Picasso- Windcreen scratches - AlanFC
2002 Picasso owned from new 45K miles. Windcreen is scratched so badly (by the wipers) that it is dangerous and needs replacing.

Headlights,streetlights and sunlight creating internal reflections within the glass that result in a haze. When it rains it is even worse as the wipers cannot collect all the moisture as it nestles within the scratches.

Scratches are obviously caused by the wipers as they follow the arc. I've always had the car dealer serviced and agreed to changing blades when recommended etc. I never use ice scrapers. Only use autoglym glass cleaner. Resevoir always topped up with screenwash.

Do you think I'm being unreasonable in trying to claim a new/repaired screen under warranty. It is supposed to last the life of the car, right? Owned many cars all 2nd hand, never had a problem.

I suspect that the glass is inferior and not up to the job, anyone else had problems?
Picasso- Windcreen scratches - Schnitzel
Well, I doubt it would be wipers alone, it must be something that was regularly deposited on the screen when parked or something, do you live near a diamond mine?

If it was mine, I'd just look at your insurance paperwork and phone the number they give for glass replacement, they will want your business I'm sure, if not, wait a bit and hope it gets chipped, and no, don't do it with a hammer and centre punch, that's naughty.
Picasso- Windcreen scratches - Mondaywoe
My C5 has very slight scratches on the wiper arc if you look carefully.The wipers have also been quite noisy from new. I've just changed the blades for Bosch replacements and they seem much better - quieter and smooth.

The Bosch replacements don't have those 'spoiler' things on them and I've a hunch that they were the culprits.

Before fitting the new blades I cleaned the screen with Autoglym glass polish (great stuff!!)

Might be worth having a good look at the blades once you get your new screen. Check too that the arms are not twisted - ie blade meeting glass at wrong angle (experimental twists with a pliers on the actual arm can sometimes help)

Graeme
Picasso- Windcreen scratches - martint123
Park near a railway line or station?
Picasso- Windcreen scratches - Civic8
It isnt unreasonable to ask for a new screen.Though insurance may take a different stance on this..ie scratch in screen can be repaired..Personaly I dont think this type of repair is very helpfull..Tends to produce magnifying effect in area of screen you look through most..Most glass scratchs are the result of rubbish picked up or thrown at you from other drivers..Glass isnt inferior just not able to cope with stones/dirt/or grit from de icing gritters.If you need a replacement would think it may cost.As most insurers will pay for scratch may not for replacement But may do partial cost??
--
Steve
Thanks for that guys, I don't park near a railway station and I don't think there are any diamond mines nearby either.

I still think that the glass may well be inferior as my old cars didn't have this problem and nothing has changed in the way I treat/drive them etc.

I'll see what Citroen have to say, though something tells me not to hold my breath.
Picasso- Windcreen scratches - Altea Ego
"not to hold my breath"

I wouldnt.

Do you think your screen might develop a crack?

Mine would.
Picasso- Windcreen scratches - Simon
If it was me then this is what I'd do in this order:

1, Try and get it done by Citroen under warranty but I doubt you will achieve this.

2, Pop in to your local automotive glass people. Ask their advice, see if they can repair it or recommend anything to help.

3, If the first two fail and you really can't live it, then check your insurance policy for your windscreen cover, check about any excess and then if viable claim for it using your windscreen cover. Like Schnitzel said above "wait a bit and hope it gets chipped, and no, don't do it with a hammer and centre punch, that's naughty."
Picasso- Windcreen scratches - mfarrow
One other piece of advise. If you ever see a stone or a centre-punch coming towards your widscreen, don't forget to swerve so that the crack is in the drivers direct line of site. Otherwise, no new windscreen.
Picasso- Windcreen scratches - Cyd
This type of scratching can be caused by dirt particles which are carried by the wiper blades. Dirt can become engrained in the rubber blade which then becomes US. You should not rely on your dealer to recommend blade replacement - they should be replaced AT LEAST once a year with high quality items (German, Swedish and French do Bosch blades for half what Halfords charge).

This type of scratching is not covered by warranty. However it is worth a try - a certain 4x4s dealers change loads of glass for non-warrantable reasons.

Repair will not be possible - only replacement.

As for the glass being inferior - I would suggest the likelyhood of this is vanishingly small. There are only a small handfull of automotive glazing manufacturers and they probably buy all their raw material (flat glass in large sheets) from Pilkingtons, who directly or indirectly supply the vast majority of the European motor industry.

A synic might ask: if the "Windcreen is scratched so badly (by the wipers) that it is dangerous and needs replacing", how come the blades weren't replaced as soon as the first scratches were noticed? Sorry.
Picasso- Windcreen scratches - Aretas
The best windscreen advice I ever saw (on this site?) said that the first wipe of the blade in the morning did the damage, as water from the washer does not lubricate anything until the second sweep. I now always lift the blade and wipe windscreen underneath before starting out in for the first ime in the day.
The build up of scratches is pretty insidious. I didn't notice the first scratch as it wasn't causing the problems I described.

I'm sure you are correct when you say that only a handful of manufacturers produce glass, but there must be a possibility of a faulty batch. Like I said, I've been driving around in sheds for the last 20 years and this has only happened with my new car.

If blades are should be replaced every 10,000 miles or so (avg. miles, 6 months for me) why doesn't it say so in my owners handbook?