How much less for pre-registered? - David R
I feel a bit cheap for asking but what do you think about this. My local Renault dealer will give me a £3400 discount on a Grand Scenic 1.9DCi, which I think is a terrific deal. It outdoes most of the brokers and seriously undercuts the whatcar target. I can get it a bit cheaper by using a broker that sells new but pre-registered cars. The broker also handles the ££, not a franchised dealer. I think there are risks / harassment with this approach. How much cheaper do you think a pre-registered new car needs to be compared to its discounted franchised equivalent?

Ta

David
How much less for pre-registered? - DavidHM
Depends on who the broker is and whether or not the car is UK supplied and from stock.

Probably £100 off the second hand value of the car when you come to sell for having had a previous owner.

Then the premium you'd pay for the time and money you save by buying locally - that's up to you but value your leisure time at at least double what you earn and factor in the travel costs as well.

Finally something for the risk - probably 1.5%, which is a month's credit card cash borrowing - so about £200 for that.

I'd say that adds up to £400 without any difficulty, maybe more.
How much less for pre-registered? - Vansboy
& don't forget, some pre-reg, will be previous years model, maybe a reg plate earlier, too & even several months old.

So you'll loose on balance of warranty & may even only get a couple of months tax.

Plus, you're still, technically buying a USED car, so if you find some body/paint repairs have been made, it's not like you can complain, in the same way, as if it was NEW.

Also, not applicable to most (private) buyers,but a pre-reg, could possibly have lost the VAT qualification, so if it were for business use, it's actually 17.5% too expensive!!

Do a deal on a NEW, new car!!

VB
How much less for pre-registered? - BobL
Look at Motorprovider, linked from this site, £14195 for 1.9dci Grand scenic dynamique. cars are not pre reg and are uk reg 3 yr manuf warranty and much nicer buying/pickup experience than Renault dealers
How much less for pre-registered? - andymc {P}
Do you have any experience of this franchised dealer from previous dealings, and if so, have your experiences been good or bad? If the former, I would be inclined to go back to the dealer and explain that you can get a better deal elsewhere, but that if he will throw in something to sweeten the deal, like some extra kit, or a fourth year on the warranty, you'll buy from him - even if the monetary value of the sweetener isn't as quite much as the overall saving you're looking at. In terms of backup and support if/when problems arise, I reckon you're a bit more likely to get a decent level of service from the franchised dealer than from a car supermarket. Of course, the dealer may also be useless in terms of after-sales, but from what I can gather the odds are against getting decent after-sales support from a supermarket (generally speaking).
--
andymc
Vroom, vroom - mmm, doughnuts ...
How much less for pre-registered? - andymc {P}
"isn't as quite much as ..."
Not even eight o'clock, and I'm already jober as a sudge!
--
andymc
Vroom, vroom - mmm, doughnuts ...
How much less for pre-registered? - David R
Thanks for the link, not a supermarket I have come across

I think the car in question is an import, as when they are UK cars the ad says so.

My current two cars, a BMW and a SEAT are both both from franchised dealers and the service has been fantastic from both. Little niceties like my children damaging two of the seats in my 2 week old Alhambra with a sharp metal stick, the dealer unpicked the stiching, said the seats were faulty and changed them both under warranty. I have had good franchised experiences (BMW 9 and a half years with the same one), and so I think its worth something, but admittedly not a fortune.

David
How much less for pre-registered? - carl_a
Little niceties like my children damaging two of the
seats in my 2 week old Alhambra with a sharp metal
stick, the dealer unpicked the stiching, said the seats were faulty

So your dealer lied and cheated the manufacturer. Thats fantastic service ?
How much less for pre-registered? - william
I too have a scenic from Motorprovider, I was first registered keeper brand new in Britain and had 3 yrs warranty, Top people before and after I collected it, car was instock and paid when I collected it. As per aftersales / warranty work it has 3 years warranty as i live 100 miles from motorprovider i can take it to any renault dealer. so as for the main dealers i am not paying you £4000 more for the same thing.