Untreated roads - Gary
With all the arguments going off in the back room recently especially the ones involving IO and Alwyn about the pro's and cons of speed limits etc etc etc etc etc , I would be interested to know how many accidents/fatalities are caused by untreated roads in the winter?
Re: Untreated roads - Phil Goodacre
I would guess that the response would be that untreated roads do not cause accidents, only drivers and pedestrians who do not make allowances for the conditions.
Re: Untreated roads - John Kenyon
Phil Goodacre wrote:
>
> I would guess that the response would be that untreated roads
> do not cause accidents, only drivers and pedestrians who do
> not make allowances for the conditions.

I agree with this 100%. The last time we had any amount of snow
around this neck of the woods, the safest road for me was the
untreated one, mainly due to the lack of numpties who abandoned
the back roads and clogged up the A23.

/john
Re: Untreated roads - pugugly
Especially now that the House of Lords have decided that Local Authorities have no duty to treat icy roads...........
Re: Untreated roads - Alwyn
One morning last winter there were 127 accidents on untreated roads in Flintshire.

When, as a Councillor, I chastised the highways folks, they said people should drive according to the conditions. Simplistic rubbish.

Where we are, there are hills in every direction so we cannot get to work without descending hills. If they are not treated, the alternatives are either risk a crash or take a day off work.

But what if a doctor or fireman or ambulance chappie who might have saved a life can't get to work because the council are too involved in saving money?

It is all the more irritating when we pass the council depot and see huge mounds of grit just sitting there.

They should be obliged by law to keep the roads clear, no matter what some out of touch judge says. Their only excuse can be when temperatures are so low that even salt will not work.

By the way, I read some time ago that judges are often not the sharpest knives in the box. A top silk can earn ten times as much as a judge and I have seen it written - though of course I have no way on knowing if it is true -that some of them only do it for the pension!! Probably total lies, of course.
Re: Untreated roads - Dave N
I don't think it is simplistic rubbish. They manage in countries a lot hillier and colder than ours, without using salt. True, we don't get it very often, which makes changing tyres/studs etc a bit awkward, but then we ought to know by now we can't rely on the state for much.

Interestingly, if you fly to lapland to see Father Christmas, they land the plane on snow, but don't have studded tyres, as far as I could see. If they had, how would they land at Gatwick?
Re: Untreated roads - Mark (Brazil)
> I don't think it is simplistic rubbish. They manage in
> countries a lot hillier and colder than ours, without using
> salt.

They don't salt the roads in the Chilean Andes, although they certainly do send snow-ploughs down them.
Re: Untreated roads - John Kenyon
Dave N wrote:
>
> I don't think it is simplistic rubbish. They manage in
> countries a lot hillier and colder than ours, without using
> salt. True, we don't get it very often, which makes changing
> tyres/studs etc a bit awkward, but then we ought to know by
> now we can't rely on the state for much.
>
> Interestingly, if you fly to lapland to see Father Christmas,
> they land the plane on snow, but don't have studded tyres, as
> far as I could see. If they had, how would they land at
> Gatwick?

Another oversimplification...

Most of the force used to slow a landing jet aircraft comes from
reverse thrust, with the wheel brakes used at lower speeds.

Provided the surface is smooth and there is sufficient runway length available, there should be no problem bringing a jet
aircraft to a halt.
Re: Untreated roads - Mark (Brazil)
> of course I have no way on knowing if it is true -that some
> of them only do it for the pension!! Probably total lies,
> of course.

Sadly not. That and social standing.
Re: Untreated roads - Andrew T
Again, the obsessed motorist thinks only of being able to drive his car. Ignoring the question of whether salt damages the thing (they are pretty salt-proof nowadays) it seems that cost of salting is no object, and how many people ask where the salt goes (which it does soon after being thrown on the road). It probably runs off into a ditch/stream and turns 'fresh' water brackish. Is anyone bothered about the wildlife?
Re: Untreated roads - Dave N
By how much does ones car devalue due to the salt used on treated roads?
Re: Untreated roads - Andrew T
By nothing like as much as cars did twenty years ago !!
Re: Untreated roads - Tomo
Actually, it used to be a bit of fun to get out there slithering about......
Re: Untreated roads - ladas are slow
where i live the council DO use the gritters, but usually about a fortnight after the snow comes, and strangely the gritters only seem to go down the roads that the councillors live on.
Re: In defence of Judges - pugugly
Alwyn,

I would have agreed with you a few years ago, but the genreral evolution of the judicial system has weeded out a lot of the blunt knives. Cast your mind back to the 70s with all the "blunt" Judges we had then, a few names spring to mind !.These days I would prefer to take my chances in a Crown Court any day of the week should I find myself in the dock. HMG is looking at lopping the amount of cases that can go to Crown, I feel that this is dangerous. I feel that Judges in England and Wales play a very tight game, as one word out of place in a summing up can lead to an appeal.