106 for Punto - misterp
Have the opportunity to swap our shopping trolly 106 diesel for a Punto 60s.

106 is a good runner,70k miles, 1996 model.

Punto is 1998 60s one owner 45k miles well maintained.

I can probably acquire the fiat for similar money to what I can get for the 106. I know there are no certainties at this end of the market, the 106 has cost very little to run for the last 4 years. I feel the Punto is a slightly safer car, possibly has the 'FIRE' engine?? and a more rust proof body. It will also be a bit more comfy and better to drive.The punto has a new clutch. The 106 recently had a new cxambelt.

What do you think??
106 for Punto - sonic
I have had a 60s Punto from new for 6 years and 40k, not a single problem, cheap as chips to run, goes and handles well, very underrated cars. Make sure cambelt has been changed (deteriorate with age). Some report head gasket problems, but usually follows coolant change (care needed to get all air out of system). Has the one you're looking at had lots of town work, 45k is early for a new clutch on a Punto?
106 for Punto - misterp
Yes its been mainly a run around car but not a Stop/start type.
106 for Punto - Andrew-T
I have owned a Punto for 18 months and a 106 for about two (I thought daughter would take it on but she didn't). IMHO the Peugeot will be more fun to drive, but the Punto will be a lot more roomy. For me the 106 was just too small, especially the pedal box. Reliability at that age - don't know. Could go either way.
106 for Punto - madf
Frankly I would not buy or trade any Punto of that age.. low mileage because of the reliability (or lack of it) I expect.. and a lousy ride as well

madf

106 for Punto - sonic
Personally I like the Punto's firm ride. And 9 year old 106's with over 70k aren't exactly bomb proof, be fair!
106 for Punto - misterp

I know its a game of chance at the end of the day.The change would hopefully cost nowt. The fiat belongs to my parents so I know it has been looked after.I reason that either car could undergo some type of expensive failure at any point.The punto is more solid and running costs are identicle.I therefore am leaning in favour of elective change. If in 6 months the 106 is knackerd it is very hard to find a goody at this end of the market when the pressure is on.
106 for Punto - Andrew-T
No, misterp, I don't think a Punto would be 'more solid', that's something that Puntos (Punti?) aren't. However as you know its history, that is a big plus. For me it depends how you value room vs. drivability. You could get 50mpg on the Punto and 60 on the 106 (diesel).
106 for Punto - budu
My wife has an R reg 106, I have and X reg CVT Punto. The 106 is by far the most fun to drive as it has an excellent chassis. However, it is not big enough for my 6' frame and my size 11 shoes. I can't get the driving seat far enough back to get in and out comfortably and the pedal box is far too small.

The Punto is very roomy but less zippy. The ride is a bit harsh on poor surfaces and the body rolls somewhat if I chuck it into corners too sharply. On the other hand, it runs smoothly on good roads and is a restful motorway tourer. I get 42 mpg on mixed driving, 50 on extended touring. It is very well put together, far better than my previous car, an MGf. When it was new, one brake circuit went down but there have been no other problems in 45,000 miles (apart from the replacment exhaust fitted by KwikFit, but that is another story).