Primera auto box - prm
I know a lot of people on here rate the Primera 2.0 petrol engine as very good, but are their auto boxes bullet proof as well, and is there anything i should look out for on these cars. It would be a 1999/2000 model. Thanks in advance
Primera auto box - Aprilia
Primera SR20DE engine is very good indeed. Only real problem is the cam oil feeds getting blocked if the oil is allowed to get mucky. Check to see if 'proper' Nissan antifreze is being used (its a sort of luminous green).

Autobox - the stepped Jatco 'box is fine and pretty much bulletproof if not used for towing boats etc.

I don't like the CVT and wouldn't buy one.

Other thing to watch for is rattling front links - drive over bumps at low speed and listen for knocks. Not nearly as bad as it sounds and easy to fix.

Lots of pattern parts now available at low prices, so cheap to run!
Primera auto box - prm
Thanks Aprilia, very helpful
Primera auto box - Beaks
RE the above comment about proper green nissan anti freeze - does this HAVE to be used ? When i took my 98 Primera with the aforementioned 2 litre engine to the nissan dealers they never but any green anti freeze in. I stopped taking it there and have had the coolant topped up and checked with non-nissan anti freeze. Could there be a problem ???
thanks in anticipation. this site has already sorted out a few minor niggles !!
Nissan engines (esp. the all-alloy SR20DE) should be filled with Nissan L200 low-silicate antifeeze. Comes in 1 litre bottles - all Nissan dealers should stock it. Its not expensive at about £3 a litre. You'll need four litres.

Drain the rad (pull bottom hose off) and the block (drain bung on front of engine block). Lift out the header tank and empty it out.

Then refill system with antifreeze mixed 50:50 with distilled water (get a gallon from a motor factors).
Primera auto box - RichardM
Haven't seen under the bonnet of one of these, but a tip for changing the antifreeze in the header tank: syphon it out. Saves a lot of unnecessary hassle unbolting things etc. Certainly useful on Micras, where there is little room to get in.
Haven't seen under the bonnet of one of these, but a
tip for changing the antifreeze in the header tank: syphon it
out. Saves a lot of unnecessary hassle unbolting things etc. Certainly
useful on Micras, where there is little room to get in.

The one of the Primera lifts out dead easy. You don't even have to disconnect the feeder pipe, just lift over the front end of the car and tip the contents out.
Primera auto box - RichardM
The one of the Primera lifts out dead easy. You
don't even have to disconnect the feeder pipe, just lift over
the front end of the car and tip the contents out.

>>

Going O/T here, but I guess that's one example of an advantage of a larger car, well, larger Nissans anyway :) -- less cramped under the bonnet. Brother runs two old, but still serviceable, late model Bluebirds he can't bring himself to part with. Acres of space under the bonnet on these -- can't imagine a better car to work on. (Helped greatly of course by lack of todays' emission control devices, etc).

Could start another thread about how so many routine service jobs are made so much more difficult due to awkward access on modern cars...