grand cherokee 97 stiff clutch pedal - leeboy
I recently (last week) bought a 2.5TD manual grand cherokee and although I noticed the clutch pedal was stiff it drove fine and had only one previous owner. After driving around this week I am starting to think the clutch pedal is too stiff and needs attention. Does anyone know what might be the problem. I don;'yt even know whether the clutch is cable or hydraulic. There is no problem selecting gears but I might end up needing a knee replacement op if I can't solve the prob. Cheers
grand cherokee 97 stiff clutch pedal - John24
Hi. Don't know anything about the Cherokee, but try the obvious first. Check the clutch pedal. Is the swivel dry? A touch of WD40 might be the answer. Is the carpet interfering with the movement of the pedal? At the other end check the swivel at the lever arm. Is this dry? Again a touch of WD40 might help. You also need to identify if it's cable or hydraulic actuation as these present different possibilities.
grand cherokee 97 stiff clutch pedal - leeboy
thanks for the reply. it is a hydraulic clutch and I've checked the things you recomended and they seem to be ok. Any further thoughts? Just can't understand why the gear selection is relatively easy if your knee is strong enough to depress the clutch!
grand cherokee 97 stiff clutch pedal - Civic8
Don't know anything about the Cherokee

Would reflect this..Could be a problem with clutch release bearing. ie may be dry or not lubricated..even the release mechanism after slave cylinder either way its a stripdown job to correct..Anyone correct if wrong??
--
Steve
grand cherokee 97 stiff clutch pedal - Aprilia
Could be the release bearing is binding where it slides. Could also be the pressure plate diaphragm spring gone heavy - I have seen this before (not on a Jeep though).