drivers door window tint madness - John of Rotherham
I've jut started to notice people are starting to tint not only the rear windows, but the drivers door window too with dark "celeb" tint.

I don't know about everyone else, but if someone wants to come out of a side road, then unless I can get eye contact, there's no way I'm going to wait for them - they could be staring at the clouds, eating pies, anything. I wonder if they'll realise after a while that no-one's letting them out?

It must be worse for cyclists - you rely on eye contact to confirm that you've been seen.

only a matter of time before they tint the front windscreen and finish the job.

John of Rotherham
drivers door window tint madness - cabsmanuk
Not long ago I saw a car going round a roundabout which had obviously had the passenger front door window smashed as the driver had taped polythene sheeting over it. Nothing too bad about that you may think but it was a black bin liner. The ultimate in window tinting?

Keep upright
drivers door window tint madness - Bromptonaut
Believe there are offences possible with excess tint forward of the B Pillar. Some guy in Manchester was booked for it in a Chrysler People mover and got himself in all the papers about how unfair it was etc.

Never heard the end of the story. You're quite right about cyclists (and bikers), eye contact essential.
drivers door window tint madness - Adam {P}
My *very* shaky understanding of the law is that sometime around early 2003, it became illegal to tint the front of your car. Tinting is not illegal - you are allowed somewhere near 30% VLT (Vehicle light transmission? Visual light transmission? Somethign like that)

Anyway, given most cars have a 30% tint anyway darkening it any more would fall foul of the law.

I think it's something lke that anyway.
--
Adam
drivers door window tint madness - Badger
I recently saw some authority or other on the box demonstrating an instrument that measured light transmission through such glass, and was busy handing out on-the-spot fines if I remember rightly.

John of R has raised a very important point in his opening post. I was always taught to get eye contact at junctions, and find it disconcerting when I cannot do so in such cases.

I saw a sign on the back of a van a little while ago. Something to the effect "If you can't see my face in the door mirror then I can't see you" . Seemed a sound point at the time.
drivers door window tint madness - cockle {P}
I recently some authority or other on the box demonstarting an
insrument that measure light transmission through such glass, and was busy
handing out on-the-spot fines if I remember rightly.

Essex Police have used it on Southend seafront when the boy-racers come down for their fun and frolics, I believe they have issued either compliance notices for failing to meet the Construction and Use Regs or FPN.
Cockle
drivers door window tint madness - Andrew-T
I think you will mean Visible Light Transmission - to distinguish from UV and other wavelengths which will probably have much lower transmission through glass.