306 door clicking when closed - AndyBinLboro
I have had my 95 Nreg 306 Xnd since june and i have been very impressed with its handling, economy and general character as a long distance travelling car. However there is one thing thats really annoying me - the front passenger and drivers door both make really loud cracking noises when opened. Ive checked and they dont touch the wing so it is not that. I noticed today that there is a bolt in the tie-bar thing that holds it to the main body - and on the drivers side a sort of split pin arrnagement. I assume that the pin is whats supposed to be there - but it looks a bit mangled.

Any advice on what i can do to stop this really frsutrating noise or where can get a supply of these pins?

cheers

Andy
306 door clicking when closed - Civic8
I presume you mean the door stay..Where the bar goes inside the door.There are 2 rollers..One above the bar the other below..Both are sprung ie have springs on them..They need lubricating/including the bar..try spraying WD40 into the door frame around bar area..this may help.If not its sometimes better to remove from door then regrease. Others may have better suggestions
--
Steve
306 door clicking when closed - JohnPug
The loud clicking may be due to the nuts that hold this mechanism to the door, being loose or missing. There should be two, either side of the check strap.
306 door clicking when closed - Andrew-T
Yep, definitely sounds like the door check-strap. Could need greasing where it enters the leading door edge (as steve says), or slack may have developed round the pin on the A-pillar, which grease will not cure. If you're lucky, the first cause can be cured with spray grease, unless corrosion has set in, when you may have to live with awful creaking noises when the door is opened.
306 door clicking when closed - Andrew-T
.. actually (having read your original post properly) it sounds as though the door may have been off the car, then the correct roll-pin replaced with a bolt after being lost - unless the pin worked loose due to wear and was replaced with something bigger. Is there any evidence of repair work on that door?

Anyway, it may be possible to get a correct pin from somewhere - even buy a new one ...
306 door clicking when closed - AndyBinLboro
i think your pin lost and replaced idea is my best bet - i have liberally greased it all already to no avail :( does anyone know where i can acquire some of these pins?
306 door clicking when closed - PhilW
Peugeot dealer probably the best bet - have obtained door pins for Citroen from main dealer and they were only about 50p each.
306 door clicking when closed - Ross_D
Mine does this. The problem is that the hole that joins the strap to the bracket on the A-pillar wears and goes oval. A new pin will still make the cracking sound due to this wear.
The only way to sort this would be to redrill the hole slightly larger so it is round again and put an oversize pin in it, or replace the check strap, pin and A-Pillar bracket.
306 door clicking when closed - P 2501
I think Ross D has got it. On mine, which click very loudly - you can atually see the pillar end of the check strap and pin move in its hole when you open the door.

I fear you are right though, unless they sell oval pins it is something you will have to live with.