It's not worth that is it? - DavidHM
Would anyone pay £1,700 for an R registration, ex-police, white Peugeot 306 1.4 LX with 100k on the clock? It doesn't sound like the worst example of its breed but that's surely a lot of money for a car with a fairly questionable history.

A friend of mine is very seriously interested in this car - even though there's a Xsara diesel, newer, from a dealer with a proper warranty and some haggle room, for less. (She originally wanted a diesel but now seems to have fallen for this one...)

This is y the way at an 'auction' where the cars have a pre-advertised 'buy it now' price like on eBay but apparently the auction terms and conditions still apply, so a warranty lasts an hour, etc.

To me it sounds as dodgy as you like.
It's not worth that is it? - frostbite
Agreed - especially taking into account the various comments made by the BiB on here about ex-police vehicles.
It's not worth that is it? - PhilW
Trouble is - a 306 has far more "street cred" than a Xsara let alone the ZX that it is a contemporary of. Reason/logic doesn't come into it. Strange how this happens - yet the Saxo had/has so much more "street cred" than the almost identical 106! However, one has to say that the 306 is a more attractive looking car than the Zsara which is rather plain (like the new Focus!!!)
It's not worth that is it? - Aprilia
Would touch it at £700, let alone £1700.
It's not worth that is it? - P 2501
Way,way too much money. decent S reg 306 dturbos are going for around that near me.

Probably worth around 800-1000 with flawless history and excellent condition in and out,half that in the condition you describe.
It's not worth that is it? - Badger
You certainly get better bangers these days.
It's not worth that is it? - DavidHM
Well they bought it at the full £1,700.

Apparently it attracted quite a lot of interest at the auction/the seller brought a lot of his mates along and so, having paid a deposit before calling me, they went ahead and coughed up the rest. Apparently (though not really knowing that much) it's in excellent condition, but we shall see.

The even better part is that I assumed somewhat unreasonably that the car was a white 1.4 LX (which is what the vast majority of ex-police 306s are). However it is in fact a 2.0 XSi in silver, and as for condition - I haven't seen it but apparently it's very good. Of course it probably came off the fleet 3 or 4 years ago now, given that it is seven years old, so there could be quite a gap in its history.

There is a chance that this car could be the greatest bargain they'll ever get - fast, cheap and reliable (!) but equally it could be a money pit. It doesn't seem that cheap though, given that a similar car from a dealer is £2,195 in the Trader - so call it £2k haggled as opposed to £1,800 once the new stereo it needs (and a buyer's premium maybe) is taken into account.

So £200 extra for a warranty and hopefully a 'normal' history...