Ooops -- sorry. - Badger
Yesterday, driving on a day when my judgement may not have been all that it should be (what's new, asks Lady Stripey), I made a bit of a Horlicks of taking a roundabout and slightly incommoded another driver. It was indifferent driving on my part, and I was totally in the wrong. Must do better, must do better...

Now, we have plenty of hand gestures etc., with which some neanderthals display their disapproval of another's driving, but what can one do to indicate an apology. What says "Sorry, mate. My fault entirely"?
Ooops -- sorry. - wildcolonial
Now, we have plenty of hand gestures etc., with which some
neanderthals display their disapproval of another's driving, but what can one
do to indicate an apology. What says "Sorry, mate.
My fault entirely"?

Good question. I've wondered the same.
All I could come up with, which I've never remembered under the duress of just having done something stupid, was either a hand slap on the forehead or an index finger to forehead with thumb mimiking hammer of pistol firing.
I suppose the deaf or hearing impaired would have some simple gesture which might also have the advantage of being understood in foreign countries.
Russell
Ooops -- sorry. - Altea Ego
A simple flat palm open hand up hand up gesture will normally suffice. No waving.
Ooops -- sorry. - Badger
I used that myself until, on one occasion when I thought I was blocking a pump at a filling station for rather too long, I gave that 'flat palm' sign as apology to the driver waiting behind. He stormed over and angrily accused me of the V sign. Seems we can't win.
Ooops -- sorry. - Roger Jones
If you were the driver of an old metallic-green 3-series BMW who overtook me while I was on a mini-roundabout indicating right at 9.00 a.m. on Sunday, complete with sustained blast on the horn, followed by effing & blinding, I'll accept your apology here. But it won't be you, because those of that ilk won't be on this board.
Ooops -- sorry. - Badger
No, Roger. I was the driver of a greenish Renault Mégane on the Haighton roundabout just north of Preston. I never eff, blind or use digital communication, but if you were the driver of the N registered Peugeot with whom I fleetingly disputed the right to the roundabout exit, then I am in Full Grovel Mode.
Ooops -- sorry. - Ex-Moderator
Stripey - you've got mail.
Ooops -- sorry. - Badger
Thank you Mark. I've acted on it and am now under new management as Badger (previously Stripey).
Ooops -- sorry. - AdrianM
I'd agree - an open handed gesture and mouthed apology (complete with suitably horrified expression at your own idiocy) has worked for me in the past!

Also been on the receiving end as a cyclist - I'd just finished a fine round of expletives against an errant motorist, when he pulled alongside me, wound down his window and apologised - I actually felt ashamed for bad-mouthing him (although I had just seen my life flash before me).

So much road rage could simply be avoided by a little courtesy and some acknowledgement of ones own mistakes.
Ooops -- sorry. - BrianW
"So much road rage could simply be avoided by a little courtesy and some acknowledgement of ones own mistakes."

And by acknowledging a courtesy: a nod or wave of the hand when someone lets you out, maybe.
Ooops -- sorry. - frostbite
"And by acknowledging a courtesy: a nod or wave of the hand when someone lets you out, maybe."

Absolutely! If anything is guaranteed to stop me being nice for the rest of the day, it's when some prat (often a middle aged female type) sweeps imperiously across the bonnet of my car as if it was only their right anyway.
Ooops -- sorry. - BobbyG
Could turn this on its head - from now on the sign for "sorry, my fault", is a single or 2 finger salute!!

Now on your daily travels, every time someone cuts you up and gives that response to your tooting, then you know they are really apologising!

Think it will catch on? :)
Ooops -- sorry. - Adam {P}
I don't think so Bobby,

I just tried it and the gentleman didn't seem too please. So much so, he punched me in the eye which is now rather swollen.
--
Adam
Ooops -- sorry. - frostbite
You'll never get a job with nulabour! Put a spin on it - 'I hit his fist violently with my eye'.