Previa 2.0D4D - sasquartch
Thinking of buying a Previa, mainly because I need plenty of space and bullet proof reliability. Has anyone out there had experience of a new shape Previa. I'm almost certainly going for a second hand diesel, not many about though with 7 seats, most are 8 seaters - which don't have removeable seats. I'm thinking of paying about 16k for a 53 plate - does this sound reasonable ? I could go for a 2.4 petrol but even a Toyota dealer admitted they were very juicy so I think I'll probably give petrol engines a miss.
Previa 2.0D4D - blue_haddock
Yep the 2.4 petrol previa is a thirsty beast and there are not many diesels out there. Normally if we get one in the retail sales guys have a long list of people who want one and the car is turned round in a couple of days
Previa 2.0D4D - volvoman
Hi - have you any other reason for wanting a Previa? There are other MPV's out there and you haven't said if you've ruled them all out for one reason or another. I have a Mazda MPV (diesel) which I'm very happy with. It has 7 good seats, all of which fold/slide. It has plenty of room and all in all I'm delighted with it. Being Japanese and a Mazda I'm hoping it'll be very reliable in the long term and these were the main reasons for buying it. I briefly considered a Previa when buying my Mazda MPV but didn't like the cost. Also tried a Hyundai Trajet but found it a bit rough and ready albeit with an excellent 5 year warranty. The Trajet's rear doors don't slide and neither do the rear seats which would be a major problem for us so it was a no, no. Rightly or wrongly I quickly ruled out the European and N. American MPV's and the Kia Sedona for a variety of reasons and was left with Japanese of which the Mazda seemed the best all round bet for me. It's now 18 months old and I've had no problems whatseover (touch wood!).

If you haven't had an MPV before and have small kids the rear door issue is more important than you might think. Sliding doors are much better IMO, especially where space is tight. Also ease of removal/folding of the rear seats is important. You don't want to have to lose seats to carry any significant amount of luggage. Thus far, I've only needed to remove the rear seats on mine on a couple of occasions when carrying extremely large items.

Of course the Previa is a great car and Toyota reliability is legendary so if it meets your needs and you've got the money why not. If you want a cheaper Japanese alternative however I'd recommend the Mazda.