Leon, both headlights stopped working - plinth
I got into the car last night, turned on the lights, and both main beams came on for a split second before cutting out, never to return.

Thank god for the (previously unused) front fog lights!

Not sure if its a related problem, but about a month ago one of the front indicators stopped working (the indicators flash twice as quickly to inform you of a fault). I checked the passenger side indicator and sure enough it wasn't working. I assumed the bulb had gone but two days later it was working again, and has stayed working since.

Is it likely that both bulbs have blown at the same time, or will it be something else (fuse maybe?).

{subject header amended. DD}
Leon, both main beams stopped working - Peter D
Don't you think it would be sensible to check the obviuos before asking at this Forum. Surely a check of the fuses and maybe associates relay should have been done before you drove the car without any dipped beam headlights. Regards Peter
Leon, both main beams stopped working - plinth
The problem is, I wouldn't know where or how to check.

I've not had the car that long and don't have a haynes manual for it either. I know the fuses are usually somewhere in the driver side cabin but not sure where.

Any pointers appreciated (I have a multi-meter that I can presumably use to check the fuses - I guess I would remove the fuse and check for an open circuit?)
Just had a thought about terminology. Is "main beam" the correct term or do I really mean "dipped beam"?

Anyway, some extra info which I probably should have mentioned:

Indicators and sidelights are still working OK.
Full Beam (i.e. the one you get when you pull the stick back to flash the lights) also working OK.
Leon, both main beams stopped working - Ex-Moderator
dip/dipped-beam are terms for the lights you would use to avoid dazzling something coming towards you.

Main beam/Full beam/beam would be terms for the lights you use when you want to see a long way without blinding anyone.
Cheers for that. In that case its the dipped beam. (Full beam still works OK).
Leon, both main beams stopped working - Deryck Tintagel
You should find the location of the fusebox in the driver's manual - it may be alongside the right knee. This will also tell you which fuse supplies the dip beam. If you don't have the manual you should find a legend on the reverse of the fusebox lid - I can't remember the symbol. It may also be red (10A) but will depend on what the manufacturer fitted.

Check using the multimeter on resistance range - a good fuse will be low resistance. You can also check the fuse visually as you will see melted wire.

Try one new fuse and if that works all is good. If it blows again you may have a short somewhere.
Leon, both main beams stopped working - Dynamic Dave
I got into the car last night, turned on the lights,
and both main beams came on for a split second before
cutting out, never to return.

Are you certain both "dipped" beam bulbs were working beforehand? One *might* have blown some time ago but you hadn't noticed, so when the other one went, could it be that you assumed both have blown at the same time?