1996 306 1.4 single point injection whis - hm
Pug 306 1.4 single point injection 1996 110K on the clock.

A really annoying issue, only really happens when the car is cold.

There is a werrring/whistling noise that I?m pretty sure I have tracked down the throttle body. As I said it only happens when the car is cold, once she is up to temp it goes. Any ideas???

Also, the car seems to be generally underpowered, especially in 2nd (unless you change gear at 4500rpm). I know the gearbox was replaced prior to us purchasing it, I was trying to work out if it had the correct model gearbox fitted. Does anyone know how to check other than ring the pug dealer for serial numbers etc?..

Cheers

H
1996 306 1.4 single point injection whis - Civic8
Whistling noise could well be the throttle body to manifold seal. Would also check out any breather/vacuum pipes to inlet manifold..Under powered can be put down to this..I would check them out before blaming gearbox??
--
Steve
1996 306 1.4 single point injection wh - hm
Thanks Steve,

If it was the seal would it go when the engine had warmed up?

The noise seem to come directly out of the throttle body, I,m not a petrol guy (personally always has DT's) so I do not really understand the make up of the body, and Mr Haynes is not too helpful.

Any more assistance would really be appriecated.

Cheers - H
1996 306 1.4 single point injection wh - Peter D
Use a length of small diameter pipe, washer bottle ¼” type and place one end close to your ear and the other around the throttle body to trace the whistle particularly around the Body to Manifold gasket, some of these are a rubberoid vibration isolation type and can split so you may have to put a little pressure on the throttle body to expose any leak. If it is from inside the body ( Quite noisy in there then you could try a good carb cleaner and wash the inner body out. I prefer to leave a suction tube against the lower end of the butterfly so as not to ingest the chemical into the manifold. Use a small brush co clean out all the corners and around the injector housing. When you think it is clean, clean it again, clean the butterfly itself and crack it open to clean the edges where lacquer build up and may be causing your noise. mop up any mess and fire the engine back up. Best to clean the body when the engine is cold as this evaporates quite quickly. This unit when the choke is on and the throttle is being cracked open by the idle servo does make a hissing noise which calms down as the idle returns to normal. But it’s worth a good check over in case you have a failed gasket or a vacuum pipe split or faulty push on fitting although you made no mention of erratic idle or jumping revs which point to post butterfly air leaks. Regards Peter
Peter,

I will most probably give that a go this evening.

FYI: no erratic idle or rev jumping.

This noise is very loud, if it was a passing car you would immediatly think it was the aux belt rubbing.

If the gasket was split then I guess the car would not run correctlty, but dispite the noise it run's fine.

I personally think it is very underpowered, espically in 2nd at low revs. Also in 5th when doing 50/55mph, you can out your foot down and basically have no pick up, it needs to be dropped into 4th still it very lacking unless you really race it. May be it is just me expecting too much, I'm used to driving DT's with loads of torque, but I would have expected more.

thanks for the advice, I have cleaned the boby a couple of times but I will make an extra effort with the add of the old tooth brush or similar (making sure not to drop an brissels)

Cheers

H
If it’s that loud I think you should stick to the pipe and search around the manifolds including the exhaust gaskets and all joints. That much noise can not be coming from the Throttle Body surely. Let us know. Regards Peter
I now thinking water pump or alternator bearing, cam belt tension or tensioner. Regards Peter
1996 306 1.4 single point injection wh - P 2501
I think you perhaps are expecting a bit too much power from it. I have driven the 1.4 and it has little pick up from 50 in top gear. Certainly if you are used to a TD (me too!) then the pick up will seem virtually nonexistent.

This says more about the torque of the XUD than the lack of power in the 1.4 however.
Peter,

I have removed the aux belt and run the engine and noise was still there. Again, this only happens when the engine is cold.

Granted, I have not checked the cam belt tensioner, nor water pump bearing, but I have replaced the cam (March 2004) and every thing seemed peachy.

The noise is coming from the throttle body, you can play with the accelerater on from under the hood and change the tone.

I will have a go at with the listening and cleaning, may be not tonight as the weather has decieded to throw it guts up and my garage is too full.

Laters

H
1996 306 1.4 single point injection whis - Mon5ter
Had exactly same problem with 1.4 single point 96 model 88000 on clock,

Have just replaced water pump and timing belt idler wasn't sure which one was causing problem.

She's lovley and quite now.

Hope this helps.