Is fuel hose same as coolant hose - Richard Huddleston
Cavalier mk 3, one of the fuel hoses (on the low-pressure side of the pump) is 12mm i.d. but nobody seems to stock above 10mm i.d. However, the rad-to-expansion tank hose is 12mm and fits. It looks the same, braided etc, obviously up to higher pressure than the fuel inlet, and is obviously resistant to chemicals eg ethyl glycol. The question is would it be ok as a long-term fix for the fuel line?
Thanks in advance.
Is fuel hose same as coolant hose - Civic8
Only use a pipe that states oil/petrol resistant anything else will melt/breakdown..Your measurement of pipe.Is that after cutting off the part that connects to pump.As they do stretch so possibly 10mm may do it/dont quote me on it though as I forget correct size
--
Steve
Is fuel hose same as coolant hose - Victorbox
Are you sure your local Vauxhall dealer won't sell you a length of fuel hose of the correct inside diameter? My local VX dealer sells it by the foot or metre. Quite expensive - say £12 per metre from memory. The last time I was in there a guy was trying to buy a metre and only had a £10 note on him which he thought would be enough! I get fuel hose for my Cavalier from autojumble/classic car dealers who sell various inside diameter top grade fuel hose at about a third of the price. It is quite specifically marked for fuel use either high pressure or low pressure. When un-leaded fuel came in it was found to "rot" certain very old carburettor & pump seals so using any old rubber pipe just won't be safe. Make sure you get some proper fuel hose clips at the same time - not jubilee clips - as Vauxhall often use those awful crimped fuel pipe clips that can be used only once.
Found you some pipe sizes here www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/catalogue/product_detail.as...2
Are you sure that pipe is 12mm inside diameter? That seems very large to me. My admittedly early year Mk3 Cavalier would, I guess, have about 7mm inside diameter rubber pipe from the plastic fuel tank feed pipe where it appears under the bulkhead in the engine bay up to the pump. I find it is worthwhile checking you are not looking at the inside diameter of the stretched pipe where it goes over the fuel pump stub or the plastic pipe from the tank, as the rubber there will be stretched slightly. I cut off a centimetre or so to get back to "new" pipe to measure the inside diameter.
Sorry steve.o. I didn't read your post closely enough to see I was repeating your bit about cutting off the old pipe end.