Window "security film" -- any good - mountainkat
After reading the topic about the "near carjacking" I've had a quick look around to see what could be effective in preventing or at least escaping from it.

Seems that about the only product available is window "security film" - which apparently takes sometime for a "scally" to breakthrough.

Anyone have any experience of this or have it fitted ??

thanks

MKAT
Something else which could be of use is the "keyguard" system, although probably a bit of a pain to use !!

www.alarm-acar.co.uk/accessories.html
Window - blue_haddock
I've seen a couple of demo's of this film and it does work well. Took about half a dozen hard hits with a baseball bat or brick to actually smash all the way through.

My only concern is what would happen if you had an accident and the fire brigade needed to get you out quick and the door was jammed shut.
Window - LukeMH
On the keygaurd note, my old (1996) peugeot 406 had a 4 digit keycode you had to enter to start the car. I thought it was a great feature, it basically made the car theft proof (the old steal your keys with a coathanger through the letterbox trick is useless if they don't know your code) Also carjacking would be impossible if you managed to turn the engine off while being carjacked.

But Peugeot obviously decided to cut costs and remove the device as my 1999 model doesnt have this :(

I asked Peugeot and the reason they told me it was removed, was because customers complained about the inconvenience of entering the code, well I know that is complete BS as the keycode was optional, you could program your key to send the code if you wanted so you didnt have to enter it manually

Luke
Window - tr7v8
Luke the reason that Peugeot dropped it was because it was unreliable. The flexing of the cable harness as the panel was dropped each time eventually went intermittant and then no start. Also imobiliser technology improved and it was no longer required.

Jim
Window - trancer
"My only concern is what would happen if you had an accident and the fire brigade needed to get you out quick and the door was jammed shut."

They would prise the doors open or cut the roof off. Never seen anyone extricated through a window and I can't imagine any fire department or paramedic unit ever doing so. They wouldn't be able to maintain spinal immobility when manueovering the person through a window opening, and protecting the spine is second only to protecting the heart.
Window - wantone
Sometimes people doo want to get out by the window?I think thats why people sell life hammers?
Window - trancer
Sure, people who are mobile can choose to get out anyway they want. The statement was regarding the Fire Department removing someone (presumably trapped) in a car. FWIW, I don't think that the Fire Department would let you escape via a window once they were on scene if they had reason to think you were injured in anyway.
Think myself that if I was to go for some "anti-hijacking" product it would probably be the "security film" as this, in theory anyway, prevents them getting to you - if you have to use the Keyguard system then they've obviously got your car