Nearly ! - Brian
Nearly got taken out tonight at Regents Park.
Coming up the "upright" on a T junction and turning right on green I found a car coming from my right across the T.
The driver had mistaken the left filter for "go".
Thing is, in court we would both have sworn on oath that we had a green and, unless there was a witness it would have been my word against hers.
She is probably at home now, telling her old man over supper how her lightning reactions stopped her mowing down a motorcyclist that jumped the lights.
It is an easy mistake to make. I have nearly been caught out in the past.
Maybe filter lights should be different in some way, perhaps by flashing, to distinguish them from straight-ahead greens.
Discuss.
Re: Nearly ! - Adam Going (Tune-Up Ltd)
Brian,

Flashing filters arrows seems a brillinat idea to me. Can't be sure, but I think I may have seen this somewhere abroad. Why not suggest it to "them".
the Dept. of Transport are at "detr.gsi.gov.uk".

You could try the patent office first !!

Regards, Adam
Re: Nearly ! - Dave N
Someone did the same to me coming out of brighton. Fortunatley the car in front got hit, and I managed to stop and stay upright.

I bet your pooper's still going isn't it?

Mine was going so bad, I rode like an absolute wally all the way home.
Re: Nearly ! - Brian
Dave
I should have mentioned that neither of us were going at much more than 25 mph. So much for "speed kills".
And yes, I've changed my undies, thank you ! :0)
Re: Nearly ! - Cockle
Have seen the flashing arrows in France, I believe, seemed to act like a give way signal out of rush hour, also something similar in Crete, but that seemed to be more an invitation to negotiate!!

Must admit some filter lanes are pretty confusing on occasion especially if you're not familiar with the junction. However if we adopted the American idea of being able to treat a red as a give way if you're turning right, obviously left in our case, would we need a left hand filter on a T junction in the first place?

Glad you are alright Brian, at least we know we can get your Xmas present from M&S this year!!
Re: Nearly ! - El Dingo (Martin)
Quote..."Nearly got taken out tonight at Regents Park.
Coming up the "upright" on a T junction and turning right on green I found a car coming from my right across the T.
The driver had mistaken the left filter for "go".
Thing is, in court we would both have sworn on oath that we had a green and, unless there was a witness it would have been my word against hers.
She is probably at home now, telling her old man over supper how her lightning reactions stopped her mowing down a motorcyclist that jumped the lights.
It is an easy mistake to make. I have nearly been caught out in the past.
Maybe filter lights should be different in some way, perhaps by flashing, to distinguish them from straight-ahead greens.
Discuss."

My father got caught out by this...He was convinced that he had a green light, but actually went straight on at a left hand filter. He got hit in the left hand side of his old Ford van - Ouch! (I say this because I was in the back at the time).
Incidentally, if anyone is travelling in Italy, the filters often point straight ahead, which can cause confusion to the non-Italian driver (it certainly made me think the first time I came upon such a junction!).
Re: Nearly ! - Tom Shaw
Flashing filters would be a great idea, as it would also wake up the huge number of drivers who don't notice them and sit there wondering why so many of the drivers behind are blowing ther horns!
Re: Flashing Filters - ian (cape town)
Yes, we have them here.
The filter arrow flashes, and then changes to a red flashing arrow after a suitable time.
But at different junctions, the filter either works before, or after the main green light, so you have to have your wits about you.
Re: Flashing Filters - Dwight Van-Driver
Bri...

Plod to the rescue.
Regents Park -take this as London?
We up North understand you are under surveillance from CCTV everywhere, in the street and at Lights?

DVD
Re: Flashing Filters - Brian
DVD
No need for plod, fortunately, as we missed, but it was an example of how things can go wrong in a split second.
CCTV is never where you want it and I don't know how committed plod would be to locating the right camera at the right time. And, whenever you go onto the London Jamcam website, half the cameras seem to be off-line.
Re: Nearly ! - rg bhaji
I've seen TWOCers and inexpert emergency services drivers bang straight through at speed without looking anyway. Likewise, having done the best part of 500K miles as a company driver (and still very much a learner) and been confused by lights myself, I realise how easy it is to inadvertantly jump them or, typically, read a green from a bank of lights further up on a complex junctionwhen the one controlling you is red.

Are junctions and signals designed by desk pilots? Any input from regular drivers, I wonder?

I always take traffic lights as advisory, and not confirming and assuring safe passage. Too many nutters out there.

rg bhaji
Re: Nearly ! - Stuart B
rob speaks sense with "I always take traffic lights as advisory, and not confirming and assuring safe passage"

Pity that did not happen with the Paddington rail crash. Just imagine, you are on your way to work, regular route, approaching a traffic light you know is a bit dodgy to see because of position and the morning sun. Would you think "Aw heck it's usually green so I'll keep on going"

If that comment upsets any railway workers or anyone coonected with the crash I'm sorry but it's how I see it.