Pierburg 2E3 carb stalling - Firebird1900
I have an old 1300 golf mk 2 (170 k miles) with a Pierburg 2E3 carb. It has always been excellent but now has an annoying problem.

It starts fine and runs well on the automatic choke for about 3 to 5 minutes. Then when you stop at lights you hear the engine speed drop and it tends to stall at idling. When the engine is warmed up (i.e a few minutes later) it idles very well. The stalling only occurs at ideling speed during the few minutes after the choke has come off and before the engine is warm. It seems the choke comes off too early or the ideling speed at that time is too low.

VW main dealer replaced the pull down unit but have now pretty much run out of ideas and they havent fixed it!

Any ideas for a fix welcome.
Pierburg 2E3 carb stalling - pmh
This link is one of the best definitive guides I have found for this carb. Well worth reading for all old VW owners!

www.clubgti.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=46724&PN...1

Several people I have spoken with confirm the view that most of the trade do not like these carbs, basically because they do not understand how to set them up proerly.

This carb is a typical example of how manufactures just kept adding extra bits of complexity to overcome problems as they occurred. If they had started the design from scratch the retooling costs would have made the replacement carb unacceptable. It is interesting to note on many carbs the number of blank cast areas that look ready to be drilled tapped etc. are present. Presumably that meant that they were aware of potential problems but were not quite sure what they were going have to do!

--
pmh (was peter)

Pierburg 2E3 carb stalling - pmh
Sory I should read more carefully! This guide is for 2E2, altho some of the comments apply to both. Worth reading.

I hope link is clickable this time.

www.clubgti.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=46724&PN...1

--
pmh (was peter)