MB Key - Lucian Deville
Hello all,

Not sure if I should of posted this thread here or on the tech forum?

How much does a replacemnt key cost for the late model C Class?

As always, thanks in advance!!

LD
MB Key - Hugo {P}
Hello all,
Not sure if I should of posted this thread here or
on the tech forum?
How much does a replacemnt key cost for the late model
C Class?

...or even contact an MB garage and ask ;)

H
MB Key - Simon
I don't know either, but because it is an electronic key it will be expensive. And its a Mercedes key so it will be doubly expensive. And it it will have to be programmed to the car by your MB dealer so it will be triply expensive. In other words, prepare yourself for a shock...
MB Key - Dynamic Dave

As Dwight Van Driver has previously said, try these people:-

www.alarmremotes.co.uk/index.htm
MB Key - Lucian Deville
Thanks to all those that posted helpful comments here.

Good new is I've found the spare key - it was under the bed - must of fallen off the table - found it when we were cleaning the home.

Thanks again.
MB Key - blue_haddock
Just to give you an example of how stupidly expensive it is to get a new key for a car nowadays a customer asked me the other day how much a key for a new toyota corolla was.

I asked parts and they said the actual key complete with central locking buttons and immobilisor chip was £130 and then they would need to have the car in the workshop for about an hour to program it into the car.

So £130 for the key and then a further £75 quid for an hours labour. If a normal key for a toyota cost over £200 then god knows how much a posh merc one will be!
MB Key - Aprilia
Just to give you an example of how stupidly expensive it
is to get a new key for a car nowadays a
customer asked me the other day how much a key for
a new toyota corolla was.
I asked parts and they said the actual key complete with
central locking buttons and immobilisor chip was £130 and then they
would need to have the car in the workshop for about
an hour to program it into the car.
So £130 for the key and then a further £75 quid
for an hours labour. If a normal key for a toyota
cost over £200 then god knows how much a posh merc
one will be!

Merc one will probably be cheaper (a lot of Toyota Corolla parts are more expensive than Mercedes C-class parts). Thank goodness Toyotas are relaible!
MB Key - blue_haddock
They may be reliable but still expensive if you lose the key!
MB Key - Shaz {p}
probably cheaper to sell the car.....
MB Key - Kevin
>So £130 for the key and then a further £75 quid for an hours labour.

About the same price charged by Jaguar for a new remote plus programming. Luckily under warranty.

Kevin...
MB Key - Aprilia
Luckily under warranty.

Ah - there's the difference!
MB Key - Kevin
Luckily under warranty

Yeah, yesterday I had one of the bulbs fail behind the climate control display (not covered by warranty).

Anyone know how to get behind the centre console on an XJ8?

Kevin...
climate control lights XJ8 - smoke
I know the dash isn't exactly the same as the X300, but if you can do the following then you may be able to get to it (this is the procedure for doing it in the X300).
Open the ashtray, and undo any screws that you may find under there to take the ashtray and lighter out, slip your hand into the gap left and point it towards the J gate, There will be two butterfly nuts on the corners, unscrew them.
Pop the J gate surround up and remove (careful not to break the side tabs), and remove the ski slope.
there should now be 4 screws holding the radio climate control unit in to the dash, unscrew these and pull the whole lot carefully out of the dash. Unclip the back of the climate control unit, and there are two round circular bulbs which screw into the unit. Remove and replace both.
Replacement is the reverse of removal.
Failing this i.e. if the design for removal of the unit is totally different, or if you don't want to do this find a good independent Jag dealer (e.g. Chiltern of Bovingdon if you are near there (fab service on our X300), or Les Pauls etc etc), Jaguar World monthly mag has a few good selection.
Sid
climate control lights XJ8 - Kevin
Many thanks Sid.

I'll take a look at it this weekend.

It's probably a 1hr labour charge at the dealer to change a 20p bulb.

Kevin...

PS. I've seen Chiltern in 'PlayJag' (my SO's description) but I'm in Basingstoke so it would be a bit of a trek.