Vectra DTI Engine Management Light - gss
I have a Vectra 2.0 DTI - 2001 registered. The dreaded ECU/Problem Light has come on. The light comes on once the car has warmed up, i.e. after 10 minutes driving. The light then stays on and the car dramitically looses power. When standing and revved, it will refuse to exceed 3,500 rpm whilst the light is on. Once the light goes out, its right as rain. Also, since the light has been coming on and the loss of power has been present, when revved, the exhaust is making a strange "whoooossssshing" noise. Ive had the car taken into 2 seperate Vauxhall Garages and had a Tech2 Diagnostic check done. The code displayed is P0400-Critical System Malfunction! The chap at the Vauxhall Garage said to me that its the air flow meter. Luckily for me, ive got another Vectra DTI, so I swapped them over, BUT the same problem persists. I had a similar problem on my 2nd Vectra DTI, on that one it turned out to be a really small vacuum pipe that had come off by the battery, but on this one, IM STUMPED. Can someone please shed a little light on this for me please as having read all the horror stories of Vauxhall Dealers, im very reluctant to take it in. PLEASE PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HELP ME. Thanks!
Vectra DTI Engine Management Light - David G.I.Davies
P0400 does not tell you an awful lot or rather tells you what you already know.I've found that this code often relates to a problem with the EGR system,exhaust or turbcharger.So suggest you check EGR valve(easily accessible under top engine cover),ensure you have no restriction or looseness in the diesel cat.and make sure all turbo pressure pipes are secure and not damaged.The ideal way to find the problem is to drive the car with the scantool connected and check component values when the problem occurs.This is the next step after simple code reading,whch as you've found can be hopelessly vague.
Vectra DTI Engine Management Light - Pugugly {P}
May be worth going Googling on this. Guy in work had the same trouble, eventually traced it through a Vectra BBS (c/w pics of the offending part) Vauxhall fitted a load of new parts to his motor (all in vain) until he found the answer...certain "letters" were exchanged and he ahd a full refund on all the parts they erroniously fitted.
Sorry to sound a bit vague, but whats a Vectra BBS?? And what do you mean by going googling on this one?

Thanks!
Vectra DTI Engine Management Light - Ex-Moderator
That's lawyers and their love for a baffling approach to communication !

"googling" = go to www.google.co.uk and type search terms into it and see what you get - its a search engine, and one of the more useful ones.

A Vectra BBS would be some type of discussion forum Vectras - where one might find other people with a similar issue and hopefully others with a solution. Essentially a forum such as this but dedicated solely to Vectras.
Vectra DTI Engine Management Light - snowy
I think these are the extremely helpful people you seek:

thunderace.legend.co.uk/cgi-bin/advice/index.pl?in...x
Thanks to everyone who's been trying to help me. I ahvent been able to carry out much of what everyone has advised me but someone else asked me to do something which ive done. Ill write it below and would appreciate it anyone could let me know if this eliminates anything!?!?!?

Basically, ive taken the small vacuum pipe off the EGR valve at the front of the engine and this small pipe is trying to suck air in. Ive been advised that this means the vacuum is working but then this person says that my EGR valve could be knackered. ARE THEY RIGHT and/or does this eliminate anything.

Thanks again in advance for all the help im recieving.
Vectra DTI Engine Management Light - mrbeginner
i once owned a cavalier 2ltr auto and had similar problems to this so i called out the repair man and it turned out to be a dirty connection leading to the engine managment, worth a try!
Vectra DTI Engine Management Light - prm
Try VVOC.com, very useful site