peugeot 306 cooling fan not coming on - greg
Hi all

My 98 306 xsi boiled over the other day after a journey into London (water was dripping from the rad overflow, so not a breakdown in a cloud of steam but it was only 8 degreess C out).

After further investigation it appears that the fan is not coming on. I left the engine running until the temp gauge read 100C (red line is just over 110C), but I would expect the fan to have cut in by 100.

Any thoughts? Thermostat? Broken fan? Dodgy wiring?

I had the air con condensor, some pipes and both rads changed a few months ago and can't remember whether I have heard the fan since. Could this be related?

Thanks

Greg
peugeot 306 cooling fan not coming on - solara
I beilve aircon pugs have 2 speed fans. Fans should operate at low speed with air con on.
For more info go to
www.peugeotlogic.com/workshop/base/workshop.htm
peugeot 306 cooling fan not coming on - Crinkly Dave
have you checked fan is OK by shorting out sensor in radiator or putting 12v supply direct across the motor?

If OK, you need to check fuses, relays, wiring etc
peugeot 306 cooling fan not coming on - greg
Thanks for answers so far. So it seems from the link provided by Solara that the two fans in front of the air con rad are both for engine cooling and air con operation. So the fact that they run when i switch the air con on means that they work! So I guess it is looking like electrical rather than mechanical, so I'll check the fuses first then worry about the more difficult stuff...

Not sure I am knowledgable enough to know where to start when checking relays and wiring. I hope this isn't going to cost me too much. Fixing the air con was a large expense...

Thanks.
peugeot 306 cooling fan not coming on - solara
if the fans run, then fuses are probably okay.
I would investigate the bitron sensor.
peugeot 306 cooling fan not coming on - mjm
If the rad etc have been changed, then there is a possibility that the temperature sensor in the rad has not been re-connected, or the contacts on it are bad.