Discovery TD5 auto y2000 - brakes - Winnie
I would be grateful for any feedbck on brakes & perfomance. I have had the car for 3 years, and has 30K on the clock. I dont tow, and no major probs so far.

I live by the sea, and my brake discs go rusty in 48 hours. The car rarely travels more than 20 miles per day, at no more than 40mph (with annuual 2000 mile round trip[s to Spain)

The brakes now need replacing, as the discs are grooved. I want to improve the stopping distance for the long trips, and the longevity of the discs. I have seen the Rossini product, and some enhanced brakes from Rimmer Bros. Any comments, or should I stick to original spec?

Re bolt on performance enhancement for the trips, I have seen Vanaaken, Dieselchiptuning & the Digital Powerbox fro Rimmer Bros. Are these worth the money, or should I leave well alone.

Any comments appreciated.

AW

Discovery TD5 auto y2000 - brakes - v8man
Brake discs go rusty on all cars overnight if it is damp. It is only surface rust and clears after the first application of the pedal. It is nothing to worry about.

As for enhancing the brakes, I would stick with the originals. The speed you are doing (40mph) is hardly taxing the braking system. 30k miles for a heavy car such as the Disco is about par for the course for disc life expectancy. If you buy brake parts from Paddocks or M&M 4x4 etc you will get them really cheap.

Concerning the power boxes - why, if you drive so rarely, so slowly and don't tow do you want more power?
--
\"Nothing less than 8 cylinders will do\"
Discovery TD5 auto y2000 - brakes - Aprilia
30k is typical disc life if you are doing rural/suburban driving. Obviously if you are mainly doing motorway cruising then they will last longer.

Disco brakes aren't that good so you could go to a larger disc setup if one is available (it will be expensive....). Drilled/channelled discs etc. won't make much difference to performance. At the end of the day stopping distance will be limited by the adhesion of your 4x4 tyres and the relatively high CoG which gives more forward weight transfer than on a saloon car.
Discovery TD5 auto y2000 - brakes - v8man
Thankyou Aprilia for clarifying the rural driving bit. That was what I was refering too.

I still maintain though tyres and brake not being that good etc. that with the driving habit described, that upgrading the brakes is expensive and largely pointless.
--
\"Nothing less than 8 cylinders will do\"
Discovery TD5 auto y2000 - brakes - Winnie
Thanks for your feed back. Just to give you a bit more info, we live in Jersey. My wife drives the car during the week, and the nature of Jersey driving is stop/start. The rust does not necessarily go, as braking is not too heavy due to low speeds.

The trips away are done at motorway speeds, so I would appreciate any increased stopping power, but if you think an Rossini, or bigger discs upgrade is not worth it, fine.

Any increase in torque might help on the mountain roads, acceleration pick up etc, hence power ehancement query.

Winnie