Buying a car privately - financing? - BazzaBear {P}
OK, I'm looking to change my car, and a lovely example of a Fiat Coupe has come along - but it's a private sale.

The issue I have is that I need my current car until I have the new one, but the money from selling the old car will be put towards the new one.
This means that in some manner I'll have to borrow the extra money and pay it back I think.
What are the possible solutions?
My first thought was a loan for the full amount, then pay off a lump sum when I sell the old car, but apparently I can't do that. It's a case of just your repayments, or the whole amount.
Natwest offer a 'tailored loan', which seems to offer the ability to pay off lump sums, but I haven't been able to find out how much the arrangement fee is yet.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for working out this surprisingly difficult problem? I'm sure I'm not the first person to have come across it.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Buying a car privately - financing? - Truckosaurus
Can you not take out two loans. One for the value of your current car and the second for the extra needed to purchase the Fiat.

Once your old car is sold then you can settle the first loan and just keep making payments on the second one.
Buying a car privately - financing? - Altea Ego
How long will the gap be ie how long is the loan for?

The bank can offer you an extended overdraft, the rate is quite high but for a couple of months its ok.
How long will the gap be ie how long is the
loan for?
The bank can offer you an extended overdraft, the rate is
quite high but for a couple of months its ok.

Yeah, I'd thought of that, or of getting a cash advance from a credit card, but the question 'how long will the gap be' is very pertinent. I'm not sure how confident I am about how long it'll take me to sell my Alfa.
Buying a car privately - financing? - Wilco {P}
Bazza

Most personal loans will charge you a redemption fee (often 2 months interest) if you cash in early. www.uswitch.com is a good source of info if you want to check out loans.

Are you a homeowner/do you have a flexible mortgage and could borrow against the value of your house, then repay once the Alfa is sold?

0% credit card offers - check out www.moneysavingexpert.com for the latest offers - needs some discipline and a sale within the time limit!
Buying a car privately - financing? - Chris75
Both Egg & Cahoot offer flexible loans without repayment penalties.

www.egg.com

www.cahoot.com
Buying a car privately - financing? - BobL
I would have thought setting up an agreed overdraft facility with your bank is the easiest solution, say maybe a maximum of 2 months. Most banks won`t charge you to set it up(provided its agreed in advance) and you usually only pay interest daily for the time that you are actually overdrawn. The bank will give you a quote for daily interest. So the quicker you sell your car the less interest you will pay. Just ensure that the price you want for your car is realistic or you could end up paying interest for longer than anticipated
Buying a car privately - financing? - Badger
Don't even consider a cash advance on a credit card Bazza, unless you can promptly transfer the balance to another card. Cash advances carry hideous interest rates and should be used only in the direst emergency.
Buying a car privately - financing? - teabelly
Cahoot do a thing called a flexible loan. You have a minimum payment of £50 or a certain percentage per month but other than that you can pay it off as quickly as you like. You only get charged interest on what you borrow and for how long. The only thing to watch is that if they think you're the type to pay it off quickly then they tend to up the interest rate. If you only pay the minimum for an odd month or two then there is a chance they'll keep it low as they'll think you're theirs for the long term :-) Then you can pay it off asap in one go...

I keep forgetting whether you have the 145 or the 146. If the 146 and it is a 2 litre then it is possible some friends of mine might be interested in buying it as their 145 doesn't have a big enough boot.
teabelly
It's the 145 unfortunately. Cheers for the try though!

I will have a look at both Cahoot and Egg cheers.
Id keep the Alfa for when the Fiat is off the road ;)
Id keep the Alfa for when the Fiat is off the
road ;)

Ho ho ho ;)
And what do I drive when the Alfa is broken, as they apparently invariably are?
Buying a car privately - financing? - DavidHM
Serious answer: what would it cost

a. to borrow the whole amount, less sticking the cash price from the car in an ISA for the length of the loan (assuming you haven't borrowed already)?

b. find a personal loan that doesn't charge repayment penalties and then pay back and reborrow? uk.biz.yahoo.com/loan is ideal for that.

c. If the loan is for a threshhold figure (e.g. £5k) and the car's value is relatively low (sub £1k) you may actually pay less interest by borrowing more.
OK, I've now pretty much gone with the Egg flexible loan option. I'm in a situation though where I can back out if I either change my mind or don't get the car, since I haven't yet signed anything. I can pay off lump sums at any time with no penalty, and interest is calculated daily, so every time I do there's a benefit.
The one issue I do have though is that I've been manoevred into getting the sickness insurance, which I didn't really want.
Bit complicated, but went something like this:
1. I say I don't want any insurance, woman checks what other insurance of this type I already have
2. Puts me on hold for a while
3. Says is happy for me not to have unemployment insurance, but she thinks I should have sickness.
4. I say - are you suggesting this, or am I in a situation where I will only be accepted for the loan if I agree to the insurance?
5. She says, no, it's not mandatory at all.
6. I say Ok then, I don't want it, I don't feel it is necessary.
7. She goes through all the spiel about Egg feeling that I should.

I can't really work out what was happening. it was either
a) Egg were saying without insurance no loan
b) she wasn't clever enough to understand what I was asking when I asked if it was mandatory
c) she was clever enough to appear to daft to work it out.

Anyway, I've said I will accept that deal, they're sending the papers through, I'll read through them again and decide whether to accept or ring and query. As I understand it they can't forece these insurnace deals on me, but on the other hand they could just turn round anbd say 'well then you ain't getting a loan'
Buying a car privately - financing? - Peter S
I'd be wary of taking any insurance from a lender without shopping around, as it is often overpriced. You may well find that you already have some form of sickness cover provided by your employer - always worth checking. Regardless of this, if you don't want it don't take it - don't be pressured into it. They probably make commission on every insurance polciy sold...

Peter
Buying a car privately - financing? - Manatee
I'm pretty sure the insurance won't be mandatory. However, on 14 Jan general insurance, including credit cover, became regulated by the FSA so the operator will have had a new script to go through concerning your "demands and needs". If you do decide to take it out they have to have gone through the correct sales process. Needless to say the UK has implemented the EU Insurance Mediation Directive far beyond what anyone else in Europe has done. Some haven't even bothered yet.
Buying a car privately - financing? - teabelly
As soon as you get accepted for the loan cancel the insurance :-) If they quibble say one of the conditions in it means you could never claim so forcing you to take it would be mis-selling.... that should shut them up :-)

A credit expert may be along in a min to say whether refusing a loan because you don't take an add on product is legal or not.
teabelly
Buying a car privately - financing? - Aprilia
I have a very low opinion of the financial services industries and have as little to do with them as possible (pay cash for cars). The whole disgraceful endowment and pensions rip off should warn people to keep clear. I would not take any kind of add-on insurance policy - I bet its very difficult to make a successful claim - and I would have thought it very dodgy for the company to tie the loan into an insurance product.
If they try to force you to buy this policy then cancel the application and go elsewhere.
Thanks guys, your posts pretty much mirror my own opinion of this matter, but reached a bit of an impasse with the woman in question. I will be perusing the documents they send very carefully, then probably ringing back and arranging to remove the insurance, whether that involves scoring through, or them sending new docs.
Buying a car privately - financing? - Mapmaker
Ah, so you need a loan, but are having trouble in raising one.

That should tell you that you cannot actually afford a new car.

Leave borrowing money to buy cars for idiots, & stick with the car you currently have. [/miserable old idiot mode]

If you're serious though, I'd look at an overdraft. Once you get a cash advance on a credit card you'll have paid 1.5% for it, so might as well not bother with the faff & just pay a bit of OD interest. 1.5% for a loan that's 2 months long is 9% pa (near enough). I'm sure you can get a cheaper OD than that if you've got a reasonable credit risk. If you haven't, see above! And if you sell the car quickly, you'll barely have borrowed anything for any time at all.
Ah, so you need a loan, but are having trouble in
raising one.
That should tell you that you cannot actually afford a new
car.

Were you correct about the first bit, I would certainly agree with the second.
The problem isn't though that I'm having trouble raising one, more that I want to ensure I get the correct one.
My own bankl were willing to lend me far more than I need without so much as a credit check, but their loan doesn't have the flexibility (nor the interest rate) that I desire.

I am very tempted by the overdraft route, but I'd rather the large risk paying a little extra by getting it all as loan, than the possibly small risk of paying a LOT extra if I go the OD route and have trouble selling, if you see what I mean.
Anyway, there is a weeks delay in seeing the car in question, as the seller is out of the country, this gives me the time to sort out the loan properly, and time to check out a few other cars as a comparison point.
Buying a car privately - financing? - Mapmaker
It was TIC! Ish, anyway. I still think that if you need to borrow money to buy a new car, you shouldn't.

What exactly is wrong with your current car? (Don't get me wrong, I'm delighted for you to borrow money from the bank to increase the value of my pension fund, but...)

GBP200 will buy you a perfectly decent VW Polo from eBay, with 12 months MOT and one recent careful owner. It'll even (just about) buy you from eBay a pre-facelift Audi 100 with 12 months MOT.

Hmm.
A VW Polo or an Audi 100. Not exactly top of my wish list.

There is nothing wrong with my current car, in fact I love my current car, but there's nothing wrong with getting one that bit better. I've been wanting a Coupe for a long time, and now I'm in a position to get one, and a very nice example has come along.
I love Dairy Milk, but I'd happily trade it in for some Galaxy ;)
Buying a car privately - financing? - Wee Willie Winkie
Refusing a loan because you don't take the insurance product is not only illegal, but could be damaging to the company from a reputational view.

I'm sure Egg wouldn't intentionally do this, it's more likely to be the sales pitch that would create the impression it may have a bearing on the final decision. Credit companies are very good at not quite crossing the line, but being pretty darn close. Not the one I work for, of course. They're straight down the line....

DB
The agent you spoke to is on a bonus to sell insurance with loans. Simple as that.
Yep. The question now is how easy it'll be the change the agreement before signing.
Could just be a case of amending the forms they send?
But probably will have to spend some more time on the phone.
Buying a car privately - financing? - Vansboy
www.moneysavingexpert.com click on Forums - loans & debts - ask there.

It's a FREE site, from Martin Lewis, the money guy thats on TV & radio all the time.

& well worth ALL backroomers checking in there, too - lots n lots hints n tips on how to save £$£$.

Whenever a motoring Q comes up, I always point them here!!

VB