Cooling system - lost coolant. Megane. - Dezzy
Hi,

I have a Renault Megane Diesel 1.9td - 1997 model.

I was noticed slight smoke coming from the engine after a long journey. When I took a look, the coolant tank was completely empty, (was checked a few weeks ago and was okay).

My questions are...

I've obviously lost the coolant "somewhere" - any suggestions where to look. The pipes look okay - the radiator is a sealed unit so I'm not sure how to check this is okay.
The oil looks okay, (no mayo), so "hoping" there hasn't been a head gasket failure. Not sure how to check the pump either.

I've filled up the expansion tank again but I believe I need to bleed the cooling system via "bleeding nipples". Any ideas where these are on a Megane.

Any advise appreciated.
Cooling system - lost coolant. Megane. - Dezzy
Please help - I daren't drive long distances incase I get a Head gasket failure.

I've refilled the coolant and found a "bleeding valve" on the radiator and all looks fine.

BUT what happened to all the coolant previously - can't find any leaks ???
Cooling system - lost coolant. Megane. - Civic8
Any problems with temp guage at all. ie when you slow down/stop does the guage go up more than usual?
--
Steve
Cooling system - lost coolant. Megane. - Big John
Some Meganes have bolted on plastic thermostat housings that eventually can leak under stress. Give the engine a good rev when the engine is hot with the bonnet up and look for water. Stand back whilst doing this as hot water hurts!