Gem Recovery - Beaks
Not sure if this is the right forum but can anyone tell me if Gem Recovery are any good? They seem a lot cheaper than the AA. My cars don't break down so it would only really be in an emergency they would be called out..
Gem Recovery - Dynamic Dave
::moves across to discussion::

Gem Recovery - carl_a
I'm a member but haven't broken down yet, they don't have any services themselves its just insurance, they send out a 3rd party to help you and then pay you back after. Its £36 from the telegraph web site so the price can't be beat.
Gem Recovery - alexisj
My mum has been a member of GEM for as long as I can remember and as far as I know has been very happy with their service. As said above, they send out a local garage to sort you out and I *think* the third party recovery agent needs paying up front which could be the downside (if this is still the case). My inherent *need* to be different to my parents means that I'm with the AA however! (and i'm quite happy with their service).
Gem Recovery - helicopter
I have been with them for the past five or so years and have not yet had occasion to call them out - Well I do drive a Honda and SWMBO has a Toyota so what do you expect.

Yes - they are insurance based but they are cheaper than almost any of the other call out services that I have seen.
Gem Recovery - Big John
I called GEM recovery when I had a flat battery a couple of years ago (map lights!!). After I called the fault in to a national free-phone number a recovery garage called my mobile within five minutes and I was running again after 10 minutes!! You have to pay at the point of repair (credit card), however I received a cheque within 48 hours of sending of the claim form.
Gem Recovery - catcher
I've just joined GEM and they offer two levels of service; the insurance reimbursement type and the 'normal' type. I found it cheaper to buy it through the moneysupermarket site. When I queried the price with GEM they said it was because moneysupermarket had bought a batch of policies at a discount and passed at least some of it on. Even GEMs own price was very competitive and I'm well pleased with the price. I don't doubt their service is as good as any of the others (my mate used to work for a recovery firm and they used to work for a number of breakdown insurance companies - it was just the paperwork that was different).
Gem Recovery - Doc
I have used them twice in the last 5 years and have found them very efficient, with payment by return of post.
I would certainly recommend them.

Gem Recovery - johncyprus
Even better than Gem is Autoaid (01277)235500 via Boncaster.For £28 annually you have a breakdown service; it's essentially an insurance policy with little infrastructure which is why the cost is low, if you need assistance ;repair or a tow you either call Autoaid and they will send assistance or you can call out your own recovery, pay up front and Autoaid will reinburse you the full cost on reciept of your claim. It's amazing that the AA and others get away with charging £100 plus for their services when there are good deals around, it just shows the power of marketing and the appeal of brand names.
Gem Recovery - Robin
I also have AutoAid but am not too impressed with them. I broke down just before xmas so called them out. The bloke who arrived was not able to repair anything more complex than a flat tyre or an metpy fuel tank - he simply did not have the tools. He made it clear that they were contracted simply to recover the car to wherever I wanted it to go. In my particular case reapir of my car took a week and cost £900 so no one could have fixed it at the roadside. However, I was a bit surprised to learn just how basic the 'repair' offered was.

This thread has also reminded me that I have not received reimbursement for the recovery so I'm not too impressed with this part of the service either.
Gem Recovery - top
Have been with GEM for about 5 years, I had only been with them a couple of weeks when I broke down towing a caravan near scarborough.
It was a bank holiday Monday, Called GEM who got recovery to us within 30 minutes, Car and caravan were towed back to nottingham, together we myself and 4 passengers,
Total bill was approaching £350 for the recovery.
Sent a form off to Gem and had The full amount returned to me via cheque within 48 hrs.
Have used them twice since with the same level of service.
for price and reliability don't think you can beat them.