's driven axle...

Besides, a CR-V isn't meant for hill-climbing. Honda have never marketed it as a true off-roader. It's a "recreational vehicle" with 4 wheel drive capability when you need it - i.e. when it's snowing, or if you get stuck in mud off the beaten track. It's not designed to go on safari in!

The scrapheap one that snapped was where they'd welded two prop-shafts together as they were using two gearboxes...
HJ's CR-V review - MoneyMart
A CR-V is more economical than my previous VW Golf (V5).

It's got a safer pedestrian impact rating than my neighbours Fiesta.

It's shorter than my neighbours Mondeo Estate.

It's got lower emissions output than pretty much any older generation carb-engined car (i.e. Sierra, Cavalier, Escort, etc) and many modern exec cars (V6's etc)

HJ's CR-V review - Manatee
...and I've just ordered a diesel CR-V which I hope will do 40mpg, has Euro4 emissions, and a better NCAP rating for pedestrian safety than many conventional car - I'm actually feeling reasonably good about that!
HJ's CR-V review - J Bonington Jagworth
"The scrapheap one that snapped"

I thought they both broke? Still, they were pretty impressive considering the production timescale, and surprising evenly matched, considering one had tractor tyres and the other ordinary road wheels!